G5s (singles) now shipping

rokrok
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
be still my beating heart, apple made a ship date. must be nice to finally have a chip maker who can make deadlines. and the duals are expected by end of month (aka within two weeks).

Check out the sweet box!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Sweetest box ever. 8)

I guess the elite dualie owners have to wait though. Oh well.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i was just about to start the same topic. i am really happy. kind of surprised it made their fp though. and for once, by august didn't mean the last day of the month. hurrah
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Well, the dualies will probably ship on the last day.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    in a totally stupid thought, i am surprised they actually posted a photo of the box, rather than a photoshop-rendered version of the box. most companies do that, but here you can actually see the cardboard seam along the top.

msantti, re: last day, cheer up. it's only about two weeks away. this is a far cry from the old days of aggravating delays.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

msantti, re: last day, cheer up. it's only about two weeks away.

So close yet so far.

As they say.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    For all of the fretting about whether 10.2.7 would be ready in time or not... it must be. I don't think these things are shipping as massive paperweights with no runnable OS on them.

...Still waiting for my dual, however. \ Just two weeks... that's all... just two weeks....
  • Reply 7 of 22
    pepperpepper Posts: 15member
    Well, I just called the Apple Store at Kenwood Towne Center, and they don't even have a demo model in yet. He thought they might be getting one in later today, but didn't act like many were coming yet.

So all of you whiners, complaining that your online preorder will probably come weeks after they are available for pick-up in stores, can quit crying and just be happy you are first in line.

Personally, I will wait until I can get the satisfaction of walking out of the store with mine. All the waiting for one to ship and get here would probably kill me.

pepper
  • Reply 8 of 22
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    "Shipping" doesn't necessarily mean fullfilling orders to consumers. First G5's out the door will probably be demo models and go to the Apple Stores, CompUSA and other resellers. Actual quantities in stock at those stores may not be available for a week or more according to an Apple Rep I spoke with on Saturday at a local CompUSA. I suspect that on line orders will be given first priority so some of those people could conceivably get their single processor G5s by the end of the week or early next. According to one report, large quantity orders of G5s to businesses won't be shipping until next month. Dual processesor models will not arrive in most consumers hands until next month as well. But the G5 is no longer vaporware. It really excists. Great looking box too.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    The question is not wether the G5's ship with X.2.7, they do.

The question is:

Are all of us that bought Early and waited for delivery of the G5's going to be given Panther when it comes out, or is Apple going to penalize us for buying a month or 2 early, before they ship G5's with Panther?

Also what keyboard and mouse are shipping with the G5?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by zoozx27

The question is:

Are all of us that bought Early and waited for delivery of the G5's going to be given Panther when it comes out, or is Apple going to penalize us for buying a month or 2 early, before they ship G5's with Panther?

technically, who knows? apple hasn't made a comment either way. and since they said it would be shipping by the end of the year, they can say that there was no public statement that would imply that panther would be available in the near future. therefore, people could complain all they want, but apple could say "we never told you anything different - your expectations were your own creation."

apple is covering their butts there -- i bet they're getting a bit sick of losing all these class-action suits from users, while the microsoft sheep hegemony seem to not mind that they're getting ass-reamed by viruses, spam and security holes every other week.

BUT, if apple wanted to start some goodwill and bridge-building, they could do a lot by giving deep discounts for all those who can provide proof of purchase of G5's, since those presales are gonna make this quarter look like a goliath compared to quarters previous.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by pepper

Well, I just called the Apple Store at Kenwood Towne Center, and they don't even have a demo model in yet. He thought they might be getting one in later today, but didn't act like many were coming yet.

So all of you whiners, complaining that your online preorder will probably come weeks after they are available for pick-up in stores, can quit crying and just be happy you are first in line.

Personally, I will wait until I can get the satisfaction of walking out of the store with mine. All the waiting for one to ship and get here would probably kill me.

pepper

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Knowing Apple the orientation of the G5 in the box matches the orientation of the G5 on the box. Details
  • Reply 13 of 22
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

in a totally stupid thought, i am surprised they actually posted a photo of the box, rather than a photoshop-rendered version of the box. most companies do that, but here you can actually see the cardboard seam along the top.

msantti, re: last day, cheer up. it's only about two weeks away. this is a far cry from the old days of aggravating delays.

If you look at the upper part of the "5" you can see the hole cut for the hand hold.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by zoozx27

The question is:

I have to second that. Can't wait for the first pics showing us what the keyboard and mouse look like so I can start buying accessories! Silver or White JBL Creatures.....?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

If you look at the upper part of the "5" you can see the hole cut for the hand hold.

you're right. didn't see it at first 'cause the lcd on my pismo is more washed out by the week. \
  • Reply 16 of 22
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Ahhh, it's the box containing the PowerMac, not some radical departure back to the Twentieth Anniversary Mac/G4 Cube...

• Reply 17 of 22
    The box is very NeXT... It's like a gigantic NeXT cube.

I hope someone takes delivery soon so we can finally put to rest the arguments about what mice and keyboards the G5s are shipping with...
  • Reply 18 of 22
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pepper

pepper

We have NO CLUE Where the Kenwood Towne Center is in WHAT STATE NEAR WHAT CITY please?
  • Reply 19 of 22
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    A quick search at apple.com reveals that Kenwood Towne Centre is in Cincinatti, Ohio.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Multimedia

We have NO CLUE Where the Kenwood Towne Center is in WHAT STATE NEAR WHAT CITY please?

Apple Store Kenwood Towne Centre