Herb Brooks Dead at 66.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For anyone old enough to remember the Miracle on Ice, and for hockey fans in general, this is a sad day. Herb was a big contributor to the game and more importantly a class act.

I miss him already.

http://espn.go.com/classic/obit/s/20...1/1594173.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    ^

^

^

*flings puck at empty net*

Ironically, HBO's Miracle on Ice special was scheduled last night at 10:00pm eastern. Gave me goose-bumps and a lump in my throat to watch it again, with all the cliips of Brooks talking behind the bench / being interviewed by HBO.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Thanks for the link Moogs, i remember that match well, he sounds like he was a really good man with a lot of bullshit-free wisdom.

I don't wish to appear to be flippant but this should act as a reminder to wear seat-belts, what a waste.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    It's a shame no matter how to slice it. I was actually involved in a situation like the one that got him in trouble. Truck ran me onto the shoulder at high speeds and I over-compensated to keep from rolling into the ditch. Almost went right under the semi. Scary shit.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    ^

^

^
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Pretty disappointing to see the lack of responses.

Just because you don't like the sport doesn't mean the man didn't accomplish things worth recognizing. He pretty much single-handedly motivated a group of kids to accomplish a goal that uplifted the entire nation, in a moment of true despair... I suppose many of you weren't even born yet (1980) so I shouldn't be irritated, but...

More on Herb.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Just because you don't like the sport doesn't mean the man didn't accomplish things worth recognizing. He pretty much single-handedly motivated a group of kids to accomplish a goal that uplifted the entire nation, in a moment of true despair...

The political ramifications alone were huge. It is a big loss for a very unfortunate reason. Anyone that doesn't know about the miracle should go figure it out. It happened in the first of about 15+ years of me going to see the Chicago Blackhawks and becoming a huge fan too.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Story from the local paper.....really well written too best reporter ever : )

The man did accomplish many things. But just because people don't post it on AI doesn't mean they don't respect him. Let people mourn in their own way.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Nah I really don't think that's it. There's a difference between ignore and mourning in one's own way. Take a look at some past threads about other famous people who have died in recent years.

Anyway, I'm not angry. I guess I should just face the fact that I'm getting older and most people on a board like this wouldn't even know who Herb Brooks is.

Such is life. Even people who accomplish great things will eventually be forgotten. Unless you're Isaac Newton or someone like that.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Only reason I haven't posted is that I have nothing to add. Maybe if I remembered the '80 Miracle better, but he's always been a part of a kind of folklore more than just some hockey guy.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Understandable....
  • Reply 11 of 12
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    As a Canadian, it is pretty difficult for me to admit this (if there is only one thing that Canadians are patriotic about, it is hockey), but what Herb Brooks and his team did in the 1980 Olympics was among the greatest victories in hockey history. And it was not just a fluke: that team had some great players and it provided a real wake-up to the rest of the world, showing that the Americans were not just baseball and football players, but were a real force on ice. Since then, the American presence in hockey has continued to grow. I think that Herb Brooks can take a fair share of credit for this. God bless him.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Indeed.

Seems some political powers that be in Minnesota want to rename one of the arenas after him. That would be nice. Would be even better if the Penguins' as yet undeveloped Arena were named after him, since he spent many years in the organization and/or working with Craig Patrick.