This forum may be dead in a day or two!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I know there will always be something to talk about...but seriously what will this forum be like without 15-inch PowerBook rumors? This forum may actually take a vacation.

The long awaited, much anticipated PowerBooks seem like they are on their way in a day or two. After years of snipping about the decline of performance in the Power Mac G4, IBM G5s were announced in June and are now shipping. The only thing left is the future of iBooks, new displays, keyboards, and mice. Yikers! Seems like all is well in the world, or getting near close to it! Bring on Panther...but alas, that is OS X discussion...it will be nice to take a breather from Future Hardware...see ya 'round...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Well, we could always start another perpetual and highly ambigious hardware thread which lasts for months and devolves into pure hypothetical analysis and speculation.. We could name it "G5 iMacs. When?."
  • Reply 2 of 38
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    or a "when is apple going to ship a G5 with more drive bays for us "professionals" so i can fit my 3 year old ide drives i have lying around since i am too cheap to buy new drives" thread...

\
  • Reply 3 of 38
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

or a "when is apple going to ship a G5 with more drive bays for us "professionals" so i can fit my 3 year old ide drives i have lying around since i am too cheap to buy new drives" thread...

\

IDE, that is legacy connection in Towers haha, jk man
  • Reply 4 of 38
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    iWalk!!! I've seen it!!! It exists!!! OMFG!!!
  • Reply 5 of 38
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

or a "when is apple going to ship a G5 with more drive bays for us "professionals" so i can fit my 3 year old ide drives i have lying around since i am too cheap to buy new drives" thread..

OUCH!
  • Reply 6 of 38
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    you rang?

Just wait for the first G5 upgrade cycle.

Current problems that require a thorough bitching about:

Consumer desktops are still woefully over-priced.

Apple still lacks a proper headless desktop offering in the 1000-1500 meat and potatoes range. The dual holdover G4's are a step in the right direction, but this range buys a HELL OF A LOT of computer goodness in the Wintel world. It's time for Apple to step up.

Laptops? The G3 is a dinosaur's great great grandfather, needs to retire to the tar pits, soon.

The Powerbooks are decent at the bottom half, and acceptable at the top half. They're still strikingly beautiful designs, but wintel has caught and surpassed them as far as larger machines go -- in terms of performance and battery life.

Lots of stuff still needs lotsa work, discuss.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

you rang?

Heehee. I love this place.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Apple still lacks a proper headless desktop offering in the 1000-1500 meat and potatoes range. The dual holdover G4's are a step in the right direction, but this range buys a HELL OF A LOT of computer goodness in the Wintel world. It's time for Apple to step up.

You forgot about the 499 mac that does everything yet some how costs 499 and is still different then the G5 towers.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Consumer desktops are still woefully over-priced.

I beg to differ. They're not overpriced, just nonexistent.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Once IBM gets the PPC 970 chip or perhaps 980 chip down to 90 nanometers and Apple puts it into a laptop, it is lights out for the world of Wintel as far as portables are concerned at the high end.

If IBM can ever get that Altivec enhanced G3 to Apple, it will be tough for Wintel notebooks to compete in the low end, also.

It is unclear as to what if any role that Motorola will be playing in Apple's future.

Anyone catch wind of the power dissipation on the forthcoming Prescott processor? That thing will be dissipating 103 Watts!!

AMD's Opteron and Athlon-64 processors aren't exactly lighting the market on fire either.

I guess Dell is having a good year, but they are married to Intel and AMD has essentially no chance of landing Dell as a major partner. HP certainly won't be pushing the Opteron. I guess that leaves Gateway as AMD's only big chance. I seriously doubt that Boxx will be selling any volume of machines.

Apple has already sold 100,000+ G5 machines.

While I understand where Matsu is coming from in looking at the current market, I just can't get enthused about the future of Windows/x86 computing.

For the first time in a long while, Apple has a huge advantage. By selling a significant volume of machines with 64 bit processors, there is an enticement for developers to develop some type of 64 bit "killer app". Developing a 64 bit x86 killer app. makes little sense as the number of 64 bit Windows machines will be very small.

The one thing I am still most amazed by is the 103 watts of power dissipation in the upcoming Prescott chip. Just imagine 2 of those things running as a pair or even four of them!! I suppose the computer can always double as a convection oven. Perhaps the law of diminishing returns is starting to over ride Moore's law.

Could it be that mighty Intel is beginning to hit a brick wall? It is a good thing they developed that Centrino processor. At least it buys them time. Once IBM gets a laptop version of the 64 bit PowerPC processor to the market, the door will slam hard even on the Centrino.

Anybody have any useful information besides the murky roadmap we have been given as to when IBM might have a laptop version of the chip available? That is the topic I am most interested in.

In another year, Apple will have complete superiority in the desktop market. Windows developers will be all over themselves trying to port their applications over to OS X.

The portable market is still a little unclear. I am certain that Apple and IBM have a plan, however. It is certainly an order or two of magnitude better than either Intel or AMD. An Opteron or Itanium powered laptop is laughable in their current iterations. Perhaps in another couple of chip generations, but IBM and Apple would have to fall on their swords in a major way for Intel and Microsoft to regain the advantage.

It would seem that IBM and Apple have learned their lessons very well the first time. I am very interested in how the second part plays out. It isn't like Apple or IBM haven't made colossal mistakes before.

With their backs against the wall, they have come out swinging and we all get to enjoy the fruits of their labors. After all, iTunes and the iPod would never have come out except for Apple. What developer would ever have developed iTunes for Windows only to watch Billy leverage the Windows OS to steal the application away. With the availability of iTunes for a different platform, he cannot leverage it away like he did with Netscape.

This would just seem to be the beginning. I eagerly await the introduction of other new categories of hardware by Apple computer.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Has to be one of the longest posts ever!! Nice job. However,I only made it through the first paragraph.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Very long, very enthusiastic, but I fear it is terminally rose-tinted.

Quote:

In another year, Apple will have complete superiority in the desktop market. Windows developers will be all over themselves trying to port their applications over to OS X.

Come again? With any sign of anti-trust troubles fading into the background, Microsoft has free and clear license to "extend and embrace" the other 10% (that would be us and the geeks with the penguin lapel pins). SCO is doing a dandy job of sanding up the gears in the Linux machine and the only worry left is that security software patent case.

Perhaps, just perhaps, a Blaster worm or three more will get people to start looking at Linux beyond the server, but not likely. 90% of the computing planet ignore the security concerns or have swallowed the Kool-Aid, full cup.

Sorry, but the "Microsoft is doomed, you'll see" masturbation is just tiresome.

Screed
  • Reply 13 of 38
    hahaha!!

don't worry we are good making rumors. I hope you are right, i really need a new PB.

Good Luck guys.

Matt31
  • Reply 14 of 38
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I know there will always be something to talk about...but seriously what will this forum be like without 15-inch PowerBook rumors? This forum may actually take a vacation.

I was thinking about this. Once I get my 15" Al PB I will be so busy with real life again I will have little reason to come hear to gripe and whine and rant.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Come again? With any sign of anti-trust troubles fading into the background...

The Europeans may have something to say about that.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

The Europeans may have something to say about that.

May, but I believe it is unlikely our antitrust investigators will be able to enforce tough sanctions against MS, not least because the GW Bush administration will easily paint any measures as "protectionist" or "anti-competition".
  • Reply 17 of 38
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Very long, very enthusiastic, but I fear it is terminally rose-tinted.

Come again? With any sign of anti-trust troubles fading into the background, Microsoft has free and clear license to "extend and embrace" the other 10% (that would be us and the geeks with the penguin lapel pins). SCO is doing a dandy job of sanding up the gears in the Linux machine and the only worry left is that security software patent case.

Perhaps, just perhaps, a Blaster worm or three more will get people to start looking at Linux beyond the server, but not likely. 90% of the computing planet ignore the security concerns or have swallowed the Kool-Aid, full cup.

Sorry, but the "Microsoft is doomed, you'll see" masturbation is just tiresome.

Screed

Damn skippy!

Why do you think $Macrosnot just invested a few million in SCO?

Why do you think $Macrosnot just invested a few million in Nutscrape/AOL (and effectively killed development of Nutscrape)?

They're doing a very fine job of killing off anything which may or may not in the future threaten $Macrosnot's market. With the Blaster debacle they have just made the case for Linux stronger since the worm affects their "securest-ever-OS" server snotware but by having their new acquisition/partner SCO sue over the "hey, we found 70 lines of our copyrighted UNIX code in some insignificant portion of the X million lines of code in the Linux kernel" stupidity they have diverted that one.

I'm afraid that Bill and his swashbuckles are moving in to ensure that they DON'T get any smaller than they are - lawsuits or no lawsuits. My guess is, though, that they'll need Apple around. Where else would they have their R&D?
  • Reply 18 of 38
    shawkshawk Posts: 116member
    Nothing to talk about?

It's time to start the Power 6+ thread.

What's going on with the Power 6+ at IBM?

What's keeping them from going to 35nm right now?

Why is it taking so long for them to build a quad 995+ 12" PB?

We need a 16 core 12"PB to keep up with the possibly forthcoming new Palm!

It must cost less than $75 or beleaguered Apple will lose the race to break into the emerging disposable cardboard computing market.

Will the Power 8 use true quantum gates or will we be stuck with just quantum spin tunneling?

Why are they taking so long to go to 10nm at Fishkill?

Why can't Apple put an 1015+ or Power 10 into a SE30?

And what about Motorola? What's keeping them from going to 130nm right now?
  • Reply 19 of 38
    tidristidris Posts: 214member
    Quote:

Originally posted by herbivore

By selling a significant volume of machines with 64 bit processors, there is an enticement for developers to develop some type of 64 bit "killer app". Developing a 64 bit x86 killer app. makes little sense as the number of 64 bit Windows machines will be very small.

The 64-bit x86 PCs will start shipping very soon. Any numerical advantage the G5 might initially have will have evaporated by the end of the year.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Yep, shipping RSN, we'll have to see if anyone orders any.