G5 on eBay, read it and laugh!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This fool is in my city/town, if he's dumb enough to give me his address methinks i'll go teach him a lesson

Apple PowerMac G5!! 1.8GHZ New, Just ARRIVED!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I suspect his thinking is most people won't take the time to personally inspect the product. And should anyone who does ask for an address, would simply be given a phony one.

He/she is obviously preying on out of town and newbie purchasers who don't know better.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    zoranszorans Posts: 187member
    Unfortunately for him he has emailed me from his ACTUAL ISP based email. Guess my question regarding "Where he imagined his address in Canberra was" has riled him. Poor Fool. Tommorrow i'll be contacting my old work collegues to get his Full Name and Real Address as I know the ISP quite well. Sure there are privacy laws being broken, but he would have to prove it.

Methinks he's going to shit himself when he meets me... hehe
  • Reply 3 of 10
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    Hey man be careful, you never know what "nuts" are out there.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolmac

This guy is 2x nuts... He sells a G5 (IF he had it) and keeps the G4?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

I'm sure you would probably agree I'd have to be a lil nuts myself to actively seek peeps out like this. My pet peev of all time are Internet Scammers after being burned a few years back, its just this time instead of just affording the luxury and pleasure of making their life hell this ones dumb enough to be in my reach... well i'll find out whether he's in my area tommorow if lucky. Otherwise if he's out of my area and there is a like minded person out there nearby i'd be glad to hint to a location.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Hmmm... got this in reply

Subject: Re: eBay G5

To: [email protected]

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 00:50:05 +1000 Status: Normal

To clear up a few things;

Firstly I have been asked many a time about how I was able to have my hands on something that is due to be released within days. The answer is that my parents work for a large Apple distributor over in the U.S and were able to secure a set amount of pre-allocated unit's of which they gave one to me. I think you misunderstand my previous message, obviously we both want the best price, buying & selling wise, now I will not commit myself until I receive an offer from the buyer that meets my criteria. Now you may ask why I am not willing to name my price, well obviously I might get a better offer so yes it is to your disadvantage

that you have to name your offer first but that's just the way the market goes. So until I hear a firm offer I am sorry but I will not commit myself to inspections etc. otherwise I will be absolutely swamped with people. Already I have received in excess of 15 emails and have made 3 appointments tommorow for inspections, I can however notify you that the reserve is $3800, any offers above are more than welcome to come and view. I hope this clears everything up.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZoranS

Sure there are privacy laws being broken, but he would have to prove it.

This justifies a breach of privacy? At least in the states, privacy is a pretty sacred thing. I find it hard to believe that you would not only be OK with doing this, but that the people you know whom work for that ISP would do it as well.

Seriously, even if the guy is 'guilty', you can't go breaking into someone's personal information on a hunch. I'm not even talking legalities here, I'm talking straight up ethics and morals.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

This justifies a breach of privacy? At least in the states, privacy is a pretty sacred thing. I find it hard to believe that you would not only be OK with doing this, but that the people you know whom work for that ISP would do it as well.

Seriously, even if the guy is 'guilty', you can't go breaking into someone's personal information on a hunch. I'm not even talking legalities here, I'm talking straight up ethics and morals.

Unfortunately, privacy as not as sacred a thing in this country as it is in yours. But then it's not as sacred in yours as it used to be, is it?

In any case, LoCash is right, ZoranS. This is really not on. I'm in Canberra and I'd be pretty peeved right now if Webone were my ISP. He/She hasn't actualy ripped you off. They're only trying to. Besides if this is from a US reseller then presumably this is a machine for the US market. I thought they didn't work in Oz. And it's illegal to import them (according to Apple).

Don't do it Zoran. Leave it to Karma.

CC
  • Reply 9 of 10
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    The "seller" has ended the auction early.

Do we smell something fishly
  • Reply 10 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member