New Cinema Display... When will we see one?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

To anyone, what is the point of a 30" display? Who here could actually use the screen real estate? Not want, but need. I'd like to know where the market for these things is.

Easy answer, photographers and 2-d artists.

The question is can ADC carry enough power to run the thing? 23" might be close to the limit of current draw, iDunno.

AS far as resolutions goes, there's still a little play left in the ADC link.

ADC goes up to 2048x1536 in it's current dual link config (it's one plug, but like DVI, it carries two links to go over 1280x1024)

So you could push the res immediately to 2048x1280 (16x10) and there's probably enough bandwidth to go up to about 2200x1370 at 16:10, about 50% more real estate than the 23"
  • Reply 22 of 30
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Oh I'm just sick of whiny whiners whining about people posting drivel when they themselves post nothing more productive.

Well at least you're at the top of the food chain.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

ADC goes up to 2048x1536 in it's current dual link config (it's one plug, but like DVI, it carries two links to go over 1280x1024)

Ahh, thanks Matsu, I was wondering about this. I thought they may have to go to a dual cable arrangement (ADC + DVI).

I'd buy one, but then I'm just a blinkered Apple apologist.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I think there's definitely a reason for some cosmetic and possibly a few internal changes. I don't see anything truly new coming though. Like say a set of LCD's that are much thinner, brighter, blah blah... blah.

Basically we might see the three existing monitors get spruced up a little and maybe a new aspect ratio for the 17". The main thing Apple knows it must change is the thickness of the plastic border that sits on either side of any of the three monitors. It makes using dual displays more clunky a solution than it should be.

Oh ya, they have to make the little Apple logo brushed aluminum.

• Reply 25 of 30
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    When someone actually gets their hands on a G5, and if the mouse and keyboard are the same, I doubt there will be a change to the Cinema Displays.

It seems like the mouse and keyboard are what is supposed to match the esthetics of the Cinema Diplay, not the computer itself.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    The new Panther build has the ability to have a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Wireless ability. So I predict apple will be switching to another company's product or themselves coming out with there own. That would then necitate an asthetic improvement of the Cinema Display...
  • Reply 27 of 30
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

...Basically we might see the three existing monitors get spruced up a little and maybe a new aspect ratio for the 17"

...Oh ya, they have to make the little Apple logo brushed aluminum.

I have a suspicion that if Apple switches the 17" to the new aspect ratio, Apple would use the same display that they already use in their powerbooks and iMacs, a display that in my opinion, is not of the greatest quality.

As for the brushed Apple logo- you can probebly do it your self with a Dremel tool.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I could propaply shave an inch off the edges of the chassis with a moto-tool also. Heheh.

• Reply 29 of 30
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

I think it would be more likely to see it at MWSF. It's only a month, after all. I don't think that we will see a 30" screen, though.

To anyone, what is the point of a 30" display? Who here could actually use the screen real estate? Not want, but need. I'd like to know where the market for these things is.

I'm not saying there isn't a market.

I know what you mean [about the 30" display.] That's why my optimum choices didn't include anything that big.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:

Hello!!...

Apple is making a play for the high end film market. The standard res for a film is "2K" or apprx: 24000 x 1500.

there is a market for these screens, It's just not at the consumer level.

Also I hope-assume that the 30" screen will be 4:3 aspect not 16:10 to conform with full apature 35mm.