WOW, head spinning with new camera options!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    What do you guys think of the new Sony DSC-F828? Is this good enough for headshots? more info HERE
  • Reply 22 of 43
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I've seen a big print done with 4-6MP. A six MP frame cropped square and then interpolated to a larger file in the computer (12-16MP, or something like that) and printed out up to 40X30, two people (bride and groom) and it looks pretty good. Probably for a couple of reasons, the softness helps the portraits b/c most wedding couples aren't exactly supermodels and you want them to look good, and past tabloid size you tend to view things from far away.

3364x2448 should give perfect letter size prints @300dpi or cropped out to a standard 8x10 at the same res.

@150dpi you could get gallery size 20x16 without doing any fancy interpolation to the image, I think for head shots there's probably resolution to spare.

Plus, you can shoot the RAW file and push the interpolation quite a bit in a computer. A little softer, perhaps, but it will let you make a pretty big print with more than enough detail for a face or two.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Anyone else looking to buy a new digital camera in the next 2-3 months?

Yup. And my head is spinning as well, Matsu. My 2.5 year-old Canon PowerShot A20 worked alright this summer, but I want faster autofocus, faster optics, more flash range, and more zoom.

I'm tempted to go all out for a DSLR like the Canon 10D. But despite recent leaps in price/value ratios, DSLRs are still too expensive for my taste. At this point I'm trying to decide whether to go for a pseudo-DSLR like the just-announced Sony DSC-F828 (the inclusion of a CF card slot makes this the first interesting Sony) OR a high-end P&S.

The PowerShot A20, an entry-level P&S, has done a surprisingly good job of fulfilling my day-to-day needs. So a better P&S like the PowerShot S400 or S50 would probably be OK. However, I really miss the precision and flexibility of my manual film SLR. On top of that, I would prefer interchangeable lenses, or at least a fast mechanical zoom, and an external flash option. Finally, I want to see how the Olympus E-1 (and the Four Thirds system) and the Pentax *ist D stack up before deciding.

As with the upcoming PowerBook revision, only time will tell.

Escher
  • Reply 24 of 43
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Sony's going to be out with a high-megapixel camera that has all the features of the F717, but without the 'soda can and a box of matches' for factor. It's called the DSC-V1. See it here:http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...quAcS&Dept=dcc
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

On top of that, I would prefer interchangeable lenses, or at least a fast mechanical zoom, and an external flash option. Finally, I want to see how the Olympus E-1 (and the Four Thirds system) and the Pentax *ist D stack up before deciding.

Escher

Early word on the E1 is that it has all of the cost of larger APS/35mm sensor cameras without the noise free performance. Poor showing in early tests so far. 4/3rds doesn't look like it has much of a future at 2399 for a body that requires you to immediately invest in new lenses. But Kodak and Fuji supposedly signed on to support the system and they may be able to intro more affordable models.

I'm leaning towards a psuedo SLR myslef, to tide me over for a few years untill the DSLR market options/directions become clearer.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Yeah, the E1 looks like it may have problems. Still I really like the concept behind the 4/3 system. Specifically I like the idea that you aren't stuck with one manufacturer for bodies, lenses and accessories. You can upgrade or side-grade your body and keep your lenses or vice versa.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Speaking of options, Kodak might have decided they'd actually like to sell a camera this Xmas season. They now have a 4MP 10X optical zoom model. 380mm of zoom seems a little excessive for an unstabilized model, but hey, people will buy it.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I'm sticking with my old analog Nikon FG and especially my 50mm and 35-105mm Nikkor lenses until a compatible DSLR comes down to around $1000.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I'm sticking with my old analog Nikon FG and especially my 50mm and 35-105mm Nikkor lenses until a compatible DSLR comes down to around $1000.

That sounds quite reasonalbe. Aside from a (relatively) low price, fully mechanical manual operation (i.e. via dials and switches, not buttons and LCD-screens) and good prime lenses are two factors I will be looking for in any DSLR I buy. Some twenty years ago, I learned to shoot with 35mm and 100mm prime lenses on my father's manual SLR. It's still my preferred way of shooting. I don't want no stinkin' autofocus zooms!

I know this might be a paradox, but I would really like to see a "simple" DSLR that works exactly like a good old manual film SLR. The only difference would be its use of a digital sensor instead of film. That would float my photographically conservative boat.

Escher
  • Reply 30 of 43
    I too have an old Nikon system and three manual lenses. (28, 50, and 80-200 zoom) The camera is marked only "FE" followed only by a sequence of numbers on the back, no model numbers on the front. I don't a lot about it, it was given to me, and I've been using it for the last few months.

Have Nikon mounts changed at all over the last 20 years, or were there a couple of different types of mount that were NOT interchangable with each other. Basically, will my old manual focus Nikon lenses work (without any of the electronic features, natch) with a new digital body from Fuji or Nikon? I could be tempted to go for a used S1 or Nikon body, depending on price.

Nobody at dpreview has an answer for me, anyone here?
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Quote:

Have Nikon mounts changed at all over the last 20 years, or were there a couple of different types of mount that were NOT interchangable with each other.

AFAIR, you can use at least some modern autofocus Nikkor lenses on old manual Nikon bodies and some old manual Nikkor lenses on new autofocus Nikon bodies. I think this is not the case with Canon and Pentax lens systems. Don't know about Olympus and Minolta lens systems, but I don't think their respective manual and autofocus systems are compatible either.

Matsu: Why don't you grab your manual lenses, head down to your local photo dealer, and try them out with a D100 or other Nikon DSLR? That would be an experiment worthy of your time.

Escher
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:

AFAIR, you can use at least some modern autofocus Nikkor lenses on old manual Nikon bodies and some old manual Nikkor lenses on new autofocus Nikon bodies. I think this is not the case with Canon and Pentax lens systems. Don't know about Olympus and Minolta lens systems, but I don't think their respective manual and autofocus systems are compatible either.

Matsu: Why don't you grab your manual lenses, head down to your local photo dealer, and try them out with a D100 or other Nikon DSLR? That would be an experiment worthy of your time.

Escher

So they might work. I guess it's easier to slap a manual lense on a body provided the mounts match up, none of the contacts would supply power, IS, or focus control anyway. One interesting thing is the crop factor of the APS size. My 28 becomes 42; my 50, 75; my 80-200, 120-300. A workable collection, but no wide end.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    A quick look over at henry's shows that DSLR's are still rather expensive in Canadian dollars and that I might have to wait a bit longer before I get a DSLR, I can always learn to simulate DOF in photoshop. A D100 would cost me 2799 plus tax, a DX lense adds another 1500.

Probably safe to assume that these are not for me, yet.

Anyone know of any good Toronto area camera dealer's? Someone once mentioned a shop (not Henry's) but I lost the thread, it was a long while back, I think they sold mac stuff too. Anyone, I'm so scatter-brained, can't remember a thing any more.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    AFAIK, pretty much any Nikon/Nikkor lense works on any Nikon body. My 35-105mm lens is AF and I bought it new in '99, and it works on my FG from 1979 (though since the FG is totally manual, it actually works as an MF lens). All Nikon lenses at least going through the 1970's use the same mounting system, including the prosumer DSLRs. It's why I'm sort of stuck in Nikon shopping mode, though Sigma and maybe others can also use the F-mount Nikkor lenses on their bodies.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

AFAIK, pretty much any Nikon/Nikkor lense works on any Nikon body. My 35-105mm lens is AF and I bought it new in '99, and it works on my FG from 1979 (though since the FG is totally manual, it actually works as an MF lens). All Nikon lenses at least going through the 1970's use the same mounting system, including the prosumer DSLRs.

There you have it, Matsu! IMO, that's a huge plus for the Nikon system.

I remember that Canon was able to move the focusing motors into the lens for faster near-silent operation. OTOH, Nikon had to locate the motors in the body to maintain compatibility with older manual lenses. That's why Nikon's AF lenses were originally slower and louder. AFAIK, Nikon now offers lenses with motors in the lens barrel as well, so this point is now moot.

Quote:

It's why I'm sort of stuck in Nikon shopping mode, though Sigma and maybe others can also use the F-mount Nikkor lenses on their bodies.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, BuonRotto. I would consider myself lucky if I already had manual lenses that could work with a modern DSLR body. Plus you'll retain the option to use your manual body, including with new AF lenses. That's very cool if you ask me.

My own manual SLRs and lenses are Pentax, and they won't work with Pentax's upcoming DSLR. So I'm going to have to buy into a new lens system when I move to DSLR. That's why I've been taking my time and carefully considering my options. Picking one lens system over the others is a big financial and long-term comittment.

Escher
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Good to know, I have options for the future. I can wait on the used Nikon mount (compatible) DSLR market, and in the meantime see how 4/3rds shapes up. Part of me thinks that between Canon and Nikon, those two are pretty much the "standards" so 4/3rds doesn't have much room, but if Olympus is quickly followed by Kodak and Fuji then the 4/3rds system does have the enviable advantage of a truly "standard" mount. The prices and performance need to improve though.

I think it's going to be 2-3 years before we can really speak with certainty about the future of the DSLR market. The APS/35 body plus lense hybrids look neat too. Someone could effectively own two systems that share most of their lenses by getting an APS size and full frame Nikon body that both use the same mount. Similarly, a Canon buyer could do the same with 10d and 1d type cameras.

Now if 4/3rds could be moved down to the "prosumer" level, well then... a whole new ballgame, bt not for the same prices as APS/35mm.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    And as I write, news of a Canon digital Rebel comes to us. People are saying the D-SLR may finally hit 1000USD. I wonder if Nikon of Fuji will make something similar.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:

And as I write, news of a Canon digital Rebel comes to us. People are saying the D-SLR may finally hit 1000USD. I wonder if Nikon of Fuji will make something similar.

Holy ****, the Canon EOS Digital Rebel will go for US$899 body only! That's insane! Looks like I'll be going with the Canon lens system unless the competition goes below the US$1000 price point before X-mas.

Canon's official EOS Digital Rebel has more info too.

Escher
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Not only that, 999 with lense, an 18-55 equivalent to 28-90.

Suddenly the DSLR system choise become a LOT clearer.

I wonder what Sony and Minolta were thinking, or if anyone knew or suspected what Canon was up to? Looks like they've been caught out investing a lot of development into a small sensor "prosumer" only to be beaten out by a proper DSLR for less money! That's gonna sting. I'm sure prosumer EVF's will sell well for one more Xmas season, but only to gadget geeks and not photographers. After that, unless they can get their prices down to 700-800, they're gonna get nailed.

If Canon were to use a CCD, possibly others might have caught on, but I think Canon does their own CMOS tech (not sure though) Seems no one was ready for this. The whole point of 4/3rds was to make smaller cheaper DSLR body/lense systems. Then Oly comes in with a 2300+ body. Canon comes in with a 1000USD body with lense!

The only companies with an inkling of the future might be Fuji and Nikon -- and either one will do well enough to save my lense collection. Nikon hasn't touched their "prosumer" EVF model and instead went down market with the 5400. And Fuji, with the S7000 went quite a bit under expectations to get a 799 MSRP (compared to 1200 for Sony and Minolta)

I think we're about to see at least 2 more DSLR bodies in the 1000USD range!
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Quote:

Holy ****, the Canon EOS Digital Rebel will go for US$899 body only! That's insane! Looks like I'll be going with the Canon lens system unless the competition goes below the US$1000 price point before X-mas.

I was going to post this earlier, but I couldn't wipe the drool off the keyboard. I've been eyeing the 10D for a long time, but meine Frau has different ideas on what to do with $2k. But $1k for you, $1k for me could work. I have a Canon 70-200 mm L-lens just looking for something to do.