G-5's 1.6 arrived at my office today

Comments

• Reply 21 of 283
    tidristidris Posts: 214member
    Quote:

Originally posted by richcigar

The first 2 G5 1.6's arrived at my office today.

Was a coupon for a free copy of Panther inside the box?
  • Reply 22 of 283
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    What about the mouse? Was the standard Apple 1 button optical, or is there an new two-button/scroll wheel mouse for optimal performance?
  • Reply 23 of 283
    i, fredi, fred Posts: 125member
    i call bullshit.
  • Reply 24 of 283
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    I ain't bitin' either.

If he really had it sitting on his desk he would of known about the clear panel the controls the flow of air in the case.
  • Reply 25 of 283
    Maybe he's having too much fun playing with the thing to care about proving that this thread is real.
  • Reply 26 of 283
    I heard that the G5s boot in about 10-20 seconds. Can you comment? Have you timed it?

Where's the floppy drive? :0)
  • Reply 27 of 283
    I'll get pics today. The PowerMac G5 disc has OS Version 10.2.7 (g5) AHT Version 2.1 DVD Version 1.0. The keyboard is different in the location of the usb ports, and if you look at the current keyboard, there are raised plastic around the groupings of keys, while on the new keyboard, it is as if the keys sit up higher off the keyboard. It is totally different, no brekas between the F keys above the letters.

The G5 does run with the cover off the side.
  • Reply 28 of 283
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

There is a story, somewhere, that says the G5 will slow down and fans used more often if you don't keep the clear plastic inner thingee attached. It helps to cool the innards. I think it's ok to remove the alum. cover though.

That transparent liner is an air deflector that helps channel the air into the '4 distinct thermal zones', and when removed, the system will sleep.
  • Reply 29 of 283
    Currently on the G5, altivec came in at 3.4 3975. I just got a 1.5 8628 on my dual 1.25G4. I ran again and got 3.3 4055 on the g5. Its rather quiet, with my G4 making much more noise, not that much more, but you can hear the G4 under my desk, the G5 is a much quieter. I have the picture, how do I post it here?
  • Reply 30 of 283
    I just opened the G5, took the pplastic out, and the fans really revved up, though it didn't sleep, as I'm still typing away.
  • Reply 31 of 283
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    help him post the picture people. quickly!!
  • Reply 32 of 283
    I had my in house publications person snap a photo of the inside, it's not the best, but it'll have to do for now. I can email it to someone who is willing to post for me
  • Reply 33 of 283
    i can host it for you, email it to me [email protected]
  • Reply 34 of 283
    Quote:

Currently on the G5, altivec came in at 3.4 3975. I just got a 1.5 8628 on my dual 1.25G4. I ran again and got 3.3 4055 on the g5. Its rather quiet, with my G4 making much more noise, not that much more, but you can hear the G4 under my desk, the G5 is a much quieter. I have the picture, how do I post it here?

Hmm, how come the Altivec scores are so low? Is this because the fractals program isn't optimized for the G5 yet?
  • Reply 35 of 283
    Quote:

I had my in house publications person snap a photo of the inside, it's not the best, but it'll have to do for now. I can email it to someone who is willing to post for me

Sure email it to me or AIM it to me and I'll post it on my webspace.

About the fan noise, it's quiet in relation to what other Apple? Weren't the Quicksilver and the mirrors(?) supposed to be the loudest? Or how is it relative to the Sawtooth?
  • Reply 36 of 283
    After a quick check of these boards along with the MacNN and Mac Ach forums, I cannot find a single report of anyone even getting a tracking number on a G5 shipment.

How did this guy get two yesterday?
  • Reply 37 of 283
    I thought that with the plastic liner removed the processors slow down to minimize heat. When you made your altivec tests did you replace the plastic liner?
  • Reply 38 of 283
    Quote:

How did this guy get two yesterday?

Perhaps he hijacked a delivery truck? It is strange that he seems to be the only person on the planet to have received a G5, let alone two.
  • Reply 39 of 283
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    well if the pictures arrive we can believe him!
  • Reply 40 of 283
    I emailed the picture to one of you guys. I ordered these in June for Yale University, I work at the Divinity School as Finance Director. I was shocked when tracking numbers came through Monday morning, and fed ex brought them yesterday. We ordered 5 but only 2 are in.