What ever happened to Virtual Reality ?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
so, whatever happened to Virtual Reality, I thought (ten years ago) it would already be big by now but its not, why shouldnt Apple with its current focus on software and user experience do something with virtual reality ?

I know we have QuickTime VR's but they dont really add to user experience in my book.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I don't think VR is really Apple's area.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    but it could be, quartz extreme seems perfect for a radical change to the gui, which others have noted in the past has remained functionally the same since its inception.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    It thrives in the same country as 3D television, videophones, smell-o-rama cinema and cold fusion
  • Reply 4 of 35
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I see VR having its uses in CAD, 3D modeling, maybe even games. These are not areas Apple is actively pursuing at the moment but who knows what the future will bring.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    There's not many things that could be done to the Finder, to make it more usable in 3D...
  • Reply 6 of 35
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

There's not many things that could be done to the Finder, to make it more usable in 3D...

Well you could organize your files like a city map. The finder could be a thomas guide.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    sherlock could actually help you find stuff, and he could have a british accent too.

I like the idea of my programs having personality.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    spazspaz Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

sherlock could actually help you find stuff, and he could have a british accent too.

I like the idea of my programs having personality.

yikes... remember that obnoxious bouncy paperclip in Microsoft Word? i wanted to kill it. i'll take my programs functional, and without personality!!
  • Reply 9 of 35
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The reason people don't want, say, an 'Immersive Halo 3', is because, well, bullets hurt.

But on a computer UI, this might be cool. Imagine column view, but instead of being a 'side scroller', it would be like moving 'into' a folder.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    beakeebeakee Posts: 64member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Placebo

[B]The reason people don't want, say, an 'Immersive Halo 3', is because, well, bullets hurt.

Good call.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

But on a computer UI, this might be cool. Imagine column view, but instead of being a 'side scroller', it would be like moving 'into' a folder.

I agree, anything that could add to user experience is beneficial in my eyes. I like the idea of a virtual community tied to realspace by wifi access points or something like that.

This board would definately be interesting in VR, maybe something like an old roman courtyard scene where new posts are delivered to you on a parchment or something.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Every 3D video game is VR. There is VR fine art being produced as well. Lots of simulation work for military and aerospace is VR.

If you mean why don't we use stereoscopic specs to navigate our computer's filesystem, well, hopefully the answer is obvious.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    what pill did you take ?

• Reply 14 of 35
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Man! It would be so cool to have a Photoshop interface like the one Tom Cruise uses in Minority Report to look through the psychic murder videos. Imagine to be able to pull picures and graphics in and out of tha canvas... with your hands!!! No freakin' mouse!

Hey, 2D is good, as long as I get the cool gloves Tom had in that movie to operate the computer. 8) And, of course, that huge screen!
  • Reply 16 of 35
    crossover to the Holography thread for links to virtual keyboard tech
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

If you mean why don't we use stereoscopic specs to navigate our computer's filesystem, well, hopefully the answer is obvious.

A couple of years ago Sony came out with some glasses that had LCD displays in them, there was one set that you could watch TV on and another (probably higher resolution) that could substitute a computer monitor, I dont see these things advertised anymore so maybe they just didnt work or were too expensive - I think the TV ones were around $1500 and the monitor ones were about $3000.

I also had another idea that would add to user experience - Quicktime previews and movies in a Virtual theatre, this of course would require Virtual specs and could very easily be achieved with technology current today, the only issue is cost. For the more forward thinking this functionality could be added to an ipod like device and solve the problem of people wanting to watch video on their ipod but not on a little 2" screen.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Whatever happened to "virtual reality"? Easy. It died from a severe case of buzzworditis about 3 or 4 years ago and was replaced by little-known variant called reality TV.

Don't believe me? Then what are people doing more these days: fighting King Zorgan and his mutant android army in real 3D space while wearing stupid glasses OR voting on the final episode of "Who Wants To Give My Stepdad a Handjob?", Wednesdays on ABC. ("EEEK...I, like, hope it's, like, Melanie...she's, you know, all cool and stuff? And I, like, SO love this show? Woo-hoo!" (question marks added for "upspeak" emphasis...)

Sadly, the latter...
  • Reply 19 of 35
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spaz

yikes... remember that obnoxious bouncy paperclip in Microsoft Word? i wanted to kill it. i'll take my programs functional, and without personality!!

/OT/ That reminded me of this clip. (Not for the easily offended).
  • Reply 20 of 35
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RANSOMED

Man! It would be so cool to have a Photoshop interface like the one Tom Cruise uses in Minority Report to look through the psychic murder videos. Imagine to be able to pull picures and graphics in and out of tha canvas... with your hands!!! No freakin' mouse!

Hey, 2D is good, as long as I get the cool gloves Tom had in that movie to operate the computer. 8) And, of course, that huge screen!

How about without the gloves?

*whistles and walks away*