G-5's 1.6 arrived at my office today

Comments

• Reply 41 of 283
    I can go live with my isight and show you all the G5
  • Reply 42 of 283
    bzbz Posts: 40member
    How about answering some questions..

1) What is the configuration you have?

2) Can you run some other tests like Xbench, SPEC or that new German one? UT2003? Bouncetest? Anything?

3) Can you run something with the new Photoshop plugin?

4) How does it feel? Compare and contrast to your other machine.

5) More info..

BZ

Quote:

Originally posted by richcigar

• Reply 43 of 283
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Originally posted by richcigar

[email protected]

I'm on iChatAV with my camcorder.

Serve it up.
  • Reply 44 of 283
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Not to comment on whether this is definitely genuine or not... but the story is plausible.

Before running something full-bore, it is common for companies to run a few things through the system completely to make sure nothing breaks. This is true for billing systems, manufacturing processes, and even business management systems. At our company, many of the part numbers have special cases triggered by parsing seemingly unrelated attributes. Certainly Apple?s system is more modern and robust, but it?s always good to test before committing completely.
  • Reply 45 of 283
    Hello, where's the pic?
  • Reply 46 of 283
    Courtesy richcigar

• Reply 47 of 283
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    sweet!
  • Reply 48 of 283
    cool...My first impression is that with one processor you could surely find a way to mount two more drives down there (hook em up to a pci ATA card.)

lets see more....or better yet, go live with the iSight!
  • Reply 49 of 283
    Well that's the first pic of a single proc G5 I've seen anywhere.

Sorry I doubted you richcigar.
  • Reply 50 of 283
    No problem, I don't know how we got it so fast. I love the neatness of the insides. There is plenty of expansion room, and it looks like space on the mb for a second processor.
  • Reply 51 of 283
    Only one processor fan. A little odd that Apple would go to the expense of engineering and manufacturing two separate plug and play fan modules.
  • Reply 52 of 283
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Don't worry ensign; there should be enough crow to go around.

Hopefully this will teach some of the youngsters to post with less certainty when claiming others are lying. Thank you richcigar! Keep them pictures and reports coming...
  • Reply 53 of 283
    In my opinion, they really engineered the inside. I've never seen a PC manufacturer go through this much trouble to make access and expandability this easy.
  • Reply 54 of 283
    richcigar,

More details please of any kind. Especially out of the box experience and real world use impressions.
  • Reply 55 of 283
    neilwneilw Posts: 77member
    Geez there seems to be a lot of empty space in there. Clearly, if they ever wanted to make a smaller, less expandable, single proc G5 machine they could do so right now. Are there PCI cards long enough to fill that entire area, or is that excess space?

Don't get me wrong, it's gorgeous inside, and yes I wish it were sitting under my desk right now. Let the benchmarking frenzy begin! I wanna see Photoshop tests with and without the new G5 plugin....
  • Reply 56 of 283
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    We video chatted, though he couldn't hear me, he swept the iSight all around and in.

Drool!!!

Thanks Rich and have fun!!!!
  • Reply 57 of 283
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    I don't believe it. Cleary a crappy photoshop job. Just look at the detail on the G5 label. And the macine is crooked. Fake, fake fake!

ps. more info on the startup speed and multiple application startup woud be great!
  • Reply 58 of 283
    Forgive me..... Is it Snappy? :-) Seriously though, how does the system feel in comparision to your dual 1.25 g4?

Cheers,

John
  • Reply 59 of 283
    So can we officially congratulate richcigar as the first G5 owner in the world? Looks like it.

If anyone else has one, they don't deserve to keep it if they're not online bragging about it.
  • Reply 60 of 283
    Quote:

Originally posted by hawkman

Can you report the OS build number from the "about this Mac" menu (click on Version 10.2.7 text) and the DVD product identification from the "devices and volumes" tab on the "more info..." window.

The information I was referring to in my previous post is found in the drop down menu under the "apple" in the menu bar at the top of the screen.