No Need For MS

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://news.com.com/2008-1082_3-5065...g=fd_lede2_hed

Interesting read if your interested about a company not using MS.

How much of Apple does MS still own, I thought they sold all their shares off.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    The investment M$ made back in 97 was like around $150 million I believe. And it was the non-voting share MS was taking.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I thought they did too, for a handsome profit.

Whatever they're holding on to is non-voting stock, so I think Mr. Ball's erring on the side of caution. But that's better than the other way round.

I love his attitude about all of this. It is ridiculous that the mere fact of using a different email client can pack a hall full of tech types. It is ridiculous that it should be thought so hard to adapt computers to business, instead of the reverse. And I'm glad he's telling it like it is.

More power to him, I say.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Is Mr. Ball running for Governor of California? He would have my vote! I like this guy. We are a society of morons by the mere fact that 95% of us are slaves to M$. How sad.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Thanks for that, ast3r3x. It was a good read. I should print it out and hand it to people who are wavering in the decision to switch...
  • Reply 5 of 16
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I thought he seemed like a really good guy. Wish he would have gone with macs, but I guess he was paranoid...or knows something I don't!
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x Wish he would have gone with macs, but I guess he was paranoid...or knows something I don't!

I think it was M$.

M$ pissed him off so much that anything connected with M$ by whatever form was to be damned.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

I think it was M$.

M$ pissed him off so much that anything connected with M$ by whatever form was to be damned.

But is Apple still connected to MS...and they wouldn't have the rights anyways to do anything. Non-voting stock is nothing. He has to worry just as much about MS buying RedHat as he does of MS buying Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

But is Apple still connected to MS...and they wouldn't have the rights anyways to do anything. Non-voting stock is nothing. He has to worry just as much about MS buying RedHat as he does of MS buying Apple.

We all know that was not the case, but we also know how misleading the media has been on this issue. Or any issue M$ related for that matter. Many articles in the media stated that M$ saved Apple with that "Investment." Truth is it was a settlement and an agreement that Apple would keep IE the default browser and that Apple would drop the suit against M$ for stealing the Mac's UI.

In his mind M$ having bought Apple's shares meant M$ was tied to Apple. M$ pays a LOT of money to media via advertising, commissions and such to spread the FUD. The monopoly is kept alive by propaganda, don't ya know?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    What ever happen to M$'s "your machine is only licensed to run our OS" effort. Strikes me if they persue it they could still sting this guy as he has removed the purchased os and put his own on, technically if think they class that as a breach of the licensing agreement.

Anyway good story we need more of them though.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    http://news.com.com/2008-1082_3-5065859.html?tag=lh

Great story. Geez I wish more people had the guts to do this after a BSA shakedown.

Yes I know the comment about Microsoft's investment in Apple was wrong but that's what happens when you deal with the Devil.

Fact is Apple needs to institute a Switch Campaign for Businesses. Trust me after writing a check for 6large to the BSA because of Windows Licensing issues I'd entertain the idea of moving to a more lenient license on my Client Machines as well.

Sometimes you have to fight agressively as the little guy. If Apple wants to grow in Business ..help these companies that are under constant intimidation from the BSA. You're always only one disgruntled employee away from being turned in and shaken down.

Apple doesn't come with the same licensing issues and has more application support. They need to be picking up these companies. If Redhat can do it then certainly Apple can.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Dammit!!!

Good eye ast3r3x. Mods .....kill this<sniffle>
  • Reply 13 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Merged hmurchison's thread in here, to spare the life of his post.

• Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Dammit!!!

Good eye ast3r3x. Mods .....kill this<sniffle>

Heh, well I hope I could recognize the basis to a post I made

Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Merged hmurchison's thread in here, to spare the life of his post.

Murbot is just so on top of things Though sadly I spent way too much time looking for hm's post!
  • Reply 15 of 16
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    would it be unethical to rat out your company to the bsa or whatever in hopes that they would change to linux or something non-ms, while at the same time begging them for a raise?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

would it be unethical to rat out your company to the bsa or whatever in hopes that they would change to linux or something non-ms, while at the same time begging them for a raise?

Backstabbing is backstabbing no matter how well you color it.