Interesting photo?...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Good Lord, they're COMPLETELY on crack!

Man, it's almost like they're not even TRYING!

• Reply 22 of 41
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    The one thing missing from the ad layout is the word NEW! MacMall always uses that when showing updated or new product. I get mailings every 5 weeks or so.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Can we call this false and missleading advertiseing?

-Owl
  • Reply 24 of 41
    ...and file a massive, class-action lawsuit? Payment will, of course, be brand new aluminum 15" PowerBooks.

For our collective "pain and suffering", of course. And the distress caused by their goofy retouch job!

Someone call Johnny Cochran or that Feiger guy!
  • Reply 25 of 41
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mskr

Hi, all. Good input from you all. Just wanted to mention that I had failed to look at the back cover, which is even worse!

[Click for larger image]

The PowerBook labeled '15.2"' is a shrunk down 17" (two holes in the top of the screen and slot-drive is clearly 17" drive), the one labeled '17"' is the same one as on the front cover, and it clearly is a 15" body with the 17" grilles and keyboard layed on top and mirror-flipped.

Holy shit, they're bad! I mean, this is a Mac reseller? If they couldn't get a 15" photo, then fine. but this is all backwards! (literally)
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

...and file a massive, class-action lawsuit? Payment will, of course, be brand new aluminum 15" PowerBooks.

For our collective "pain and suffering", of course. And the distress caused by their goofy retouch job!

Someone call Johnny Cochran or that Feiger guy!

or maybe somebody should talk to Sue at Apple Legal. wonder what they'd say?

although certain members PhotoShop mods of Apple gear ought to be exempt, right Pscates?
  • Reply 27 of 41
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Another thing worth noting, is that there are no ports on the side of the 17" powerbook. So its obviously a 15incer enlarged to look like a 17incher. The problem though, is that photoshopping a 15 inch PB to look like a 17 inch takes way more time than copying it off the Apple website...

.:BoeManE:.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    The pics are obviously fake, but maybe the current crop of 15" TiBooks will go as low as $1,594 (see ad) once the much anticipated 15" AlBook (G4 or G5) surfaces next week... or soon thereafter.

8)
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

or maybe somebody should talk to Sue at Apple Legal. wonder what they'd say?

although certain members PhotoShop mods of Apple gear ought to be exempt, right Pscates?

I wouldn't know...I don't use Photoshop for that stuff
  • Reply 30 of 41
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Just the "old" 15.2" PowerBook display photoshopped onto the 17" keyboard/base. Apple legal calling, what the f**k is on your latest magazine cover???

I can hear it now.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Has anybody actually called Mac Mall attempting to order the PowerBook pictured on the catalog cover?
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Yevgeny has the most convincing explanation although I think MacMall was foolish to do this and risk pissing off it's customers AND Apple all at the same time.

I could see that is could be intentional. The most obvious difference to me is that the keyboard is not black - the hinge takes close inspection to notice.

Try this scenario - Apple has been shipping stock on the new 15 inch for about a week now, but has forbidden VAR's from mentioning, posting pics, etc. MacMall just trying to get a jump on things without explicitedly violating Apple's orders.

Nah, strike that - they could never keep it secret!
  • Reply 33 of 41
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    I worked in Mac sales for a while and I'll tell you the truth.

Are you ready?

Someone in marketing thought the 15" photo looked better than the straight-on 17" photo. They directed the poor sap who makes their catalogs to switch them around and make it look like the 15" photo was for the 17".

He or she heaved a heavy sigh, wondered how he/she ended up doing this for a living after 5 years in art school, cursed his/her fate, and did what he/she was told to.

He/she then went home and b*tched for no less than 20 minutes to his/her partner about the stupidity of people in marketing.

Trust me, I've seen stranger and stupider things happen.

-DCQ
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Geeee guys... This is a special edition 17" TiBook..

Well... It would have made sense...
  • Reply 35 of 41
    They advertise 1440 X something on that 15"

:-)
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

They advertise 1440 X something on that 15"

:-)

Actually, if we look at the weight, it is the 12"... (Im looking at the last picture posted)
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Nothing interesting to see here people. Move along.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    The always list the best specs and the lowest price

Quote:

Originally posted by TommyBrando

Nothing interesting to see here people. Move along.

Was that really needed?
  • Reply 39 of 41
    That's all pretty much marketing is, grab a photo and retouch it up...the magazines do it, J-Lo and Jennifer Aniston got it, I think Stiffler even got a boob-job this month, and who wouldn't want one?

So hey, it's nothin' new, the Ad-people don't know details about computers, that's not what they are paid to do, they are there to sell. Sell, sell, sell! The only thing that is going to sell is something that looks good, aka "shiny."

-walloo.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Owl Boy

Can we call this false and missleading advertiseing?

-Owl

No. I 100% guarantee you that there is a disclaimer in their catalog that says that what you see isn't what you always get, and prices are subject to change without notice. Such disclaimers aren't there to be jerks, but because mistakes are made and you could easily bankrupt a company if a decimal point is misplaced.