sony ericsson T616 question

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I was looking at the sony ericsson T616 cellphone today. Sweet phone! Anyway, my question is if I could use it to get online wirelessly with a powerbook? I checked the sony ericsson website & it said that the phone was compatible with iSync. Is that all I need or do I also need a certain phone network. This phone uses a GSM network. I remembered that Apple's site had a list of compatible phones that did the bluetooth hookup, but I can't find the page anymore.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    If it's based on the T610, it should work. You should be able to use it as a Bluetooth modem over a GSM network.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    taztaz Posts: 74member
    Depending on who your provider is the set up is relatively simple. I tired a T610 (identical phone pretty much) with T-Mobile last week. When you go to Network prefs there is an option for the USB Bluetooth Modem (maybe Adapter). Highlight that and under bluetooth modem select Ericcson Infrared. In the PPP setting set it up according to your providers instructions and off you will go. GPRS isnt all that fast, atleast with T-mobile it wast. Very similar to a mediocre dial up connection, but useable. Just be carefull with the data plan you get. The MB stack up quickly if youre doing lots of srufing.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    You can also dial-out using CSD [so you don't have to subscribe to a "data plan"] .... this service is provided by all the GSM providers in the USA.

It'll take off your minutes instead of "data".

Then, you can dial-out via bluetooth with your T616.

btw, about the phone ... it's VERY nice! A couple minor quibbles, but that's it.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    dmgeistdmgeist Posts: 153member
    Yes the T616 is a fantastic phone, i love all the capabilities, calling just

a phone is an understatement, its that and more. Havent used the internet through it yet. But the bluetooth is wonderful. Must get one of the bluetooth handsfree units, the new one is like 98 at the website.

Btw, get the phone at at service provider. Its 249 at the website, i got it for 199 from a local cingular dealer. Have fun...........geist
  • Reply 5 of 10
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    From what I understand, the T610/616 does not have built-in Bluetooth, but rather requires an attatchment. Is that correct?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    dmgeistdmgeist Posts: 153member
    hahaha......no..........geist
  • Reply 7 of 10
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    They do have built-in Bluetooth.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I just bought it yesterday for $150 at my local Cingular store. It kinda sucks that the software that comes with it is PC only. Does anyone know if there is any freeware that can make themes for the t616?

Also, in the manual it says that you can import animated gifs into it but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. I've made some custom animated gifs & some cropped photos that I want to import.

Another weird thing that's bugging me is that I when I try to create a password on their website in order to download games & ringtones, I get a security error message saying:

You have attempted to establish a connection with "www.infospace.com". However, the security certificate presented belongs to "login.infospace.com". It is possible, though unlikely, that someone may be trying to intercept your communication with this web site.

If you suspect the certificate shown does not belong to "www.infospace.com", please cancel the connection and notify the site administrator.

I continued anyway, and made a password, ID name & etc, but for some reason the dropdown menu for the device model only had, "Choose Model" for a choice. When I hit OK to continue, it reloads the same page & tells me that I have to choose a model.

Has anyone else had this problem?

• Reply 9 of 10
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Currently on the Mac platform, there's no theme editors.

What I've done was use Theme Creator Pro to create the themes in Virtual PC. [GREAT program!!!]

To transfer animated gifs, just use the bluetooth file exchange [in your utilities folder] and send it via that. The phone will automatically put the file in the appropriate folder [my pictures].

As for the security/WAP issue, maybe check to make sure that security is turned on in your WAP profiles. Also, when entering login/passwords on WAP sites, the right menu soft key should show "edit" in the "more" menu. That way, you can enter your name/pass.

If you're interested in the theme I made, you can check it out at wap.badtz.net

• Reply 10 of 10
    seppakseppak Posts: 38member
    I've got a question...I just got a T616 and would like to connect my 17'' pb to the internet over bluetooth. The computer recognizes the phone, but when it tries to connect to roadrunner's dialup service, it says "no carrier detected. Please check phone line connection." I don't have a data plan and I'm using the Ericcson infrared modem script. Thanks for any help..