Hoping new displays will have thinner frames.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm not sure what the reasons are for why the current displays have a bulky and thick frame.

Any new Apple displays would be great if it were thinner, sleeker and obviously finished in that aluminum cheese grater pattern (just make the holes tiny).

I guess one other challenge would be to make it as sturdy as the current models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I'm not sure what the reasons are for why the current displays have a bulky and thick frame.

Any new Apple displays would be great if it were thinner, sleeker and obviously finished in that aluminum cheese grater pattern (just make the holes tiny).

I guess one other challenge would be to make it as sturdy as the current models.

Don't worry "Parker" soon you'll just buy that huge 30inch and not even worry about it.

Thin frames are sleeker that's for sure.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I agree. Apple's current frames are way too thick. What they need to do is to come out with a good stand instead of the three legged tripod. Come on Ive, if you can make the iMac into a beautiful lamp, how come you can't make a good LCD stand? PC LCDs are cheaper and better looking. This is not how things should be. Give me a reason to pay $200 more.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    It would be cool if the new design made it possible to place two 20-30 inch LCDs in such a way as to have one above the other. Having to such displays next to each other must make for alot of head turning. Why not just look up or down to see the LCD?

Please forgive my humble use of ASCII art (Unicode art??) It has been a long time since I had 3d software to use.

Code:

/ ____

----/ ScreenA /o \\

/ / < | your head

/ \\ >_ |

/ ---\\ ScreenB | |

/ / \\

/_\\ /_\\

No more side by side stuff, that gets weird when the LCD's are really large AND widescreen.

Obviously, the arms of the LCD wouldhave to be telescoping. Yes, this would cost money. Honestly though, not as if nobody else has telescoping LCD stands.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

Code:

/ ____

----/ ScreenA /o \\

/ / < | your head

/ \\ >_ |

/ ---\\ ScreenB | |

/ / \\

/_\\ /_\\

Best. Mockup. Ever.

• Reply 5 of 21
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I'm humbled.

Who needs Illustrator?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    HeeHaa..HaHaHa...Hee......Phew...Heh...

*wipes tears from eyes*.....*breathes*......

Yevgeny, that is by far the best ASCII mockup I've EVER seen. EVER.

You Rock.

• Reply 7 of 21
    I have to say that I was afraid to post it... for obvious reasons... I think it is still a cool idea. Glad to know that everyone got a good laugh out of it (I got a good laugh making it)
  • Reply 8 of 21
    For those thinking that Apple can't do anything cool, sleek and with some mobility, may I direct your attention to my recent favorite site in the world:

http://www.eyegonomic.com/

Honestly, probably the only company I've seen in the past few years that has bested Apple in an industrial design category.

I simply wish Apple would buy them or whatever and start selling them with the Apple logo on them! I don't know if Ive could top these.

• Reply 9 of 21
    As far as the 'up and down' thing goes, in my experience it's far more natural to look left to right rather than up and down. I've got a 22" NTSC monitor up and right of my dual-monitor workspace, and, let me tell you, it's a pain. In fact, I'm selling (or moving) this beast and mounting a flat-screen *above* my monitors. Both myself and my clients will benefit imo.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

For those thinking that Apple can't do anything cool, sleek and with some mobility, may I direct your attention to my recent favorite site in the world:

WOW. Puts Apple's LCDs to shame.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Yup. Very sexy displays. But...also very expensive displays...even by Apple's standards. I'd love to retro-fit my office with a bunch of these, but alas, they are even more pricey than Apple's lineup.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Yeah, I know. But that's not exactly the point here. Just talking about design and all. I'm sure there are ways to produce something LIKE those eyegonomic displays (mobility, rise, tilt, etc.) at a more affordable level.

I just showed those to demonstrate that an LCD CAN have some flexibility to it and still look "Apple-y".

• Reply 13 of 21
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    If Apple came out with screens like these and prices to match, everyone here would be screaming bloody murder at how expensive they are.

Prove me wrong.

Oh, I have one of Apples higly overpriced 20" Cinema displays awaiting my new dualie.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Yeah, I know. But that's not exactly the point here. Just talking about design and all. I'm sure there are ways to produce something LIKE those eyegonomic displays (mobility, rise, tilt, etc.) at a more affordable level.

I note that the flexible displays are 15" and 17", just like the iMac, and every larger display is essentially equivalent in design to the Apples (although cleaner looking).

Considering the way Apple's going (TEH BIGGAR!!1!) eyegonomic has only solved the mobility problem for the runt in the lineup (and, in a way, so has Apple). The eyegonomic W22 remains planted firmly to the desk, just like the Apple Cinema Displays.

Now, from an aesthetic point of view, Apple could do a lot worse than make the lineup look more like the Danish numbers. I mean, those displays have "PowerMac G5" written all over them.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    adamradamr Posts: 72member
    Not to be too picky, but ...

those eyegonomic displays only have the fancy mounting options up to 19 inches. The larger widescreen models only come with the little stand equivalent to Apple's.

So while you may be able to pick on Apple's industrial design in other areas, the mounting options on very large screens are still slim.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    I REALLY, REALLY wish some of you could a) read between the lines a bit and b) use your imagination (why do I have to explain this)...

1. I'm NOT TALKING about their prices, okay? I KNOW they're expensive. And yes, people WOULD freak and riot if Apple released monitors at those prices. I GET it. Again, that's NOT the point here. I don't have to "prove anyone wrong", because I AGREE...they are pricey little sumbitches!

2. Yes, the Danish company doesn't have the tilt/rise feature on their larger displays (beyond 19"). I can SEE that. But guess what? Don't you think Apple could take something LIKE that and extrapolate on it and carry forward to the larger displays?

Did I say take THOSE exact displays and prices and run with it? No. I'd merely like Apple to take a cue from Eyegonomic's design book and work some additional magic/coolness on it, that's all. Even if it was a pretty direct lift (or Apple, say, bought the company and worked on getting the designs and processes streamlined and cheaper).

That would be cool too!

What part of "this is certainly a cool-looking display...I wish Apple's were more like this in some ways..." are we not getting here?

Jeez, people...you're wearing me out tonight.

Where's that hammer...
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Well, I wasn't sayin', I was just sayin'.

As for as the ergonomic, adjustable thing goes...Apple is obviously lacking when compared to to EyeGo displays. As far as price goes...*ducks*...*was that a hammer I just saw???*

In the spirit of the thread, I've mentioned numerous times I'd like the *new* monitors to have >.5 inch bezel...but was always shot down by the 'current displays are here for life' people. 'Too thin! You'll mistake the wall for the monitor!!'

Pheh.

I'm *ready* to outfit my place with a half-dozen new displays, but the current Apple lineup doesn't do it for me.
  • Reply 18 of 21

I was looking at a good close-up pic of that adjustable Eyegonomic display. You know, that's REALLY snazzy and a cool idea! If there was some way to incorporate a side-to-side (left to right) swivel function, you'd have a LCD that's as flexible and "position anywhere" as the current G4 iMac.

THAT would make for a really nice display from Apple, wouldn't it? For G4 and G5 owners AND for PowerBook users too!
  • Reply 19 of 21
    hey their loading thing for their flash movies is the OSX startup and shutdown spinny thing

click on 3D movie on the right http://www.eyegonomic.com/page.dsp?page=49
  • Reply 20 of 21
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

2. Yes, the Danish company doesn't have the tilt/rise feature on their larger displays (beyond 19"). I can SEE that. But guess what? Don't you think Apple could take something LIKE that and extrapolate on it and carry forward to the larger displays?

I was suggesting that the fact that this quite capable firm didn't offer large monitors on tiltable stands was an indication that it wasn't an easy thing to pull off, even at the prices eyegonomic is charging.

So nyah.