G5 Cube

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Any chances of this happening? I have a G4 cube, but it's getting up in its years. I want a G5, but love the cube. There is some mention of it at cubeowner.com, but thats all I've heard of it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 100
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    that would be neat, but I don't see it happening, at least not "officially" I'm sure once the g5 gets fine tuned and revised and cooled down and all that, then maybe some 3rd party company will release an update....or maybe that's too far fetched, I don't know, it seems like a lot of people love the cube and don't want it to die, so it seems like if it can be done, someone will do it, at least with the cube.

if apple DOES do it, it sure as hell better be cheaper than last time.
  • Reply 2 of 100
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    We can only hope. Somehow the response of the Cube makes me think Apple will make another go at it. Maybe not this year but eventually.
  • Reply 3 of 100
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Any chances of this happening? I have a G4 cube, but it's getting up in its years. I want a G5, but love the cube. There is some mention of it at cubeowner.com, but thats all I've heard of it.

Not cube. Sphere.
  • Reply 4 of 100
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    THE CUBE IS DEAD.

DEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD.

(sorry)
  • Reply 5 of 100
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    No. OS 9 is dead, the Cube is just in hibernation.

I'd like to see another Cube, but please Apple make it low-cost!
  • Reply 6 of 100
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    For your reference, the official Apple position on the subject is here
  • Reply 7 of 100
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

For your reference, the official Apple position on the subject is here

It's pretty much open ended. Enough to fuel speculation that they may be releasing one around the corner or that they'll release something cube-like eventually. Computers can only get smaller, so eventually you'll have your cube.
  • Reply 8 of 100
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    I certainly would buy a G5 cube if the price were lower. It would make a great 20th anniversary model. (That's 20 years of Macs not Apple) Hopefully the 0.09 micron G5s will be ready by January which would be perfect timing.
  • Reply 9 of 100
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    That article is from July of 2001. A lot could have changed by then. I would love to see another cube. I love mine. Also, what is the 0.09 micron G5? Is it an upgraded version of the G5, is is smaller, or cooler than the current G5? Thanks.
  • Reply 10 of 100
    i wish!
  • Reply 11 of 100
    I saw at macwhispers awhile back that Apple was getting a quote from the company that first supplied them with the cube casing for the end of the year. It'll be the 20th anniversity, and a reborn G5 Cube would be awesome.
  • Reply 12 of 100
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    I think they could call it "the toaster" because that is how hot an 8" enclosure would be with a faster 970 in it. It would kinda match the appliance thing they have going on with the lamp-style iMacs.
  • Reply 13 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

No. OS 9 is dead, the Cube is just in hibernation.

I loves this comic.

I think Apple needs a consumer level computer that isn't an all-in-one. The Cube G5 could be the answer. They also need a consumer-level tower. That doesn't mean a neutered PowerMac, just? we shout requests, they mold them into stuff.

I'd buy a Cube G5.
  • Reply 14 of 100
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    So many factors to consider. I for one am rooting for a return of the cube, this time, done right (ie. the price)

There's little question where Apple's heart lies with regards to cheaper computers -- THEY SHOULD BE AIO's! I can't even disagree with that too much, except that their AIO's ARE NOT really affordable. A computer that costs 500USD is never going to be a performance monster and no amount of upgrading will do that. But at 500USD you can afford to just upgrade the whole shebang every now and again. Problem for Apple is they don't have anything that cheap. Not really a problem either, the way I see it. But an eMac could cost 700 right NOW! and iMacs could and should be in the 899-1299 range right NOW! (All 17's, if they keep a 15" LCD they could go even lower at the bottom. TFT is CHEAP now, and so is PPC (iMacs use MPC, not XPC, hence cheap CPU costs too).

So, while I don't really think Apple will make a "cheap" AIO, they can and NEED an "affordable" AIO. The competition sets the standard. Between 700-1300USD X86 computers, variously optioned, are very good and offer ALL of the features of consumer macs (only faster and with more RAM/HDD space and better video cards.) Apple can win back points for app integration and design, and ease, but not when iMacs are up to 500USD too expensive.

If, then, Apple can get it's e/iMacs to where they need to be price-wise, they will have a lot of room between the Towers and the iMacs to insert another line.

Bump the towers to all dual configs, they are pro machines afterall. Kepp the AIO's on G4's but GET THE PRICES DOWN! and slap a G5 cube between them.

e/iMac 700-1299

Cube G5, 1199-1599

Dual towers 1999-2999.

It will sell.
  • Reply 15 of 100
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    matsu, i couldn't agree with you more. coming from someone who has been slaving away figuring out how and when to buy a new mac tower, i can tell you this:

lots of people are buying that dual g5 for the additional power. and the 1.6 ghz g5 seems like the worst deal of the lot. BUT what if a single 1.6 or 1.8 ghz g5 came available in a 10" cube? (i'm adding a couple inches for cooling and a full-sized agp and pci-x slot).

now you have to admit a LOT of people would buy the single processor g5's in that small a form. give up a processor, but get back all that space and quiet for a little less money. hmmm...

apple did leave the window open for the cube to return. they learned a few lessons about the cube market, too. the market IS there (and it's certainly getting a lot of value for those willing to invest in upgrades and used geforce3 cards to go in 'em, plus they still sell well in used shops), but apple needs to tone down the price, and allow for just a little bit of internal expansion, and they'll sell hand over fist. but they also need to give the market a little more time to forget that failure (i think it bruised steve's ego a bit to have another steve-inspired cube get, um, "steve'd")
  • Reply 16 of 100
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Matsu is right. I would buy at those prices. BRING BACK THE CUBE!!! At the 1199-1599 price range those things would sell like there's no tomorrow. The market is there and I think people want to see something else cool from Apple. I know I sit here and wait to be amazed by the next thing that they come up with. They make amazing machines and the Cube fits the Apple style. I would buy another one. I'm going on 3 years with mine and I have never once had a single problem with it. I recently replaced the HD, but that was because when I bought it I was stupid and only got a 20GB drive. The thing runs like a dream and it is so quiet, if I didn't have it proudly displayed on my desk, you wouldn't even know it was there. BRING IT BACK!!!!
  • Reply 17 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

Not cube. Sphere.

It Could look like the speakers to upgrade it you just pull out the reflective part

Edit: better yet the middle would be hollow to allow for cooling
  • Reply 18 of 100
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    the G5 is not just a "new processor", it has a completly new architecture, the mainboard is totally diffenrent from any other mac apple has build before.

no, no way to implant a G5 proc into a Cube!

have you ever experience a G5 in real life? these 9 vents are working really hard! ok, ok, inside my Cube i do see the 4 holes for installing a tiny lil' vent, but... hey, come on!

BUT:

maybe, one day we see the return of the Cube - as a home entertainment machine. with a G4, 120Gb hd, a superdrive and some kind of remote control (bluetooth?) it is a very nice mp3, iTunes, dvd machine...- parts are getting cheaper, and for a "radiorecorder" it would be a killerdesign...- yes, you have to change the outside material, you have to bind jonathan, but a Cube in a lets say iBookish white plastic...? why not?

don't sell it as a computer, it's a media-hub...- it's a class of its own, it's a Cube!!
  • Reply 19 of 100
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

the G5 is not just a "new processor", it has a completly new architecture, the mainboard is totally diffenrent from any other mac apple has build before.

no, no way to implant a G5 proc into a Cube!

have you ever experience a G5 in real life? these 9 vents are working really hard! ok, ok, inside my Cube i do see the 4 holes for installing a tiny lil' vent, but... hey, come on!

BUT:

maybe, one day we see the return of the Cube - as a home entertainment machine. with a G4, 120Gb hd, a superdrive and some kind of remote control (bluetooth?) it is a very nice mp3, iTunes, dvd machine...- parts are getting cheaper, and for a "radiorecorder" it would be a killerdesign...- yes, you have to change the outside material, you have to bind jonathan, but a Cube in a lets say iBookish white plastic...? why not?

don't sell it as a computer, it's a media-hub...- it's a class of its own, it's a Cube!!

If Apple were to do a home entertainment "Hub" then it should be of a form factor that fits within a home entertainment system, like those used in audio equipment. This would be easier to sell in this market with the added beneifts of bieng less expensive to manufacture and offer the ability to be more upgradable (you could put PCI slots in it easier than you could a Cube).
  • Reply 20 of 100
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I had a dream about a cube...it was brushed metal, and on the front it had powerbook-style vents, and on the back it had one cut-out circular section, which revealed some silver mesh. On the front, it had some ports lined across the top, and a LARGE (like the size of a quarter) crome power button centered in the middle of the front. When it slept, the power symbol pulsed cool blue, but also the ring around the power button also pulsed.

Maybe I should do a very sophisticated mockup:

| |

| O |

| | (front)

----------

Oops...it formatted wrong. Oh well.