Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 556
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    *huddles in corner*

Next Tuesday...Nex Tuesday...Next Tuesday...
  • Reply 42 of 556
    Ah, I see someone already posted it...

It may not seem like much at first glance but they only use that "unveiling" photo when something new is announced. They never go into details because they don't know them at press time. Let's hope this is a good omen.
  • Reply 43 of 556
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

It may not seem like much at first glance but they only use that "unveiling" photo when something new is announced. They never go into details because they don't know them at press time. Let's hope this is a good omen.

Right under the "PowerBook G4" caption, I can just make out where the picture says "PowerBook G4 up to 1GHz". I'm fairly sure any round of new PowerBooks models would exceed the current 1GHz top end. Nothing that I can make out in the rest of the text hints at anything new either.
  • Reply 44 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Right under the "PowerBook G4" caption, I can just make out where the picture says "PowerBook G4 up to 1GHz". I'm fairly sure any round of new PowerBooks models would exceed the current 1GHz top end. Nothing that I can make out in the rest of the text hints at anything new either.

As I said, they always show a current model (and specs) in those "unveiling" issues because they don't know them at press time. Otherwise you wouldn't have to call for details would you?
  • Reply 45 of 556
    nemesisnemesis Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

The latest print catalog shows their "unveiling" photo that is used whenever new Apple products are announced, typically right after an expo or event but too soon to show the actual new products at print time. In the caption it says something about the new portables for professionals and to call for details. Obviously they were expecting them too. I'm thinking no later than Tuesday as a result. Am I the only one who got this catalog?

Ya i have been folowwing the picture in the macmall in the other forum. Pretty odd eh? I didnt get that macmall, the last one i got had a G5 on the front. Just a cheap marketing ploy.
  • Reply 46 of 556
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I want to know whatever came from this posting from Bill M. It's interesting that we seem to be on the cusp of new PowerBooks and then this piece of info posted on Aug. 10th by Bill M:

Quote:

Earlier this week, while visiting an Apple Store, a young woman there mentioned something that left me in shock. We were part of a small crowd being given an iChat AV demo. When the Apple rep paused his presentation so a few of us could get a hands on test of an Aiport and iSight enabled 12"PB, she turned to me and said something to the tune of: Apple has a killer 15" PB replacement for the week of Aug/25. I will sport a 1.2ghz IBM 970 processor at the same price point of the current model. I immediately asked if she meant a faster Mot G4, her reply being that she knew for a fact that the upcoming 15" will have a low power IBM 970.

To cut a long story short, her comments in summary:

- low power G5 (low speed??? low wattage???)

- same price as current 15" w/superdrive

- full specs and form factor as current 17" Al PB

- better battery life

- cooler (temperature)

- introduction and shipping date week of Aug/25

- performance info coming from her acquaintance at IBM

- form and price coming from bits she heard elsewhere

She mentioned that it would have a 50% to 75% overall performance boost over the current model, mostly due to a much faster "internal bus" and, obviously, the new G5. I couldn't believe her comments but tried to hide my skepticism and let her follow through with her story. She mentioned that her husband had pre-ordered a dual 2.0g G5 and that she would get the new "PBG5" by the end of the month, at the same time the "slower" G5 towers will start shipping.

This might have been yet another wishful thinking conversation between 2 Mac fanatics, but I still find her story quite credible. While my limited technical knowledge prevents me from shooting down her claims, she didn't seem to be the type that would make up a story like that just to share it with a total stranger.

I won't hold my hopes up for a PBG5 in just a few weeks, since I will get whatever Apple brings in place of the (aging) TiBook, G4 or else. But something similar to what this woman described would certainly fit in line with Jobs comments about this being the year of the portables.

The iChat demo was over and the crowd dispersed. We exchanged e-mail addresses as she promised to keep me posted if she learned anything new. Our conversation ended soon thereafter. Over the last couple of years, I have had numerous discussions with friends and strangers alike regarding upcoming Apple products; this is the first time I feel comfortable enough to post a roundup.

Quote:

Just a couple of clarifications about my original post above. First of all, I wasn't like taking notes or anything of that sort. I am just relying on my old and fuzzy recollection of the event. So, albeit the conversation lasted several minutes, only the most juicy details stuck in my mind. Alas, it is not a matter of why I award this woman so much credibility in her comments, but rather that I find it hard to believe she would make up such a story and share it out of the blue if she didn't believe it. Could she have been misguided? Probably. Did I fall for a too good to be true story? Probably, only time and whatever Apple delivers will tell. Either way, I am on the market for a new PowerBook (just sold my Ti400), so I am sure I will get anything Apple delivers as a 15" PB replacement. Hopefully that means soon. Ok, back to the story...

When the woman mentioned that she expects to get the new PBG5 at the same time the "slower' G5 towers start shipping, she was talking about the 1.6 and 1.8 G5s, as compared to the fastest dual 2.0 G5s that should (according to her husband) ship in late september. She never meant that the new PB would be faster than any of the new towers. My fault, if I misrepresented that.

"Same form factor as the current 17"PB"... I believe those were her words, but alas she was talking about the material and overall appearance at the time. I don't think she meant size.

Even if her comments were half true, or utterly false, it was indeed an interesting conversation. As I said, I have heard even more sensational stories before, that have proven to be all lies or fabrications, but I thought this was worth sharing here this time around.

I just sent her an e-mail, in case she remembers our conversation and wishes to add anything new. If and when she replies, I will post any news here.

Bill M, did you have any further contact and any new info???
  • Reply 47 of 556
    G5 Powerbook next tuesday??

I call the bull on that one.

Though I wouldnt mind being tottaly wrong.
  • Reply 48 of 556
    G5 powerbooks on Tuesday....hmmm....

That would be very cool.

I find it hard to believe, however, with the new Moto chips supposedly ready. Thinking like Apple, it would seem more reasonable to squeeze more life out of the G4 this time around saving the G5 for the powerbook when IBM can get to 90 nm (maybe in between Jan.-March).

That seems more Apple-like to me....

But, it would be quite a surprise and would fulfill the "year of the laptop" proclamation if it did happen. I guess we will find out in a few days.

-Dr. Bimane
  • Reply 49 of 556
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes, it'd be way cool to have a G5 PB next week but what are the chances? In my wildest and most fanciful imaginings, I can see Mot putting their new 7457 chips into new iMacs and IBM gets to populate new PBs. In my dreams!

I called both of the Apple stores near me (I just happen to live right between them, each only 4 or 5 miles away) and neither has a G5 to put on display, let alone sell. Imagine a G5 PB being announced next week. Mmm hmmm.

Anyway, Bring On the New PowerBooks already!
  • Reply 50 of 556
    It's an interesting story, and I certainly would weep tears of joy if it were true but what are the odds that an absolutely HUGE product announcement wouldn't be made by Steve with the Reality Distortion Field in full effect?

Like most, whatever Apple rolls out to replace the 15" Ti will end up in my laptop bag the minute it's announced.
  • Reply 51 of 556
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Honestly...I think perhaps there have been some very minor last minute details that have delayed PowerBooks. I hope they fix the glitches and are a go so we can bury the hatchet on Monday with new PowerBooks!
  • Reply 52 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

[B]Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes, it'd be way cool to have a G5 PB next week but what are the chances? In my wildest and most fanciful imaginings, I can see Mot putting their new 7457 chips into new iMacs and IBM gets to populate new PBs. In my dreams!

If I remember correctly, there was a similar mentality floating around these forums on November 5th. The typical expectation was 933 Mhz G4s with combo drives and updated Radeon 7500 Combo Drives. Everyone said superdrives "weren't ready" or just weren't possible. Look what Steve did to us then. He gave us 1 Ghz G4s with the most advanced mobile GPU at the time and it is still top dog (unless the Radeon 9600 Mobility is out there) and of course...SUPERDRIVES. Never doubt Steve Jobs' ability to shock and amaze. I for one just sold my TiBook 667, am using an 800 Mhz 12.1 Combo iBook (absolutely NO sex appeal next to my old Ti) to hold me over, and will be first in line for the G5 Powerbook, even if it means waiting until January.
  • Reply 53 of 556
    naufnauf Posts: 12member
    Hey all! I thought tonight I'd head over the Apple.com and configure a 17" Powerbook just to see what the shipping date on it was, just out of curiousity. After customizing it and whatnot, the shipping date which was always 1-3 days is now 3-5 days which I found interesting. Also, I priced out a 12" Powerbook w/Superdrive just to see the shipping date on that and it came out 7-10 days (up from 1-3 days)! I think that some of you guys can agree that this is solid evidence that possibly next week could be the real introduction for the new Powerbooks (hopefully) seeing as this is the first time the shipping dates have changed so drastically.
  • Reply 54 of 556
    are you suggesting that If I order the current powerbook for $1399 (12")

I will get the new revised version?...I dont know...seems kinda shady...

it would be cool though
  • Reply 55 of 556
    I just checked amazon.com for the 1G 15" PB, and it says it is no longer stocked, or has been discontinued. I hope this means its replacement will be there soon, as I have been waiting for months like everyone else, and I'm becoming desperate.
  • Reply 56 of 556
    I would have loved to buy a maxed out 1 Ghz TiBook back on November 6th. Must be nice...top dog for nearly 10 months.
  • Reply 57 of 556
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    Curiously though, the shipping time at Apple.com for the 15" Ti Book which had been holding at 5 - 7 days has just now dropped to 3 - 5 days. What does that mean? Hmmmm.
  • Reply 58 of 556
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Goddam. You people are reading tea leaves
  • Reply 59 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

I would have loved to buy a maxed out 1 Ghz TiBook back on November 6th. Must be nice...top dog for nearly 10 months.

Got mine on November 18th. Everyday that goes by without a PowerBook update is another day of value from this fortuitist purchase.
  • Reply 60 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

Curiously though, the shipping time at Apple.com for the 15" Ti Book which had been holding at 5 - 7 days has just now dropped to 3 - 5 days. What does that mean? Hmmmm.

it means that shipping dates are a poor indicator of when new hardware is released. you might as well try guessing the release date with a crystal ball or animal entrails.

apple manages its inventory on a JIT or near JIT basis and shipping dates fluctuate depending inventory levels.