iChat AV

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
After the beta expires on December 31st will we see a new version of iChat (1.5 or something like that) so that those of us who havn't upgraded to panther yet because we cant afford a G5 won't have to go back to iChat 1.0? I like the features of iChat AV and would like some of them in regular iChat so I don't have to pay to upgrade. Remember, I have to save up for my G5, I cant go blowing money on iChat AV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

After the beta expires on December 31st will we see a new version of iChat (1.5 or something like that) so that those of us who havn't upgraded to panther yet because we cant afford a G5 won't have to go back to iChat 1.0? I like the features of iChat AV and would like some of them in regular iChat so I don't have to pay to upgrade. Remember, I have to save up for my G5, I cant go blowing money on iChat AV.

• Reply 2 of 12
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    By the time you get around to buying that G5, it will likely come with Panther installed, Cheapo.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    iChat AV will be like 29$ or somethin'. Steve said so in the WWDC keynote. Included with Panther, or 29$ for jaguar customers. I don't think this will make a dent in your G5 piggy bank....i'm sure you could almost find this much in your couch cushions, if you have between now and january to find it

• Reply 4 of 12
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    If I don't get Panther by then I'm reverting back to 1.0. I'm not paying $30 for an instant message client.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwill

If I don't get Panther by then I'm reverting back to 1.0. I'm not paying $30 for an instant message client.

i think the whole point is, just buy Panther.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Yeah. I think Jobs said that in the Keynote featuring it too, but I don't perfectly remember.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    This is true just go with Panther for 129. Then think of IChat A/V as being free.

Johnny
  • Reply 8 of 12
    siletzsiletz Posts: 28member
    ichat AV doesn't work on dialup anyway, found that out after spending $30 on a mic. No broadband out my way.\
  • Reply 9 of 12
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Off topic though, guys does iChat AV work with AIM (Winblows Version), I mean video and audio chat being compatible with Winblows version of AIM.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    If I read that post correctly, currently, no it doesn't. Audio and video chats only work iChat AV-iChat AV. They should at least get the Audio chats to work with any user that has Talk enabled. And they should get it to eat less CPU...My computer isn't one of the faster ones; in an audio chat AV takes up 30-50% of my CPU CONSTANTLY, which is annoying when you're trying to do anything else.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by siletz

ichat AV doesn't work on dialup anyway, found that out after spending $30 on a mic. No broadband out my way.\

The V part of the AV doesn't work on dialup (but what does? ) However, you can do audio chat with it. No long distance charges or anything like that, one of the advantages. But the coolest part of it is the video. I was stranded without broadband for a long time. I finally got it about 5 months ago and it's one of the best things I've ever had. If it ever comes your way, get it!!! I'm sure anyone will agree. Dialup blows.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    I've been filddling about with USB webcams and iChat, one way video works fine after installing iChatUSBCam on both computers, one being a PowerBook 12" the other iMac DV+ 450.

Video over Airport works OK, sound goes from one to the other, but is not so good the other way. Audio only works OK 2 way although the mic on the iMac isn't very loud.

I like the theory of it but the whole thing is very closed. I don't have broadband at home, but will at Uni, will it be possible to send pictures from a broadband connection to a computer with dialup - i'm not sure it will. If not then I might use yahoo messenger for this. Do fire and proteus have decent provisions for this kind of thing? Otherwise i'm running 3 IM's for 3 different things: most of my mates have M$N, i use iChat over my LAN and yahoo is for webcam, as more people have that than iChat or AIM (in my case anyway). Why can't they merge the services, isn't the internet about freedom??

Regarding iChat's future, i think iChat AV might be Panther only after the beta expires, the beta runs quite well, there is a bit of oddness when trying to rendezvous chat when internet sharing is on, and does sometimes quit when the USB camera is taken out (but to be fair iChat doesn't really support USB cams).