how to get back to ext hd after eject

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
after ejecting the hd,

is there a way to get back to it without turning it off and back on?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    i mean to mount it again
  • Reply 2 of 12
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Have you tried going to Disk Utility and seeing if it's listed there? If so, just mount it from there.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    no, its not there,

is there any other way?

just out of curiosity
  • Reply 4 of 12
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by firehc

no, its not there,

is there any other way?

just out of curiosity

Have you tried refreshing the devices and volumes page of the Apple System Profiler? Maybe that'll force it to show up on your bus.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    you could remove the cable and then reconnect it... you wont have to power off the device but you will still have to do something ITRW
  • Reply 6 of 12
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    If you aren't averse to messing with the Terminal, I bet you could do something with the mount command.

I'm not at my OS X box right now, but I'll try playing with this once I am there. I would imagine that your HD might still be listed under /Volumes/hd_name, but it might vanish from there once you unmount it... if it is still listed, I would imagine just a simple 'mount /Volumes/hd_name' would work.

I'll try it later on this afternoon.

By the way, what the heck does ITRW mean, Paul?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    in the real world

it was in the movie "the net" you know with that crazy ? <insert symbol for 'pi' here> thing in the bottom right corner...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

I'm not at my OS X box right now, but I'll try playing with this once I am there. I would imagine that your HD might still be listed under /Volumes/hd_name, but it might vanish from there once you unmount it... if it is still listed, I would imagine just a simple 'mount /Volumes/hd_name' would work.

/Volume/name is just a folder, when a disk is connected, a folder is created and the device is then mounted, which means that its filesystem is mapped into that folder. When you eject a disk, the volume is unmounted and then the folder in /Volume deleted. So, the folder will probably not be there anymore, however, you can just create one yourself.

But you then still have to mount the drive (and I have absolutely no idea about external drives in OS X, it would be /dev/sdaX in linux). But you can try: find out which device it is in /dev (type "mount" when it is attached and visible in the finder, you should see something next to the /Volume/name string), then eject the drive and type "sudo mount /dev/the_thing_from_above /Volumes/afolder_that_you_have_created_before", might work. This only works if the firewire driver isn't unloaded when the disk is ejected, I think it isn't, though (as for example the samba kext isn't unloaded either when you disconnect and causes all sorts of lock ups and kernel panics later).

I'm sitting on a beige g3 with OS9 and only remote access to my G4 with no external drives attached. I only had moderate success as the machine is not responding anymore, possibly a kernel panic (file system stuff is really poorly implemented, was fiddling around wirh the mount_ftp command, so it's not directly related to your problem, still it is annoying. Also: Apple should really clean up their man pages, most of them are outdated or don't exist at all).
  • Reply 9 of 12
    hmm....thanks to all your reply
  • Reply 10 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    "automount" from the Terminal would work too, if you just want to mount whatever powered-on drives you have.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    u mean just type automount in the terminal??
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Is this your internal HD? you might get it back by relaunching the Finder, I haven't tried it yet, but worth a shot.