MS Access for the Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone know the reason why there is no Mac version of MS Access?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Because it sucks and no one would but it instead of File Maker. There's also MySQL and Oracle even ported their database. If you need it try Virtual PC it should be fast enough.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I believe its because Access functionality is now included in the latest version of Entourage. If you have MS Office: X for Mac, just get the latest updater (10.1.4). Read the dl page carefully tho....you need to have Office 10.1.2 installed first, and the Access server you want to connect to must be running a above a certain version (too lazy to check right now ).

Edit: Oops. I was thinking Exchange. Ignore me, my brain is back-firing. Carry on.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    My dad is a database designer, and he's worked with FileMaker since version 2. Now he's awaiting version 7, which he says will be a MAJOR upgrade that will get FileMaker Pro outside of the amateur realm. A big problem with FileMaker is that people view it as a toy, because it's made to be easy. But it's also very powerful.

Anyway, FileMaker is completely cross-platform and he has to work with both Macs and PCs all the time. He's used Access... he hates it. In fact, he says he doesn't know anyone who likes it, the only reason anyone uses it is that it's free with MS Office which almost everyone buys.

I say, keep MS Crapcess AWAY from the Mac! I don't want that buggy piece of crap taking business away from FileMaker Pro!