Ads

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Have they been slowly appearing in more places around here? Or is that just me?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The ones at the top seem to be getting bigger, at least some of them. And I've noticed ones at the bottom of some threads too now. Of course there's that popup that appears when you go to the site, but that only appears once and only if you're using a browser that can't block popups (like IE )
  • Reply 2 of 18
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yeah it seems like they are playing around with the standard size for ads so OW doesn't block them automatically anymore... now I have to find what server(S) they are coming from and stop it at the source... I wish we could just right click and hit "block this ad"

and yes I know about pith helmet... but OW should have that built in... I shouldn't have to resort to a hack in safari that has historically screwed other things up...
  • Reply 3 of 18
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    If you install PithHelmet in Safari, you can do that. It isn't foolproof though.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    You can in Safari with PithHelmet

[Edit: I hate you CubeDude... ]
  • Reply 5 of 18
    adpowersadpowers Posts: 188member
    or Mozilla
  • Reply 6 of 18
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I'm still using a broken version of Netscape 4.79. *Dodges rotten fruit* Somehow, the ads here never show up on my laptop, no matter what size or where they come from.

• Reply 7 of 18
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    Quitcher whining about ads. Banish them for good.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Hey guys,

Tell us how much revenue the banner ads make for this site per month and then put up a PayPal "Donate" button instead.....
  • Reply 9 of 18
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Hey guys,

Tell us how much revenue the banner ads make for this site per month and then put up a PayPal "Donate" button instead.....

I like the windows 98 style "You have been chosen for the hourly prize" ad... I mean come on... who will fall for that... does anyone that comes here even have windows 98
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Seems a little ironic that as I'm reading this thread, there's an ad down at the bottom for a pop-up blocker. Go figure
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Actually, that's not the first time an ad at the bottom of the page has matched the topic. I think it's intentional.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    zoranszorans Posts: 187member
    Quote:

I like the windows 98 style "You have been chosen for the hourly prize" ad... I mean come on... who will fall for that... does anyone that comes here even have windows 98

<puts up hand meekly>
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I'm still using a broken version of Netscape 4.79. *Dodges rotten fruit* Somehow, the ads here never show up on my laptop, no matter what size or where they come from.

I used to like 4.7, in fact a thought it was the best ever, that was untill i tried it again and thought "Oh My God!!!!" and then deleted it.

By the way your little statement is absolutley true and i havent stopped laughing about it yet. I dismantled my pc that i used solely to play CS last week!!! no, matter what server you play on your always cheating lol!!
  • Reply 14 of 18
    I use free software called privoxy to block all ads. Imagine this site, theregister.co.uk, nytimes.com all without any ads... that's what I see every day. In fact, it's been so long I forgot AI even had ads...
  • Reply 15 of 18
    I don't block ads since they support sites.

I need ads on my site to pay the bills. and other sites as well. if you block the ads sites will be either forced to shutdown or force you to pay a subscription fee to access the site.

The only blocker I user is popup/under since I don't believe in those types of ads and refuse to use them on my site.

Ironically I have how to articles on blocking ads on my website.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I don't block banner ads as I don't really care about them, especially the Google text ads.

I do block pop-ups because they are the spawn of the devil, however. Whenever I (occasionally) log on to AppleInsider from Internet Explorer I notice it has pop-ups. Which is kinda stupid as 90% of people block pop-ups now anyway.

Barto
  • Reply 17 of 18
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I hope we don't have anybody here that is susceptible to seizures.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Heh, I would be able to see that ad, except I altered my Hosts file

It was easy once I figured out how to get mljnr's huge list in TXT format rather than HTML format. The HTML didn't have any line breaks, so I started adding them myself until I realized I could instead download the file and change the extension to TXT. It was pretty easy, and I know enough about how it works now that I can add servers of my own if I want.

As far as the morality of blocking banner ads since they support the site... here's how I look at it. If they want to annoy me with flashing crap, I will block them. If they would rather put simple, non-intrusive ads up, then I will not block them. But I never, ever click on the ads anyway, and I never buy stuff from them either. So nobody is losing any money over me.