Compact Flash prices....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've been pricing compact flash cards so that I can have more space than what the school provides for their cameras. The best prices I've been able to find is a SanDisk 256 card through mwave.com for 50 and some change, and a Viking 256 card through Amazon for aprox 55. Any one know of better deals through a more obscure but reliable source? I also found a 1G microdrive for real cheap but forgot the site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Those are among the best I've seen for CF cards
  • Reply 3 of 13
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    You could always try to find some really obscure dealer, and then go to a brick and mortar store and have them price match it.... A lot of places will do that (I know Staples is one).

Just a thought
  • Reply 4 of 13
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    bauman -That is a really great idea, I almost ordered the 1 gig microdrive last night but decided against the risk of my damaging it during a wedding. So I just decided to go with 4 of the Vikings that RussS listed, but haven't ordered yet. I'll just have to make sure that the place I go to has the same brand I believe. THe other advantage is that is the cards are faulty than it should be no problem to exchange them.

Tonton - $120 for 256, good lord thats whole lotta money, how 'bout I give you a nickel and you can draw me a picture.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Do any companies make Smart Media devices anymore? I haven't seen any lately.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    They do still make smart media, just not in the sizes I want, big.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Size matters. Plus, the xD cards are faster and have higher capacity.

xD cards are closest in functionality to SmartMedia. Cameras and storage devices that use them have to be designed to support each individual capacity. It sucks. My old Olympus C-2500L can't use anything larger than 64 MB SmartMedia cards. That's one of the main reasons I switched to CompactFlash at the time. In addition, at this point, xD cards are not faster than the faster CompactFlash cards or the Sony MemoryStick, MemoryStick Duo and MemoryStick Duo Pro cards.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

xD cards are actually closer in similarity to sD cards. xD is just the next gen of sD, just in a smaller form factor.

Bzzt. http://www.dpreview.com/news/0207/02073001olympusxd.asp

Olympus and Fujifilm jointly developed the xD format in conjunction with Toshiba, which also manufactured pretty much all SmartMedia (SSFDC) memory.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Even best-selling SanDisk CF cards have a sustained read rate limited to 2.8MB/sec.

Considering SanDisk was almost bankrupt a few years ago...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0105/01...iba512mbcf.asp

Over 2 years ago, Toshiba already had CF cards that topped 5.4 MB/s read and 3.2 MB/s write.

Lexar's CF cards have sustained write speeds of 6 MB/s and read speeds even higher than that. Transcend's CF cards are allegedly even faster.