Pedophile Bishop Murdered

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I say good riddance.

Maybe that makes me a cold heartless SOB, I don't care. The bastard had it coming. I wouldn't be surprised if the killer was actually contracted by someone on the outside.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Or maybe the bishop tried to rape his cellmate but forgot that it wasn't an 8 year old boy.

By the way, what are dead siamese twin babies good for?

THREESOMES!
  • Reply 2 of 22
    It was bound to happen sooner or later. It was probably the result of the prison guards had gotten tired of making sure this guy didn't get shived.

So they turn their backs for a minute and....whoops! The pee-pee touching priest is dead.

Paul Bernardo would receive the same fate if he were ever released in to the prisons general population.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    kirklandkirkland Posts: 594member
    I don't feel much remorse for the loss of the man, but I do have a minor nitpick: He was a priest, not a bishop.

Kirkj
  • Reply 4 of 22
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    One thing that surprises me is that the Catholic Church hasn't schismed over the pedophile clergy issue, it is fVcking huge. Hell the Anglican church is ready to schism over a good bishop cuz he's gay. C'mon people get your priorities together.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    While I have no great sympathy for this priest, as a general matter I'm really disgusted that this kind of thing can happen in our prisons -- that our prisons are places where inmates are allowed to run wild like this.

I think a big part of the blame for prison conditions is owed to the sniggering wink-and-look-the-other-way attitude so many people have about punishment. "Ha ha... wait until Bubba makes you his girlfriend!". A lot of people are quite gleefully happy to hope that all sorts of nasty things will befall our prisoners besides the "mere" deprivation of freedom. Little concern is given to the actual degree of justice achieved by letting the prisoners "punish" each other, a system by which the most vicious criminal are the most rewarded and the least punished.

If you want to penalty for pedophilia to be the death penalty, have the guts to change the laws and make that the sentence. If you think a man doing time for stealing cars should rape or be raped, make forced anal sex part of the penalty the judge hands down -- and work on a Constitutional amendment to deal with that pesky "cruel and unusual" punishment thing while you're at it.

In the meantime, it would be nice if someone had the political will to clean up this mess, and not have the mindless vindictive masses brand such reformers "soft on crime". While no system is going to be perfect, it shouldn't be that hard to ensure that prisoners are basically safe from abuse and violence from other prisoners.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

originally posted by shetline

it shouldn't be that hard to ensure that prisoners are basically safe from abuse and violence from other prisoners.

While I agree with most of what you are saying, I do have to say how can we protect criminals when we concentrate the most vicious of our kind together and we can't even protect ourselves from people of a non-violent mindset.

When you lump a bunch of violent offenders, many having mental instabilities that are never treated properly, then the level of viciousness grows exponentially.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I completely agree with you, shetline.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Shetline is right, basically. The problem is, the people who are saying "cry me a river" are forgetting one basic thing: he would've suffered more if left in solitary confinement for the next 20 years. And if suffering isn't what you aim for in doling out harsh prison sentences, what are you aiming for?

No one here actually believes our prisons will ever amount to a hill of beans when it comes to rehabilitating criminals, do they? They're not structured to and probably never will be on a large scale.

Prisons are where hardened criminals go to die. And generally, in their hearts most people on the outside don't care about this as long as no one mentions it during the nightly news. More important that we don't ruin anyone's dinner.

That's why you never see any outrage over felons who are shanked or raped in prison. People generally don't care until you hear about the "we found out he was innocent, but it's too late now because he's dead" stories.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

While I agree with most of what you are saying, I do have to say how can we protect criminals when we concentrate the most vicious of our kind together and we can't even protect ourselves from people of a non-violent mindset.

When you lump a bunch of violent offenders, many having mental instabilities that are never treated properly, then the level of viciousness grows exponentially.

The answer is right there in your response. Don't "lump" all of these people together.

That doesn't mean we can't have large prisons with hundreds or even thousands of inmates. But I can think of nothing more stupid than the way we allow prisoners to mix with each other in large ill-supervised groups.

Somewhere along the line, some idiot decided that it would be cruel to deprive inmates of a "social life" -- as if the society of violence, bigotry, and intimidation that prisoners create for themselves isn't far crueler to most prisoners than having a less eventful social calendar.

After deprivation of freedom itself, the greatest punishment of prison should be boredom. Prisoners should have a lot of time to think about how they ended up in prison and how much they don't want to return, rather than spending their time trying to learn to fit into a completely dysfunctional criminal society.

I think prisoners should spend most of their time in their cells alone, or in very small supervised groups. No big prison yards. No enormous cafeterias. Allow the prisoners enough exercise for good health, but not things like heavy-duty pumping iron by which they can turn themselves into bigger physical threats. Allow few, if any, opportunities for any physical threats to be carried out. Deny the level of interaction needed to form prison gangs.

I'm not recommending shutting everyone into dark cells alone and feeding them though a slot in the door. There are certainly plenty of ways prisoners can be given enough social interaction and personal recreation so that they don't go completely insane. But I think prisoners should be learning positive ways to interact that involve little or no physical contact, bettering themselves, trying to perform useful work -- and they should be just short of intolerably bored.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    I dig what your saying, I agree with it even, but many on the left would think your some of your ideas as being medevial, and many on the right would think the other ideas as being too luxurious.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    While I have no qualms whatsoever about this guy being killed, I'm genuinely suprised it took this long. Most pedophiles and/or sex offenders are treated as outcasts in the prison clique, and are generally shunned until the time their 'retribution' is at hand. Child rapists usually get it first, then pedophiles ('touchers'), and 'plain old' rapists will generally get theirs within the first 3 months.

As much 'freedom' as the prison society has, they do have their own set of codes and morals. Child molesters are the worst of the worst in today's system, and the whole concept of 'an eye for an eye' is very literal. You rape...you'll be raped. You rape a child...you will go through a hell never imagined. As much as these men have done foul and horrible things, they have a code...and a child rapist will get his own treatment 20 times over.

This guy was lucky. He was strangled. Pehaps the fear of Godly retribution kept his sphincter intact for this long. Who knows.

Personally, I'm pissed. Death is easy. I'd much rather see this sick f*ck rot in Shetline's jail. Bored silly and ample time to think about his Sins.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

originally posted by 709

While I have no qualms whatsoever about this guy being killed, I'm genuinely suprised it took this long. Most pedophiles and/or sex offenders are treated as outcasts in the prison clique, and are generally shunned until the time their 'retribution' is at hand. Child rapists usually get it first, then pedophiles ('touchers'), and 'plain old' rapists will generally get theirs within the first 3 months.

True, I'm thinking the reason this guy didn't get killed earlier was that the inmates were taking their time in his torture. The guards probably turned a blind eye on the shit he was put through, he may have even receive some of his own treatment. Personally, I'd like a much harsher end for the bastard than what he got or what shetline proposes for a prison system. I feel nothing but loathing and vitriol for these beasts.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

As much 'freedom' as the prison society has, they do have their own set of codes and morals.

Prisoners are not acting out any sort of "moral" code. The violent ones are simply looking for victims, and are happy to have an excuse for violence, to have available fodder whom others won't make much, if any, effort to protect.

Don't imagine that much lesser offenders don't get mistreated. Stand up against racism by not joining the gang of your own color and you'll find you have no one to protect you against anyone's abuse.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I agree with shetline. the guards duties do not end at making sure the prisoners don't escape but that they don't hurt each other. Prison is their punishment. Not getting raped and beaten by other prisoners. Who is dispensing justice here: our courts or the prisoners?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Who is dispensing justice here: our courts or the prisoners?

Prisoners, prison guards and some armchair felons in this thread.

Sometimes mistakes put people in prison too. Even on death row. I can only imagine some people here are either too arrogant or too stupid to understand this concept though.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    I mostly agree with shetline. Prison time should be a time to think! The so called "social life" (as it is today, especially in american prisons, I guess, but also other places in varying degrees) amongst prisoners is only making things worse. Much worse.

However, I'm afraid it will cost significantly more to implement a (good) system like shetlines instead of the current.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    here are some more details on the attack and the aftermatch:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Aug24.html

Quote:

The attacker, whom authorities identified as Joseph L. Druce, jammed the electronically operated cell door to prevent guards from opening it. He tied Geoghan's hands behind his back with a sheet and gagged him. He then repeatedly jumped from the bed in the cell onto Geoghan's motionless body and beat the defrocked priest with his fists.

Only one correction officer was on duty in the protective custody unit at the time...

Quote:

"We've cut about $3 billion out of [the state's] budget in the last three years, and that may mean police and corrections aren't as well staffed as they should be," said state Rep. Martin J. Walsh (D), the chairman of the legislature's homeland security and federal affairs committee. Last year, he and another legislator helped block the firing of 51 correction officers statewide.

"It should be of the utmost importance to ensure that not only are prisoners safe, but that guards, janitors and others who work in these places stay out of harm's way," Walsh said.

Brouillette said the incident "should wake some people up about what we've been saying for years. There are not enough correction officers. The prisoners know the schedule well, they know when only one guy is on duty and they can take advantage of it."

economy, that's what it's all about....
  • Reply 18 of 22
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    And an interesting fact about the murderer (Druce) in today's news:

Quote:

As a convicted child abuser, Geoghan was at risk of violence from other prisoners who may hold grudges against those who prey on children.

"In the prison population, men who have killed or abused children are at the bottom of the totem pole," said Jay Feierman, a professor of psychiatry at the University of New Mexico's medical school who once was psychiatric medical director for New Mexico's prisons. "The sociopaths somehow have this hierarchy about who is beneath them, and child molesters are at great risk."

Druce was serving a life sentence for strangling a 51-year-old man who had offered him a ride in his car in 1988 in Beverly, Mass. Druce said he killed him after the man made sexual advances.

In prison, he became a self-proclaimed neo-Nazi. Druce's father said his son hated gay men and lesbians and as a child had been sexually abused by men.

• Reply 19 of 22
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I don't care particulary for the man, but i think Shetline is right : punishing people is the task of the justice, not the job of prisonners.

The guy who killed the priest, may be the guy who will killed your grand-mother for 200 bucks, killed in jail a bad person won't make you a good person.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Another article on the murder.

Even with a conviction though the worst that can be done is removal of some priveleges.