3rd party external keyboard question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

I just bought a Dell USB keyboard for use on my powerbook, now I have some questions:

1. The function keys don't adjust volume like they do with the powerbook keyboard. I'm operating the powerbook with the display closed. Any way for this to happen with my new keyboard?

2. The alt key and the command key have switched places. (On the Dell keyboard the windows logo key is the command key.) There's no way to get it to switch back is there? I got so used to the command key being right next to the space bar...

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    you can try ucontrol http://gnufoo.org/ucontrol/ it can remap some of the keys... but im not sure if it can swap them (and im not sure it will work on an external keyboard... but who knows)

if you have any issues with the software write the developer, he is good about feedback, but sometimes it can take a bit...

also what function keys are you trying to use to adjust the volume with?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

you can try ucontrol http://gnufoo.org/ucontrol/ it can remap some of the keys... but im not sure if it can swap them (and im not sure it will work on an external keyboard... but who knows)

if you have any issues with the software write the developer, he is good about feedback, but sometimes it can take a bit...

also what function keys are you trying to use to adjust the volume with?

Wow, thanks... that software worked perfectly for swapping command and option.

I was using whatever keys are marked on the Powerbook to adjust the volume (F3, F4, and F5 i think.. correct me if I'm wrong)
  • Reply 3 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    try using F13 and up and see what happens...

how high do the F keys go?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

try using F13 and up and see what happens...

how high do the F keys go?

Only up to F12.