G4 or G5? Help please!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello folks

I really hope you can help out. I've got myself in a real buying indecision nightmare. I can't make up my mind whether to go for a single processor 1.25 G4, a dual 1.25 G4, or the 1.6 G5. I can't afford the higher G5 models and even then i can only get the 1.6 by going combodrive. We'll be working mostly with illustrator and photoshop and some digital video and web design. You see, i guess i just don't understand the processor element - i know to max up ram and i know why - but with money tight, i wonder if a single 1.25 will do? i really hope you folks can come back on this one with advice. i won't be able to buy another machine for 3 years - that's the budget!

best wishes

McL

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    honestly dude get the g5, it'll be worth more in the long run. and sides they are shipping now supposedly. On the other hand I'm using a single 1.25 on the interim at work until my dual g5 we ordered comes in, which will be a day after forever it feels like. But the single I'm using is fairly fast, I do photoshop and illustrator all day, but with a g5 you have a lot more help with video editing I bet, and thats something I do at least 5 hours a day - Final Cut Pro baby. And let me tell you FCP4 is a resource hog.

so get the g5 you'll smile and order a coke once you have.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    my personal rule of thumb ....

ALWAYS buy the newest computer you can scrape up the CASH for... It will last sooooo musch longer.

Will a G4 still be a useable high-end machine 2-3 years from now ? ... probably not.... but the G5 1.6 (while it will be dated) will still be fairly useable in 2-3 years.

personally, I'm gonna go for the 1.8 .... who knows where software is going to go ... in the near future, that extra ram capacity and PCI-X may be worth the extra money over the 1.6.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    G5. The higher bus speed will really help you out in the long run (since you are doing data intensive work), and the machines are just plain all around better.