Should the UN relocate to Europe ?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Why should the UN be located in the USA.?

Is it time perhaps to move the UN to Europe?

Having it in Europe is more likely to provide the UN with a greater appearance of "Political Neutrality".

I say this because I wonder what effect( if any )the location of the UN in the USA is "misread" by terrorists who see the UN as nothing more than a rubber stamp of the USA.

Locating it Europe would show a greater appearance of political neutrality as well as situating it closer to many of the world's more persistant hot-spots.

With many in the Middle East seeking greater Un & European involvement in the "road to peace", this would make it a resaonable proposition..

Besides which, I am sure there are plenty of Americans who are tired of footing the bill for various Un extraveganza's etc..

Perhaps the French might like to have it...

Or Belgium might add it to its long list of international courts...

Just a thought to chew on..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Has the UN been responsible for the creation of any countries?

Move the UN to Israel.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Why are the alternatives only Europe and America?

Move it to Cape Town. Good infrastructure, cosmopolitan, in need of the regeneration. Or move it to Rio de Janeiro, ditto.

Yes indeed.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Why not asia?

The UN is as useless at Europe theses days so it's a good fit.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Why are the alternatives only Europe and America?

Move it to Cape Town. .

I second that.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    See? Not even the Europeans want to touch the UN with a 10 foot pole. Give it to the Aussies.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

See? Not even the Europeans want to touch the UN with a 10 foot pole.

That's funny & ironic given how many European based Ai'ers were banging on their drum about respecting the UN path to Iraq.. Inspectors, WOMD.etc etc....

What's changed all of a sudden ?

As for the Aussies having it..hell no...we've got enough trouble of our own to want any more...

What about the freedom loving French...

No cost involved at all.. Just re-name Euro-Disney something like " UN Liberte...and viola...
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

We'd have it in Wales - have to rename it of course. Something like...I dunno....'Caliphate' maybe ?

And of course it would need Draconian sweeping powers....

Oh oh..Sedge is warming up his Totalatarina ballet tutu & gym slip...:

• Reply 8 of 21
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    My first thought was, as Hassan's, Africa. Though a little more to the north. Somewhere in the true heart of darkness. They would not only revitalize some region, but they'd also have a good excuse (scorching water-like heat) for sitting on their big fat lazy asses all day jabbering away with a drunken lisp, doing nothing of importance.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

My first thought was, as Hassan's, Africa. Though a little more to the north. Somewhere in the true heart of darkness. They would not only revitalize some region, but they'd also have a good excuse (scorching water-like heat) for sitting on their big fat lazy asses all day jabbering away with a drunken lisp, doing nothing of importance.

Der Kopf sailing close to the wind as ever......

....I believe Joseph Conrads' "Heart of Darkness"

was set somewhere in the upper reaches of the then " Belgium Congo "

• Reply 10 of 21
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The UN should be on the South Pole, as neutral location as possible. I would say the North Pole, but then you get into the whole Santa Claus, Christmas, religious bias thing, etc. Or maybe the moon.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

The UN should be on the South Pole, as neutral location as possible. I would say the North Pole, but then you get into the whole Santa Claus, Christmas, religious bias thing, etc. Or maybe the moon.

My grandma said the the UN could come over to her place for a nice cup of tea & a digestive biscuit.

The general AGM might be a bit of a tight squeeze.. they'd all have to take truns sitting on each others' laps.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I will say , mars. Mars do not belong to any countrie, it's a perfect neutral aera. You can make a virtual assembly, via a martian module. Each communication require 40 minutes of travel, it will leave time for people to calm down before answering.

Oh wait, Mars is the god of war : bad move ...
  • Reply 13 of 21
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Umm, am I missing something? Or is Geneva no longer in Europe?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Better still, put it somewhere where it will be directly in the firing line of everyone........Jerusalem...
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Why should the UN be located in the USA.?

Is it time perhaps to move the UN to Europe?

Worked great for the League of Nations after World War One.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Iceland. Somewhere cold ass will help minimize the appeal of being there and thus the size of the beaurocracy. Plus they can dine on whale blubber nightly.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Yeah, lets just dump the whole idea of the UN altogeter. Let the Bushes run the whole thing. Face it, who else is capable of running the world in a Peacefull matter but the US? Surly not those back stabbing Germans who said no to a war based on US self interest, traders! God forbid if it were those maynaise dipping cowards who were against saving people from the evil doers, French bastards. Geesh, this is an insightfull thread, full of Texan like pre-ejaculation agression. Yeeee Haaaa!
  • Reply 18 of 21
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Of course the real reason France and Germany said no to the war was because of the profitable business interest they had with one of the worlds worst living thugs. Rah rah European elite. You are so superior.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Of course the real reason France and Germany said no to the war was because of the profitable business interest they had with one of the worlds worst living thugs. Rah rah European elite. You are so superior.

Of course the real reason the US said yes to the war was because of the profitable business interest they had in ousting one of the worlds worst living thugs. Rah rah Oil Magnate elite. You are so superior.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    At the beginning this thread was funny and light hearted, now he degenerate in a Europe Vs USA as always : it's time to close it.