Macromedia MX 2004

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
all i can say is wow. this is quite possibly the most significant upgrade to the their suite of web products yet. hell, i'd buy the whole thing just for flash alone. CCS now supported in dynamic text. pinch me i must be dreaming. i got a cyber woody over that one. check it out for yourself.

macromedia mx 2004

ps. can one of you nice mod/admin persons please edit the typo in the title? [Done. -Amorph]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    thanks amorph.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

thanks amorph.

now all new Macro software require activation. It sounds a lot more flexible than Quark XPress but I will have to wait and see
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

now all new Macro software require activation. It sounds a lot more flexible than Quark XPress but I will have to wait and see

?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:

?

http://www.macromedia.com/software/activation/
  • Reply 5 of 25
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i dunno, maybe i am a pessimist, but flash seems to be the only reason to get this upgrade. all i know is dreamweaver better be WAY FASTER than it is now... otherwise, i can still do everything i need to via dreamweaver mx.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:

doesn't seem to bad from the way they describe it. with piracy as rampant as it is, who can blame them for moving in this direction?
  • Reply 7 of 25
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    I cant wait until it comes out... education version will be $199 by the way... going to school can be cool sometimes
  • Reply 8 of 25
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

I cant wait until it comes out... education version will be $199 by the way... going to school can be cool sometimes

When is the edu version coming out? Can anyone remember how long it was between studio MX 1.0 and the edu release? Was it instant?
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:

doesn't seem to bad from the way they describe it. with piracy as rampant as it is, who can blame them for moving in this direction?

As I said before this does sound a lot more flexible than QuarkXpress' super strict activation.

If Macro does go the same way as Quark I will then be mad
  • Reply 10 of 25
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    Flash MX 2004 looks great.

They didn't improve the timeline, however.

BOOOO!!!!
  • Reply 11 of 25
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Looks like they're going to do the same stupid thing they did with the original Studio MX...package it with an un-updated Freehand. Oh well.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i dunno, maybe i am a pessimist, but flash seems to be the only reason to get this upgrade. all i know is dreamweaver better be WAY FASTER than it is now... otherwise, i can still do everything i need to via dreamweaver mx.

I agree,

I also hope they didn't just add a ton of features with out ironing out the bugs that are giving me a bald spot.

This stuff has so much potential and I use it everyday. Please let it be faster... especially Fireworks.

flick.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Here's my hope, that Dreamweaver allows you to modify file permissions on the server. This is the only feature I miss from goLive. Right now I have to use fetch to change permissions.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    hi

I have read your fascination about MX 2004 and I cant agree more!

But can you help me with a problem? I recently had to reinstall my system OSX 10.3 and upgrade it to 10.3.2

But suddently my MX 2004 Studio is no longer starting up. I reinstalled the software, then again after removed macromedia application support folder.

But it is not starting up! Do you know what happened? Or who can help me? Thank you so much....

Tino
  • Reply 15 of 25
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    It's like this...flash seems great and speedy...DreamWeaver may have gotten slower and I dislike the interface much more (maybe i'm just not as used to it hopefully \)

I haven't tried Fireworks I'll test it out later and get back to you.

Edit: After just dick'n around in Fireworks for a min or two it seems fast too...dreamweaver still sucks though.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    hi

it is not just dreamweaver - the whole mx studio 2004 is not starting up! neither dreamweaver nor flash nor fireworks. Even after reinstalling....where should i search for the solution?

thank you for your help

Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

It's like this...flash seems great and speedy...DreamWeaver may have gotten slower and I dislike the interface much more (maybe i'm just not as used to it hopefully \)

I haven't tried Fireworks I'll test it out later and get back to you.

Edit: After just dick'n around in Fireworks for a min or two it seems fast too...dreamweaver still sucks though.

• Reply 17 of 25
    What happens when you say it isn't even starting? There is a neat trick to get apps to work if they start to appear and then don't without giving an error.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    when i click on the program icon, it start to startup but then it just stop running and indicates the status of not running - without an error. the icon is not jumping anymore and the little black arrow dissappears...

Quote:

What happens when you say it isn't even starting? There is a neat trick to get apps to work if they start to appear and then don't without giving an error.

• Reply 19 of 25
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Thanks for sharing.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Thanks for sharing.

Haha, well I wanted to know if that was the problem first before I did all this typing that it required to explain how

<all that typing I just talked about>

If you have toast, not sure if it works with anything else, but make a data cd of the application. You don't actually have to burn it, you just need make a disc image from toast. Then mount the disc image and use the application you get from the disc image, and it should work.

</all that typing I just talked about>

I don't know if this will work for you as I've only used it with programs that don't depend on other files like I assume MX stuff does. Perhaps you want to try a disc image of the whole folder just to be safe? I know this has worked on ever program that has done the pseudo-start up. It used to drive me crazy until I found out about this trick, and it has been a godsend. If this works for you as well as it worked for me, it fixes the major problem with OS X that I have of that fake start up. And to that I say KNOW MORE THEN BRAD DOES!

Now if I just knew WHY it worked \