Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 521 of 1176
    I wouldn't call the Panther Finder icon "new". It's just a glossy version of the original/classic Mac OS logo. But I do like the Jaguar icon better; it looks more refined. The Panther Finder icon (as well as the classic Mac OS logo) has a really big nose, and weird eyes.

What Apple should do is make the current Jaguar Finder icon glossy to bring it up to date with the rest of the UI.
  • Reply 522 of 1176
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    I prefer the Panther one more, only because it's newer. It's not that bad, and I could live with it.
  • Reply 523 of 1176
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I far prefer the Panther one. But I like gloss, particularly gloss themes.

That old flat gradient was too photoshoppy.

The nose is getting bigger, but it's because of the gentle curve of the button (hence the horizon arc in the gloss).

Hey, I won't be happy until someone hacks iSight so it maps my real environment and live profile onto all the gloss onscreen, so i get true reflections in all my UI.

Mostly kidding....

Would be neat to at least do an alpha overlay from the iSight video as a screensaver or something.

Regarding the Mac OS Logo...

I welcome the return of the all-black lines as opposed to the lighter blue lines for the left half.

I might be stating the obvious but I've met hundreds of people that didn't get this: The dark blue left half is the Mac's screen, the light blue is the user's face. Together they symbolize the user interface and user experience. (Although the user is going to go blind that close to the screen and ought to find a proper human partner to kiss).

Anyway the symbol is too subtle for those that merely glance at it - the picassoesque treatment really demands the viewer to be able to see the gestalt underneath, otherwise it's one whole smiley face with 2 inexplicably different colored sides.

So at some point for Mac OS X Beta I think, they decided to help hammer home the two facedness and make the colors more distinct.

But I'd rather all black lines, it's more kanji-like that way. If people don't get it, so be it.
  • Reply 524 of 1176
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

This:

is less photo realistic than this?

Kinda weird actually. The icon is actually radically different. The color of the dark blue side's eye and lip are black instead of a shade of blue. Interesting.
  • Reply 525 of 1176
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Note also the extra curve to the mouth, and the longer eyes.

More like a colon and right parenthesis, wouldn't you say?
  • Reply 526 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

Thats been the big story for the past 2 days, if you try to add the mouse or keyboard you get an error that mentions an "Apple Wireless Mouse". It pretty much let the cat out of the bag.

That is *GREAT* news!!

I've been wanting a nice Apple bluetooth mouse for ages now... and a keyboard would be sweet too
  • Reply 527 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Kinda weird actually. The icon is actually radically different. The color of the dark blue side's eye and lip are black instead of a shade of blue. Interesting.

Maybe because it is so new, but I really don't warm to the new finder icon. It looks too exaggerated... even distorted to me. The line of the original is much more pleasing to my eye.

The "photorealism" isn't the problem to me, it is how they have actually altered the lines of the icon. If they kept the original line of the icon but just touched it up to make it "photorealistic" I don't think it would bother me.
  • Reply 528 of 1176
    panicxpanicx Posts: 37member
    As somebody pointed out yet, the new Finder icon is not new,

but actually the original design of the Finder Icon in the (now)

classic Mac OS.

I think it kinda cool that they went retro on this.
  • Reply 529 of 1176
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Is it possible to chage the system fonts in 10.3 7B44 or do we still require the use of Silk (a Haxie utility). Would be great if it could be done without Silk.
  • Reply 530 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

Maybe because it is so new, but I really don't warm to the new finder icon. It looks too exaggerated... even distorted to me. The line of the original is much more pleasing to my eye.

The "photorealism" isn't the problem to me, it is how they have actually altered the lines of the icon. If they kept the original line of the icon but just touched it up to make it "photorealistic" I don't think it would bother me.

I think the change is likely due to branding/printing issues more than anything. The new icon looks much more amenable to halftones/grayscales with the solid black lines, and therefore, easier to print and maintain the integrity of the icon, even if the colors might be off.

And it will probably scale better on different resolutions as well.
  • Reply 531 of 1176
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by panicX

As somebody pointed out yet, the new Finder icon is not new,

but actually the original design of the Finder Icon in the (now)

classic Mac OS.

I think it kinda cool that they went retro on this.

What are you talking about? If you look in the "About This Macintosh" window of Mac OS 9.x or earlier, you'll notice that the lip and eye on the dark blue portion are not black. The icon isn't retro or all new...it's just different.

I think what bothers me most is how the curve of the face is centered now instead of the eyes, which have shifted to our left. The right eye is 3 pixels farther away from the box's edge that the left eye.
  • Reply 532 of 1176
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by inkhead

I posted this over at macnn.com earlier:

Labels in 10.3 build 44

okay, now THAT is an effective way to label stuff. used to be you had to have the label column showing to see what label was applied in list view, if your icons were 16x16 (which, of course, defeated a major POINT to using labels).

however, it is going to take me a while to get used to that condensed typeface. hmmm... and how do you have two folders named the exact same (the two Counting Crows folders towards the bottom)?

BTW, who the hell is Clearwater Creedence Revivial?
  • Reply 533 of 1176
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Me no likey Finder icon, old or new. Me want real icon for Finder. That, or rename Finder, "Mr. Finder." Save happy face for startup screen.
  • Reply 534 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Me no likey Finder icon, old or new. Me want real icon for Finder. That, or rename Finder, "Mr. Finder." Save happy face for startup screen.

What do you mean by "real icon"? As far as I'm concerned, the Finder icon is real and we've been seeing it for a long time.
  • Reply 535 of 1176
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwill

What do you mean by "real icon"? As far as I'm concerned, the Finder icon is real and we've been seeing it for a long time.

not to speak on behalf of señor rotto, but i believe he means that a smiley face does not have anything to do with finding files or directory navigation. a totally marketing-driven icon design and use.

to old mac users, the face is synonymous to the finder, but it means absolutely nothing to someone not familiar to the platform. that whole "intuitive" thing...
  • Reply 536 of 1176
    The Finder icon bear no meaning for most newcomers to the Mac. Hence that face should be replaced by some folder/file/whatever symbol showing this is the where you find what's inside your computer...
  • Reply 537 of 1176
    You got a point there
  • Reply 538 of 1176
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by richardb

The Finder icon bear no meaning for most newcomers to the Mac. Hence that face should be replaced by some folder/file/whatever symbol showing this is the where you find what's inside your computer...

Yeah...maybe swap in the Directory Access icon.
  • Reply 539 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

What are you talking about? If you look in the "About This Macintosh" window of Mac OS 9.x or earlier, you'll notice that the lip and eye on the dark blue portion are not black. The icon isn't retro or all new...it's just different.

Jesus Christ, is it really so hard to take someone for his/her word?

IT IS the original icon only now eye/mouth are black and it has depth

original icon (found on http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/R...acGallery.html):

Panther icon:

Take the 2 pics, put on on top of other in Photoshop

play around with transparency and aha...

friggin EXACT same face, oke discussion closed

lets move on already
  • Reply 540 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by richardb

yeh sure, they are changing the whole OS to look like XP anyway,

might as well do away with the Finder icon as well, maybe replace

it with 'Start'?