new pro keyboard @ MWNY - (semi) confirmed

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
the present pro keyboard (the black one which was intro'd two years ago at MWNY with the Cube, DP G4 and Pro mouse) has been EOL'd in the UK.

Inventory is low and revised stock is expected next month with the new machines. I am unable to get a new (dark) pro keyboard.

Source for this was an AppleCentre here in the UK .. perhaps others could make discrete enquiries across the world and see if it's true elsewhere ...

The new variation is meant to be .... 'darker' yet similar. I dunno if that means the crystal enclosure is being retired (due to too may people complaining about being able to see their hair/lunch/dust?). I couldn't get much more out of anyone than that ....

I also wonder what is happening with the recently intro'd white variation which shipped with the LCD iMac and eMac. Perhaps some separation of features ... better sprung keys on the pro keyboard? Or mebbe its the introduction of USB2, needing a revised hub in the keyboard ....

I think this also bodes well for a modified pro mouse ...

at the least it'll reflect the revised styling. however, i'm not trying to start a long multi/uni-button mouse thread here (check <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001806"; target="_blank">this exciting thread</a> for more on those lines). i think this points to an incremental case revision and a revised G4, rather than anything too radical. At most it could point to a more graphite and metallic feel to the new towers.

Anyone else got anything on this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    I certainly hope so ... the current verion is amongst the worst in the industry.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Interesting thread convergence here...

USB 2 would need a new Pro KB. <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001867"; target="_blank">click here</a>

A new Pro KB will need a new matching mouse. <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001806"; target="_blank">click here</a>

A 2 button mouse would need a Powerbook update. <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001842"; target="_blank">click here</a>

A Powerbook update so soon suggest big internal updates.

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001835"; target="_blank">click here</a>

Funny innit!
  • Reply 3 of 64
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I hope this isn't true. I just got the white keyboard a few months ago and I know if Apple comes out with a new keyboard I'll want it.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Ummm, guys, the way I understand it...USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with USB 1.x devices.

So a new keyboard isn't necessary. Plus, unless you are supernaturally gifted, there's no way that you will EVER tax the throughput of USB 1.0 with your typing.

'nuff said.

Or your spelling!

D

[ 06-21-2002: Message edited by: drewprops ]

[ 06-21-2002: Message edited by: drewprops ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 64
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    No, but it would be awfully nice to be able to plug USB 2.0 devices into the keyboard and have them running at full speed, wouldn't it? Hence the suggestion for a USB 2.0 hub in the keyboard.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    stepsonstepson Posts: 95member
    I was thinking, since Apple is always saying "well we're the best because we make the hardware AND the software, rah rah rah!" (or something along those lines), that they should maybe stick some iTunes controls on the keyboard, in addition to the very useful volume control. I like hitting mute before i go to sleep if i'm leaving my cube on, to download a big file lets say. Very useful. And sometimes my iTunes window gets lost in the mess of windows I always have open, so maybe forward/back song and pause would be cool.

What would be REALLY neat is maybe a set of 4 keys that you could program, a la all those logitech and MS 'internet keyboards'. Of course, why limit it to internet, they could just be 'whatever' keys.

Now, for my dream keyboard, I'd want all that, plus a little LCD screen that could be updated with cpu utilization (das blinkenlights!), memory usage, cool stuff like that! Yes, probably overkill, but it would be neat, unique, and very expensive ...
  • Reply 7 of 64
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>I hope this isn't true. I just got the white keyboard a few months ago and I know if Apple comes out with a new keyboard I'll want it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You will probably need one after you wear down your current one from too many posts
  • Reply 8 of 64
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    stepson I like the iTunes keyboard idea, but I can see Apple hating this. Because of the cheapshit way PeeCees implement it on their keyboards no doubt. Plus it's not universal, or at least, some users wouldn't figure out how to program them. Plus you always have the F (Function, remember? ) keys.

They do need new keyboards however.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    First of all, yeah they need to implement more Function keys for applications

TWO: Why would they need a new keyboard? They a needed a new one last time because they realized that people liked the number pad and the page up and down buttons, and no small Function keys

They still type with the letters,

screw it though, whatever they come out with, I will want it, happens every damn time!
  • Reply 10 of 64
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    It's just going to be all white/clear keyboards and mice from now on. ALL the keyboards will soon look like the iMac/eMac variants, as will the mouse. That's all.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    Matsu are you guessing? I hope so!

Mmm BlueTooth keyboards and mice.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    Why does everyone want wireless keyboards?

How far do you sickos need to sit back?

just kidding, you arent sickos

just that guy who keeps on looking at me when I am posting
  • Reply 13 of 64
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Xaqtly:

<strong>No, but it would be awfully nice to be able to plug USB 2.0 devices into the keyboard and have them running at full speed, wouldn't it? Hence the suggestion for a USB 2.0 hub in the keyboard. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Ding ding! If anything is changed, this was my first guess.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    yurin8oryurin8or Posts: 120member
    i've got one of "those" ms internet pro keyboards with plenty of little buttons along the top. i've never touched them, apart from hitting "sleep" on a workmates pc once. having an additional set of buttons (in addition to the multitude of ones I already dont use -- F1-Fx, etc) is not what I want to see on an apple keyboard.

cheers,

Justin
  • Reply 15 of 64
    my PC friend does not like the buttons at the top of his keyboard as much to remove them..."I kept on hitting the computer to sleep and other stuff"

KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid
  • Reply 16 of 64
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I hope not...the white keyboard is horrible looking. My Apple USB keyboard looks better...

What would be cool is the same keyboard with chromed keys...mmmmm.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Those Bronze keyboards were great.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Pro keyboards rock. Although the plastic mega-latch is a bit flimsy.

I guess that the black keyboards don't match the new Power Mac's color or something.

And/or USB 2

Barto
  • Reply 19 of 64
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Hey now, I mentioned that one thing about the USB 1.x compatibility...but I didn't discuss the need for a VIDEO EDITING keyboard from Apple.

Those things are available as an after-market item, but why not as an option from Apple?

hmmmm....

Drew
  • Reply 20 of 64
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatik:

<strong>Those Bronze keyboards were great.</strong><hr></blockquote>

They might have looked great (That's a matter of personal taste, I own a Pismo, but I didn't buy it because of its keyboard but inspite of it). It's one of the worst keyboards I used. The keys are too narrow, the arrow keys are too small, you had to use two hands to page down/up, the enter key on the right side of the keyboard is idiotic - from my other keyboard, I expect a Command key at that position.

(On a side note, I use an IBM Thinkpad at work which has IMO one of the best notebook keyboards)

I would love to see a new keyboard with better keys, also for the desktop. I'm typing this on an old Extended Keyboard II, connected via ADB to my other Mac (a B&W G3). None of the newer keyboards could beat that one, IMHO.

Personally, I'd like to see Apple switch back to keyboards (and mice?) as optional packages for the PRO-Line. Of course, that would mean, they would have to offer several keyboards and mice.

Keyboard and Mouse are - at least at the moment - major elements of the User Experience. Apple strives to make the best GUI, but there's more to it than software... As there are so many different people with different preferences, one size (model) doesn't fit all.

Why should I pay a premium for a keyboard and a mouse that might look nice but do not support the way I'm working?

I'd like Apple to offer a one and a two button mouse (personally I'd like to have even more buttons. It's quite nice to have all modifier keys (Shift, CTRL, ALT, Command) on a button. So you can Command-Click, CTRL-Click etc. while using the other hand for something else (like holding a cup, turn over a page ...))

For keyboards, they could offer (as in the old, beige times) a small, rather cheap entry level keyboard, a Pro keyboard with better keys, an ergonomic keyboard (something like the Apple Adjustable Keyboard "done right")

[ 06-22-2002: Message edited by: GSpotter ]</p>