• Reply 21 of 40
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    shit, college is hard
  • Reply 22 of 40
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

shit, college is hard

Wait till you get out of lower division stuff. Then it gets real fun!
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Hahaha...I feel sorry for all yall who have to go to school.

Your first semester or quarter gonna be hell man!
  • Reply 24 of 40
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

Hahaha...I feel sorry for all yall who have to go to school.

Your first semester or quarter gonna be hell man!

Well, it's quite apparent that you never recieved an education of any sort...'cause after all, working at McDonalds isn't exactly anything you have to go to school for.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    I don't go back untill September 8th.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Never in my life will I work for McDonald's play-boy, besides I wouldnt support them their food's disgusting
  • Reply 27 of 40
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:

orignally posted by applenut

shit, college is hard

Only if you work hard for your degree, if not, then it is easy, fosheezee. But then again you don't learn much, except how to manipulate the system to pass, might explain the behaviour in our corporations and government.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

Never in my life will I work for McDonald's play-boy, besides I wouldnt support them their food's disgusting

There are a couple of ways in which proper punctuation could have been utilized in this sentence. Take notes, class.

Never in my life will I work for McDonald's, play-boy. Besides, I wouldn't support them. Their food's disgusting.

Never in my life will I work for McDonald's, play-boy. Besides, I wouldn't support them, their food's disgusting.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I've heard from a hardcore Matlab user that the x86 version of Matlab is very optimized (win or linux) and thus the others take a hit. Have you notived that?

I'll have to get back to you on that. With my limited experience, using a PC in class and an iBook 800, the performance is comparable or even a bit faster on the Mac. However, in the CAD lab at San Francisco State, I wouldn't bet that the computers are any faster than 1 GHz Pentiums with limited RAM. (I could be wrong, but I can't check right now.)

From what I remember, I have a bit of trouble printing from my iBook or Cube. I guess since Matlab uses X11, I don't get the OS X print services (such as print to PDF). Since most of my graphs go in documents, I usually take a screen shot.

There are some instructions somewhere (Macintouch?) about modifying the default installation by moving the application into the Applications folder and not using the provided OroborosX window manager. I can find those if you are interested. That way you get Aqua windows instead of OroborosX windows.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

There are a couple of ways in which proper punctuation could have been utilized in this sentence...

I was wondering myself who this notorious 'McDonald's play-boy' could be...

I will never again look at the Hamburglar without a sphincter flinch.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

shit, college is hard

It's probably better that they are starting off like that rather than trying to ease you into college studies. Some classes start off as if you were still in high school and make you overconfident.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skipjack

From what I remember, I have a bit of trouble printing from my iBook or Cube. I guess since Matlab uses X11, I don't get the OS X print services (such as print to PDF). Since most of my graphs go in documents, I usually take a screen shot.

Matlab had a bunch of print options and I know pdf was one of them. You have to read the print help to get the full gist of it. My best guess is that with Apple's version of CUPs along with Matlabs like for piping stuff through the command line lpr or lp you'd be able to get it to work somehow? Using CUPs may be too much. Maybe just getting lp or lpr to work with a ps or a pdf would do it?
  • Reply 33 of 40
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skipjack

It's probably better that they are starting off like that rather than trying to ease you into college studies. Some classes start off as if you were still in high school and make you overconfident.

yea, lol, i guess

im sure its just a bit of first day shock and as i get a week or two into it i'll make the adjustments. right now its just reallllly overwhelming and i feel so disorganized and i hate that feeling since im usually an organization freak.

doesn't help that i don't have my textbooks yet...err
  • Reply 34 of 40
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    I only have 1 textbook this semester. But I can't afford that right now 'cuz I had to put new tires on my car, the old ones were about to get me killed in the rain.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    I start my 1st year of Uni on the 22nd of September. Am kind of a bit anxious about it, but I can't wait to leave home. The best bit is my sister started high school (age 14-18 here in the UK) today and I still have a good few weeks of holiday left.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Matlab had a bunch of print options and I know pdf was one of them. You have to read the print help to get the full gist of it.

Thanks for you suggestions. Now that I've comleted my first lab, I've been reminded that the only printing problems I'm having are with graphical output. Text output prints fine and uses the familiar print output window. The graphs are generated in an X11 window, not a MATLAB window, and attempting to print using the X11 window menu generates a .ps file which shows up in the printer job list, but does not produce an output. I'll search MATLAB help again, but meanwhile, screen shots work just fine.

The engineering computer labs are not open yet, so I can't give you the data on the school computers (i.e., so you know what I'm comparing my iBook performance to).
  • Reply 37 of 40
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Anyone else out there that starts school tomorrow? College, high school, whatever?

Kids have been in school for a couple of weeks here.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

yea, lol, i guess

im sure its just a bit of first day shock and as i get a week or two into it i'll make the adjustments. right now its just reallllly overwhelming and i feel so disorganized and i hate that feeling since im usually an organization freak.

doesn't help that i don't have my textbooks yet...err

I obsessively make lists.

Pages to read: over 1000

Pages of Papers to write: over 80

I use iCal to list the due dates of all important papers, tests, projects, meetings, deadlines, etc. Lists help me to visualize my total course load-- so I know that I have "this many" papers due "this month." I have an idea in the back of my mind that I am "okay" or "not okay"-- even though a general sense of panic remains no matter what I do, lol.

It's only 15 weeks-- but it's intense!
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Same... I start September 22nd at Columbia College Chicago. I am moving into my apartment the 20 of Sept, so not much time!

Kind of weird with all my friends starting tomorrow and gone!
  • Reply 40 of 40
    I go back to high school on Wednesday (3rd).