Saddam's Ex Spies to work for USA

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
US ground forces are now actively seeking the aid of ex Iraqi Intelligence officers who worked within Saddam's regime.

More specifically, they are encouraging ex Mukhabarat units to come in from the cold & offer their services to the USA.

They are hoping to utilise their local knowledge & past expertise in dealing with the increasing number of attacks against both the American & British forces stationed in Iraq..

A good move or a desperate stop gap measure ?

http://www.nypost.com/news/worldnews/4048.htm

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Well seeing as the only expertise the mukhabarat have is in torture and wholesale murder I'd hazard a guess that this probably falls into the desperate stop-gap category. But then again in Rummy's lexicon it's probably 'a good move'.

You pays your money....

Like the Pied Piper of Hamlin..Pay the piper or deal with the rats...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

But first make sure it is a piper - not a mutated rodent wearing a threadbare harlequin suit and a silly hat with a half-eaten flute stuck out of it's mouth....

You sure paint an ugly picture of George Dubbuya..

Come t'think of it he sure does look like he has ratty looking eyes..close together n all..
  • Reply 3 of 13
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    It might be smarter than trying to duke it out with these SOBs. But not much smarter. What do you when you are done with them then, reintegrate them into the Iraqi society that you are desperately fighting to make stable? Wouldn't be counter productive in the end? I don't know. But then again Putin is ex-KGB and people seem to think he's doing a bang up job.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

But then again Putin is ex-KGB and people seem to think he's doing a bang up job.

Bush senior is ex-CIA.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/information/bush.html
  • Reply 5 of 13
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    It's not because Putin is ex KGB that he necessary commited torture, or killed someone. Same apply for Bush senior, he runned CIA, but it doesn't necessary means he has dirty hands.

In the contrary most of Saddam's ex spies where butcher. What you will say, if we suggest to employ ex people from gestapo ?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

It's not because Putin is ex KGB that he necessary commited torture, or killed someone. Same apply for Bush senior, he runned CIA, but it doesn't necessary means he has dirty hands.

In the contrary most of Saddam's ex spies where butcher. What you will say, if we suggest to employ ex people from gestapo ?

Didn't the US already do that right after WWII?

Seriously I wouldn't put it past most US admin or European admin to put butchers into power, if it met the admin's interests.

But I thought Putin was known to quite brutal within the KGB? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    [i]Originally posted by LiquidR

It is a little known fact that General Patton so hated the Russians & their presence in Germany, that he begged General Eisenhower to re-arm the German army so as to fight along side the Americans & to push the Russians all the way back to Moscow...

" Tin soldier politicians in Washington have allowed us to kick the hell out of one bastard ( Hitler ) ....(but)....we'll need almighty God's constant help if we're forced to live in the same world with Stalin & his murdering cutthroats.."

Quoted statement at the time by George S Patton.

Eisenhower turned him down, & several weeks later Patton was killed in a car accident in Germany : Dec 1945...

Conspiracy or just plain co-incidence...
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Si, Senor.

Patton was such a charismatic character from that era, larger than life that SOB was, that it is difficult to not believe the rubber bullet conspiracy theory surrounding his death.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Does 1998 count as right after WWII?

http://www.bartcop.com/nazigop.htm
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

Does 1998 count as right after WWII?

http://www.bartcop.com/nazigop.htm

Wow that's pretty strong stuff you dredged up there Foxy.!

But I'd be asking the same of ex KGB etc now working for the USA..

Also, just because someone had nazi sympathies as a youth doesn't mean they'd hold to the same ideas when older..

I for example idolised Che & Castro but then I discovered Paolo Friere & my political horizon changed profoundly...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

I'd be asking the same of ex KGB etc now working for the USA..

Also, just because someone had nazi sympathies as a youth doesn't mean they'd hold to the same ideas when older..

A) So would I

B) Does being an officer in the Waffen SS really get classed under having "nazi sympathies as a youth"?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

A) So would I

B) Does being an officer in the Waffen SS really get classed under having "nazi sympathies as a youth"?

Depends on the individual.

Just like the KGB, there were " career " officers in the such groups.

In the early days, to become a member of the SS youths ( as with the NKVD ) had to meet stringent criterions.

Most were weeded out . But amongst those accepted a high number would have been attracted to the security of a highly paid job that carried political clout and not neccessarily the actual ideology.

I am not condoning it..just pointing out that just like a book, you shouldn't judge it by its cover...