new pro keyboard @ MWNY - (semi) confirmed

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    the g5the g5 Posts: 42member
    i like the current keyboard. one of the few things beside the powerbooks they got right.
  • Reply 42 of 64
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by noleli:

<strong>I want my Power key back!! It is one of the best buttons ever put on a keyboard, and just one other thing to gloat about to your PC friends. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't expect that anytime soon. Because of USB Apple can't put the power key on the keyboards. It's against some USB standard and that's why the Pro Keyboards don't have them.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Don't expect that anytime soon. Because of USB Apple can't put the power key on the keyboards. It's against some USB standard and that's why the Pro Keyboards don't have them.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The previous Apple USB Keyboard had a power key. In fact I remember Steve saying something about it being "theoretically impossible but we did it anyway", during the original iMac introduction.

J :cool:
  • Reply 44 of 64
    mspmsp Posts: 40member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebagakid:

<strong>

TWO: Why would they need a new keyboard</strong><hr></blockquote>

Because the key action sucks almighty ass.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by DanRuleUniverse:

<strong>As for this supposed "iMac design flaw," I find nothing wrong. When the new iMac "sticks out its tongue" ... the tray opens out above the keyboard, not into it. I see no problem with this.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think he means that the "lip" opens and hits the keyboard not the "tongue".

You wouldn't notice ths problem unless you have the keyboard right up against the base of the iMac though.

J :cool:
  • Reply 46 of 64
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I love the current pro keyboards, but I would like to see a power button put back on, AND a little "sleep" button (so you don't always have to do it with the mouse/menu.

Just hit your sleep button on the keyboard and walk away.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>I love the current pro keyboards, but I would like to see a power button put back on, AND a little "sleep" button (so you don't always have to do it with the mouse/menu.

Just hit your sleep button on the keyboard and walk away.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Power then S does that on all Mac keyboards I've used.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatik:

<strong>Those Bronze keyboards were great.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey Real bronze keys! COuld be neat! Meybe instead of flavors now we can have a choice if metals: bronze, chrome, and brushed stainless!
  • Reply 49 of 64
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>I love the current pro keyboards, but I would like to see a power button put back on, AND a little "sleep" button (so you don't always have to do it with the mouse/menu.

Just hit your sleep button on the keyboard and walk away.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Control-Eject then tap the S key.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    I wouldn't trade my USB keyboard with its lovely power key for a gold keyboard with platinum trim, unless it too had a power key. My tower is burried under my desk where it belongs making he trip to its button a long and dangerous trek.

What I would like is the international version of the keyboard to be available in the US. I like the nice little icons for shift, control, option etc.
  • Reply 51 of 64
    [quote]Originally posted by noleli:

<strong> Oh, and does anyone else find it to be a problem that when the Pro keyboard is right infront of the G4 iMac it gets in the way of an ejecting CD drive.</strong><hr></blockquote>

off topic but yes
  • Reply 52 of 64
    [quote]Originally posted by Greg Mote:

[QB]I wouldn't trade my USB keyboard with its lovely power key for a gold keyboard with platinum trim, unless it too had a power key. /QB]<hr></blockquote>

Well the LCD have the startup button on the screen- not much good if you have an imac but i think the idea apple has is for you to put your comp asleep
  • Reply 53 of 64
    luissluiss Posts: 7member
    [quote]Originally posted by stepson:

<strong>I was thinking, since Apple is always saying "well we're the best because we make the hardware AND the software, rah rah rah!" (or something along those lines), that they should maybe stick some iTunes controls on the keyboard, in addition to the very useful volume control. ...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I thought 'F' keys across the top of the keyboard could already be used in this manner. Or is it only on xxxBooks with an 'FN' key to allow traditional use of the 'F' keys in addition to the 'overloaded' custom assignments ?

[ 06-26-2002: Message edited by: luiss ]</p>
  • Reply 54 of 64
    I miss the ability to map out the F-keys to different apps, like you could do in OS 9. I've never understood why OS X doesn't have this feature.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    Bluetooth will be built into in new case G4's ( still not certain for MWNY) therefore Apple wish to utilise the wireless capabilities to remove all that nasty wires from the computer.

Have you ever used a Bluetooth keyboared or mouse? It is very different from infrared technology; a lot faster.

You want more usb ports but with Bluetooth built in many more peripherals will use this technology. All Macs already have firewire also.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    White Apple Pro Keyboard and Mouse, standard, that's all.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    [quote]Originally posted by Aussie John:

<strong>

Well the LCD have the startup button on the screen- not much good if you have an imac but i think the idea apple has is for you to put your comp asleep</strong><hr></blockquote>

My G4 hasn't been able to sleep properly since I installed the second ATI card years ago. I suppose I wouldn't have to turn it off much if it could sleep.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>White Apple Pro Keyboard and Mouse, standard, that's all.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And you know this... how?
  • Reply 59 of 64
    gdogggdogg Posts: 3member
    [quote]Originally posted by Greg Mote:

<strong>I wouldn't trade my USB keyboard with its lovely power key for a gold keyboard with platinum trim, unless it too had a power key. My tower is burried under my desk where it belongs making he trip to its button a long and dangerous trek.

What I would like is the international version of the keyboard to be available in the US. I like the nice little icons for shift, control, option etc.</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 60 of 64
    gdogggdogg Posts: 3member
    Video editors often have their CPUs located in a machine room down the hall from their suites. A Power button on the keyboard is an amazingly useful feature in this situation.

Can't believe Apple removed it, especially since they wrote Final Cut Pro presumably with these users in mind.

Ditto for the function keys of OS 9 - very useful, now gone.