New Powerbooks... [Merged]

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm really punching myself hard after what I've just done. I just ordered the old powerbook and after reading this stuff now I'm scared. Think Apple would accept a return and ship the new powerbook when it's finally released? Damn I really hope so because I just hate the thought of them using me to get rid of old stock to make way for the new books.

Grr..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MovieScrptEndng

I'm really punching myself hard after what I've just done. I just ordered the old powerbook and after reading this stuff now I'm scared. Think Apple would accept a return and ship the new powerbook when it's finally released? Damn I really hope so because I just hate the thought of them using me to get rid of old stock to make way for the new books.

Grr..

Cancel your credit card payment ASAP...
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

Cancel your credit card payment ASAP...

I just got word from an Apple rep that my computer shipped today and that it is not returnable because it was custom built. Any ideas of what I should do? Think it's possible to convince them otherwise?

PS- It was shipped from Tawain and I suspect it's because no US distributors have any right now.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Custom order? You're stuck with it, unfortunately.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

I'm really punching myself hard after what I've just done. I just ordered the old powerbook

Ouch. You are boned.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    On the other hand, it's a really nice machine, and it should be able to tide you over until you've saved up for the new PowerBook G5... a week before the PowerBook G6 comes out.

But that's technology for you.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Could he possibly refuse to accept the package? When I worked for ClubMac, this worked. The customer would refuse the package and eventually it would come back to us so that our accounting gnomes could reverse the transaction. Don't plan on buying anything from the Apple store for a long time. I don't know how Apple handles this.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    No offence, but did you not even hear any rumours about a new Powerbook before placing an order?

I see you're new to this board, so perhaps not. Regardless, you might be able to enjoy a PB for a good few months while most of us are sitting here without one, waiting..and waiting and waiting..
  • Reply 8 of 43
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    You'll likely end up paying for shipping twice, that's all. I can see them saying "ok, how do you want us to ship YOUR PowerBook THIS time?".

It's really not that bad anyhow. You are probably getting a late production machine, which is a plus. And what if the new models are $100-200 more, and have fans that run all the time to cool the new, hotter processor? The Education rebate is going to be over by the time the new machines come out too, so people who wait can kiss their free printer and $300 rebate on an iPod goodbye. (CAD prices)

So in effect, a new PowerBook, even if the pricing stays the same, would cost you $450 more had you planned on using the promotion for your purchase. I'm not sure if you ordered it through the Edu store, but I'm just making a point.

You're getting a great notebook, just be happy with it. I am leaning towards just keeping my order in and getting the current one as well.

Staying away from forums like this would help deal with it as well.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    I check out these boards sometimes, but I hadn't in a while because it's mostly just gossip. When I finally looked here I heard talk about possibly the 26th being the date and that was my ship date so I got excited. The excitement ended when I was again shown not to believe most of the gossip around these boards.

Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

No offence, but did you not even hear any rumours about a new Powerbook before placing an order?

I see you're new to this board, so perhaps not. Regardless, you might be able to enjoy a PB for a good few months while most of us are sitting here without one, waiting..and waiting and waiting..

• Reply 10 of 43
    nemesisnemesis Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Grr..

Dont worry the Ti is a nice machine it has ati graphics better than the 17 and 12 nvidea garbage. I was going to buy a curren 15 in today.The 15's are not comng out anytime soon. I wish they were
  • Reply 11 of 43
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

When I finally looked here I heard talk about possibly the 26th being the date and that was my ship date so I got excited. The excitement ended when I was again shown not to believe most of the gossip around these boards.

Welcome to the emotional rollercoaster ride known as 'Future Hardware'.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

You'll likely end up paying for shipping twice, that's all. I can see them saying "ok, how do you want us to ship YOUR PowerBook THIS time?".

It's really not that bad anyhow. You are probably getting a late production machine, which is a plus. And what if the new models are $100-200 more, and have fans that run all the time to cool the new, hotter processor? The Education rebate is going to be over by the time the new machines come out too, so people who wait can kiss their free printer and $300 rebate on an iPod goodbye. (CAD prices)

So in effect, a new PowerBook, even if the pricing stays the same, would cost you $450 more had you planned on using the promotion for your purchase. I'm not sure if you ordered it through the Edu store, but I'm just making a point.

You're getting a great notebook, just be happy with it. I am leaning towards just keeping my order in and getting the current one as well.

Staying away from forums like this would help deal with it as well.

Well, they can't ship it to you if you drop off the face of the earth. If they don't know how to get ahold of you, then they can't bug you to reship it. Eventually, the sale is cancelled. As I said, don't expect to ever be able to buy something from the Apple store.

Murbot's point is a good one though. The new PB's aren't going to magically levitate on your desk and take dictation from your thoughts. You are actually getting a good machine, and the current edu discounts are amazing (I checked my campus reseller and was blown away by how cheap Apple is clearing out the current PB's). Besides, you practically get an iPod for free. Anyone who buys the new machine isn't going to get an iPod rebate.

On this forum, people generally go through three steps regarding new hardware:

1. Pre announcement hype: OMG OMG OMG! THE NEW HARDWARE WILL TOTALLY RULE!

2. Post announcement reality: DAMN! I can't belive how long it is going to take to get the hardware to me!

3. Post shipping second thoughts: Was Apple's marketing all a lie?

Repeat as necessary

Don't loose too much sleep if people hype the next product up to unreasonable levels- usually they are just preparing themselves for a big letdown.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    9:00 Am and no update. Man this sux. I am just going to not turn on my computer for a month and then hope they are updated.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    There will be no G5 powerbooks this year for several reasons:

Apple is waiting for the cooler smalled chips from IBM .09 process or whatever its called.

That Jowaizk Guy said no G5 powerbooks anytime soon.

The current G5 even underclocked would draw too much power to be used in a powerbook, not to mention the heat. ( Argue all you want but when it comes down to it, you know it would be a better computer if they just waited for the .09 process.)

I have heard from several knowledgeable people(who have been right before) that apple doesnt even plan to update the 15 untill next year when they all go G5.

I know, i know we are all suffering from powerbook deprivation, but i am considering purchasing current 15 in because the pricing is so good, especially for education. The updated g4...if there is one wont be that significant, maybe 1.25 g4 like the rumors site said. And if it had a crap nvidea graphics chip its not worth it.

Give me 3 good reason why there would be a G5 powerbook this year...
  • Reply 15 of 43
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    As much as I don't want to believe you, I know your right. But good luck trying to find a 15". They are gone, its almost impossible to find one now unless you want to look on eBay. By the way...what is the .09 micron G5? Is it smaller or cooler or what? Are there advantages or disadvantages to using it? Will it be faster or slower? Thanks
  • Reply 16 of 43
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I want a new one!!! But I don't want to pay for a new one. I have a 15" configured and the price is amazing after rebates and discounts and stuff like that. I don't know what to do.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by NEMESIS

There will be no G5 powerbooks this year for several reasons:

Apple is waiting for the cooler smalled chips from IBM .09 process or whatever its called.

That Jowaizk Guy said no G5 powerbooks anytime soon.

The current G5 even underclocked would draw too much power to be used in a powerbook, not to mention the heat. ( Argue all you want but when it comes down to it, you know it would be a better computer if they just waited for the .09 process.)

I have heard from several knowledgeable people(who have been right before) that apple doesnt even plan to update the 15 untill next year when they all go G5.

I know, i know we are all suffering from powerbook deprivation, but i am considering purchasing current 15 in because the pricing is so good, especially for education. The updated g4...if there is one wont be that significant, maybe 1.25 g4 like the rumors site said. And if it had a crap nvidea graphics chip its not worth it.

Give me 3 good reason why there would be a G5 powerbook this year...

Ok, I pretty much agree with you on that because of the time it took to put the G4 into a notebook but..... (this is my first post, yea for me!)

Being the eternal optimist, what if...

1. Ok, lets say you drop at Desktop G5 into a powerbook and underclock it to somewhere in the 1.2 or 1.4 range. Some say that it will be too hot right? Possibly, but that goes on the assuption that IBM was only working on a desktop G5 for the past 3 years. Maybe they've been working on a mobile G5 in parallel? Just speculation.

2. Regardless, however long I have to wait I am getting a G5 PB and will not bite on this "Hold-me-over-G4" no matter how long I have to wait! I got burned on my B&W G3 tower. 2 months after I got it.... oh look, shiny new graphite G4s. How great. All the other design school kids started bringing in their G4 manuals to show them off.... arghhhhhhh!!!!! Gimmie that! *Rip, Tear, Burn in face* I'm still raw about that.

3. Get that 64bit computing thing into gear. Ole Stevie should know that these new PBs (regardless of chip) are going to be bought up like mad.. posssibly... further adding to the 32bit legacy... taking away from the 64bit revolution.

4. About that Jowaizk Guy... of course he's going to say that! What did anyone expect? "Um, we just releaed these bas @$$ G5s but... there will be G5PBs in a few months so don't waste your money right now." That would've killed the G5 desktop sales extravaganza.

5. 10 Months for a friggin speed bump and 17" options?

6. Steve likes to drop bombs so there you go.

--- Below are the reasons I doubt it will happen

1. .09 process in Q1 2004.

2. Apple is still getting everything together.

3. umm.. there are more but I'm sure you all have heard it before.

That is all. Thank you for your time!
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by daddy MAC

Ok, I pretty much agree with you on that because of the time it took to put the G4 into a notebook but..... (this is my first post, yea for me!)

Being the eternal optimist, what if...

1. Ok, lets say you drop at Desktop G5 into a powerbook and underclock it to somewhere in the 1.2 or 1.4 range. Some say that it will be too hot right? Possibly, but that goes on the assuption that IBM was only working on a desktop G5 for the past 3 years. Maybe they've been working on a mobile G5 in parallel? Just speculation.

2. Regardless, however long I have to wait I am getting a G5 PB and will not bite on this "Hold-me-over-G4" no matter how long I have to wait! I got burned on my B&W G3 tower. 2 months after I got it.... oh look, shiny new graphite G4s. How great. All the other design school kids started bringing in their G4 manuals to show them off.... arghhhhhhh!!!!! Gimmie that! *Rip, Tear, Burn in face* I'm still raw about that.

3. Get that 64bit computing thing into gear. Ole Stevie should know that these new PBs (regardless of chip) are going to be bought up like mad.. posssibly... further adding to the 32bit legacy... taking away from the 64bit revolution.

4. About that Jowaizk Guy... of course he's going to say that! What did anyone expect? "Um, we just releaed these bas @$$ G5s but... there will be G5PBs in a few months so don't waste your money right now." That would've killed the G5 desktop sales extravaganza.

5. 10 Months for a friggin speed bump and 17" options?

6. Steve likes to drop bombs so there you go.

--- Below are the reasons I doubt it will happen

1. .09 process in Q1 2004.

2. Apple is still getting everything together.

3. umm.. there are more but I'm sure you all have heard it before.

That is all. Thank you for your time!

Welcome to the forum

1. The powerbook G5 would be the die shrunk G5. Non die shrunk PB speeds include 1.0GHz to 1.2 GHz, hardly earth shattering, frankly a 1.25 or 1.3 GHz G4 would be better for many things.

2. Be willing to wait until about March. I agree with you, I would not buy a new G4 Pb, but then again I don't need a new machine right now.

3. You can adopt 64 bit hardware now, and just install the software as it comes along. I agree that things will be better once everyone (i.e. developers) have had time to digest the 64 bit transition.

4. No, because most people who are buying G5's are getting dual 2GHz G5's. No way to get that in a laptop. Of course, Apple doesn't ever preannounce products.

5. I so agree with you. It has been way too long. I think that the forthcoming PB's will have a very short lifespan.

6. Yes, but ever since the 500MHz G4, Steve likes to drop bombs that actually exist.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    evil edevil ed Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally posted by daddy MAC

All the other design school kids started bringing in their G4 manuals to show them off.... arghhhhhhh!!!!! Gimmie that! *Rip, Tear, Burn in face* I'm still raw about that.

How old are you?
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Evil Ed

How old are you?

That was about 4 years ago. I was young then. I'm over it now.