Dual G5 Shipping Update

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
As some of you may already know, Thinksecret recently posted an article , saying that educational buyers were getting priority on G5 orders. However, "Thomas John1" at Apple's G5 discussion forums reports that

Quote:

I called the Apple Store to inquire directly about my order. [Yes, I know you can check order status on line. And I do. Frequently ]. The person I spoke with said emphatically that Apple is, as of right now (it is 8/26/03, 12:20 pm Pacific Daylight Time), entirely on schedule. This means if your shipping date says "on or before 8/29", your Dual will be shipped sometime over the next 2.5 days OR on the 29th. If it does not ship, if there is a delay, you will receive an e-mail from Apple telling you about the delay, possibly when you can expect it, and why the delay occurred. Likewise, if it does ship, you will receive an e-mail stating this. When I asked about the education buyers "affirmative action", this story was NOT denied and was called a "minor distribution change" and will NOT affect the general shipping date commitment of "on or before 8/29/03". As with anything, they can't predict the future, but that is how it stands right now.

So it seems that though Thinksecret is right, those of us with "On or Before 8/29" ship dates will be getting our machines soon.

If we don't hear from Apple by then, any other "8/29" buyers want to barrage Apple with calls on Saturday?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by qazII

So it seems that though Thinksecret is right, those of us with "On or Before 8/29" ship dates will be getting our machines soon.

I guess I have little bit of a hard time believing that Apple can move tens of thousands of machines out the door in the remaining 2.5 days. I don't actually know how many machines Apple claims will ship by the 29th, but it's probably on the order of tens of thousands. It seems like some people are going to end up waiting longer...

Does anyone know how fast they can move machines once they're in full production mode? Thousands per day seems reasonable to me, but tens of thousands?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    If my 2Ghz backorder from July 6th does not deliver on friday as advertised I would lobby for some tangible freebies thrown in such as discounted software packages as a good-will gesture.

(my order was placed too early to qualify for the final cut express offer)
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Doktorfaust

I guess I have little bit of a hard time believing that Apple can move tens of thousands of machines out the door in the remaining 2.5 days. I don't actually know how many machines Apple claims will ship by the 29th, but it's probably on the order of tens of thousands. It seems like some people are going to end up waiting longer...

This is my feeling as well, the 29th is the first date quoted for all G5s not just duals, but every model. From what I have been able to tell, if you ordered your G5 before July 15th you got an 8/29/03 (or it was 9/2 and later moved up to 8.29)...that's got to be a healthy umber of machines.

I just don't see how it's possible.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Bad news: Apple says dual 2GHz G5 CTOs have not yet been released to manufacturing and I should call back around Sept 5th.

*whimpers softly*
  • Reply 5 of 17
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    this is about when i love the fact that i'm purchasing from a huge university. come on baby! come to pappa!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anonymous Karma

Bad news: Apple says dual 2GHz G5 CTOs have not yet been released to manufacturing and I should call back around Sept 5th.

*whimpers softly*

You sure they weren't referring to your Dual CTO? Is your online status date 8/29?

Another post from Apple's Discussions forums (from "Alp"):

Quote:

Yup,Apple charged my "check card"....it's coming,baby!!!

Apple called to me today to confirm payment and my dual it's on it's way to me.The person told me,since I was one of the very very first to order(ordered one minute after Steve Jobs anounced,on 6/23),I should get my dual on friday/saturday.

Very excited....:-)

Hope you people get yours,too.

Alex

• Reply 7 of 17
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I ordered my Dualie on 7/15 and am still quoted as the 8/29 date. It is a CTO order. We'll see what happens....
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anonymous Karma

I was told specifically, last week, that my particular dual 2 GHz G5 CTO order was released to manufacturing. Furthermore, it was reiterated to me today that it would ship on schedule...

plus, one guy on the Apple forum indicated that he'd received notification that his dual 2GHz G5 had shipped today! He'd ordered minutes after the keynote ended.

OK, so here's a bizarre mental exercise for which I hope you'll forgive me:

I've been told repeatedly that people who ordered through the bricks-and-mortar Apple Stores would get priority over online orders. There are 63 Apple Stores, plus or minus a couple that I forgot to count. At the time I ordered, exactly one week after the keynote, I was number 186 at the Pasadena, CA store.

Let's assume, then, that the average number of G5 orders at the Apple Stores as of 6/30 were maybe 75. (Pasadena is an unusually high-traffic store.) This implies that there were maybe 4000 to 4500 orders for all models from Apple Stores in the first week.

Furthermore, I think it's reasonable to assume that the rate of orders would drop off pretty quickly after the first week, as it dawned on people that they wouldn't see their order for months, so between then and two weeks later might have been another 4000, for a total of 8500.

If all of those people had 8/29 ship dates, they'd have to ship 1600 of them a day, assuming they started on Monday, plus maybe another 1600 for the educational channel. That's 3200 G5 CPUs a day. (Presumably they'd been building them for a while.)

I suspect that that's within the range of what they can reasonably ship from their warehouse in a day, but I don't really know. I have a feeling that they can probably stuff about 200 50 lb. boxes in a truck, so that's 16 truckloads.

Sounds good to me!

-- Mark
  • Reply 9 of 17
    some notes on shipping ....

Why couldn't Apple ship thousands of machines in the next few days ???

Do you actually think they have to pass through Cupertino ???

As thes machines get loaded on planes in Taiwan.... each box can have the end-users address on it (ok... so it's a UPS barcode, or fedex, or whatever) ... the plane lands at some point in the US (Memphis? Louisville?) and each machine is sent on it's way to the consumer. It never has to touch Apple property.

This is the beautiful part of modern distribution methods.

In any case, it's not out of the question that several thousand machines could be "shipped" in a matter of days (or hours).
  • Reply 10 of 17
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    Apple Online Store now lists 4-6 weeks for Dual 2.0.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    CTO???

Whats that?

Mine is a BTO Dualie with Radeon 9800 Pro and bluetooth module.

Is this good or bad for me in regards to shipping.

I do have a 8/29 ship date, if that means anything now.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by qazII

Apple Online Store now lists 4-6 weeks for Dual 2.0.

And 7 - 10 business days for the 1.6 and 1.8
  • Reply 13 of 17
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    I wonder if adding an Airport Extreme card delayed the shipping date of the dual 2gig I ordered.

Are stock configuration G5's shipping first?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

CTO???

Whats that?

Configured To Order.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Just something else to think about...

I seem to remember that Apple has shipped up to 250,000 PM in a quarter before.

That works out to 250,000 / 91 Days

= 2750 PM/day.

And that's assuming perfectly equal distribution across the entire quarter, 7 days a week. Those are BAD assumptions.

I'd guess that they could move around 5-6K a day if they have to. Maybe more.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Transcendental Octothorpe

I seem to remember that Apple has shipped up to 250,000 PM in a quarter before.

That works out to 250,000 / 91 Days

= 2750 PM/day.

Hmm, I don't know how accurate the numbers are, but I'd be willing to bet that a large majority of those were bulk shipments to Ingram Micro, or direct to stores.

This is in contrast to individual boxes going out via Fed Ex, which is how most of the Apple Store orders will be fulfilled. Fed Ex only has so many trucks and planes.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    "This is in contrast to individual boxes going out via Fed Ex, which is how most of the Apple Store orders will be fulfilled. Fed Ex only has so many trucks and planes."

The Sacramento FedEx air hub (from which G5s are shipping) shipped 76 million pounds of air freight in 2002. This averages about 210,000 pounds a day, or about 4500 G5 machines. Peak for non-holiday times is probably at least half again that much.

However, I'd assume that a substantial fraction of the machines shipping are being shipped by ground, so though the G5 machines may be quite an event for the Sacramento FedEx folks it probably will not be a bottleneck.

-- Mark