How do i add my own alert sounds i OSX?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
i want to use the first "ping" from "Echoes" by Pink Floyd as an alert sound in OSX (Jaguar). I've got the sound all ready to go (.aif), but i can't figure out how to use it as an alert sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Well, first log in as root.

Or reboot in OS 9, and go to: system/library/sounds/

And add the clip you want. Haven't tried it myself, but I don't see why it shouldn't work.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    versiontracker results

previous thread on startup sound wishes
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

No!! Not the advice to give to a novice user!!

The Library hierarchy exists for a reason.
    • /System/Library is OFF-LIMITS to the user. Apple's system files ONLY.

• /Library is where the administrator puts files that will be used by all users.

• /Users/username/Library is where individual users put files that will only affect their accounts.

Take your pick of the latter two and put it in the directory beneath it called "Sounds". Once added, sounds will be available to applications after you relaunch them.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    gracias, señor brad
  • Reply 5 of 19
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

No!! Not the advice to give to a novice user!!

The Library hierarchy exists for a reason.

/System/Library is OFF-LIMITS to the user. Apple's system files ONLY.
    /Library is where the administrator puts files that will be used by all users.
    /Users/username/Library is where individual users put files that will only affect their accounts.

Take your pick of the latter two and put it in the directory beneath it called "Sounds". Once added, sounds will be available to applications after you relaunch them.

Holy shit...Deja Vu. How many times have you said this, brad? It's not a big deal.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Holy shit...Deja Vu. How many times have you said this, brad? It's not a big deal.

No, it is a big deal. You can really really FUBAR your system if you jack stuff up while root. Brad, you should almost add a sticky at the top of each forum telling people why root is bad so you don't have to keep repeating yourself.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

No, it is a big deal. You can really really FUBAR your system if you jack stuff up while root. Brad, you should almost add a sticky at the top of each forum telling people why root is bad so you don't have to keep repeating yourself.

Root has helped me a lot, but Brad's suggestion is relevent, and probably more intuitive for the user.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    I agree [with Brad]... and don't forget that if you put them in /users/example/library/sounds, other users don't hae the the pig noise (or whatever) cluttering up their options. Also, one more tip; Macs are supposed to use :'s to seperate, like this: Mac HD:Users:Example. (Yes I know UNIX-like OSes use /'s but Mac OS X tries to make it easier.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

Also, one more tip; Macs are supposed to use :'s to seperate, like this: Mac HD:Users:Example. (Yes I know UNIX-like OSes use /'s but Mac OS X tries to make it easier.

That has annoyed me from day one. Consistency, please! I HATE those colons. C'mon, Apple! Be UNIX.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Hmm, yeah, but if Apple became UNIX, then there'd be no Apple, and no OS X... Problematic yes?

Jimzip
  • Reply 11 of 19
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

That has annoyed me from day one. Consistency, please! I HATE those colons. C'mon, Apple! Be UNIX.

Yeah, well if Apple did that, than Mac OS 9.2 switchers would comlain about /'s. You just can't win. Anyway I think colons are better because:

a. Multiple drives. Try telling users to go too /Volumes/CDName/Game. This is more in-line with the filing sysytem: CDName:Game.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

And add the clip you want. Haven't tried it myself, but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Thats what i did. It worked fine just don't change anything else!
  • Reply 13 of 19
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

I like colons....
  • Reply 14 of 19
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

I agree [with Brad]... and don't forget that if you put them in /users/example/library/sounds, other users don't hae the the pig noise (or whatever) cluttering up their options. Also, one more tip; Macs are supposed to use :'s to seperate, like this: Mac HD:Users:Example. (Yes I know UNIX-like OSes use /'s but Mac OS X tries to make it easier.

Colons make more sense for human-readibility.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

In fact, it's a huge deal. There's four domains (Brad didn't mention Network), and they're all there for a reason.

System is there for Apple, and for kernel extensions. That's it!
  • Reply 16 of 19
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Yeah, well if Apple did that, than Mac OS 9.2 switchers would comlain about /'s. You just can't win. Anyway I think colons are better because:

a. Multiple drives. Try telling users to go too /Volumes/CDName/Game. This is more in-line with the filing sysytem: CDName:Game.

Er... Go to the Finder. Go go the Go menu. Select the 'Go to Folder...' menu item.

Type in a path using colons. *I* can't get it to work... sorry, but I think that the colon is there only for legacy reasons anymore... :/ (Hey, it might change in 10.3...)
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Er... Go to the Finder. Go go the Go menu. Select the 'Go to Folder...' menu item.

Type in a path using colons. *I* can't get it to work... sorry, but I think that the colon is there only for legacy reasons anymore... :/ (Hey, it might change in 10.3...)

Then again, Go To Folder is only there for UNIX reasons. But this is a crazy argument. We're arguing over colons?!
  • Reply 18 of 19
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Then again, Go To Folder is only there for UNIX reasons. But this is a crazy argument. We're arguing over colons?!

Where are my colon screenshots!?!?!?!?!?

Eww, that kinda sounds gross.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

High colonics are high humor!

We now take you back to your regularly scheduled thread...