YES 30" displays CONFIRMED!!!! well sorta

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Taken from www.macOSrumors.com:

30-inch Cinema Display updates: New reports from Southeast Asian LCD manufacturing sources indicate that Apple may be very close to making, or may have recently made, its choice as to a supplier of LCD panels for its forthcoming 30-inch Cinema Display. Resolution is extremely high, as we have reported previously: "well over 2,000 horizontal pixels, and may be Apple's first 16:9 widescreen (existing widescreens are 16:10)".

Well, it looks like the new Cinema's resolution could be considerably higher than that -- under 3,000 horizontal pixels, but not by much. One reported LCD panel that Apple was considering, by a Taiwanese manufacturer, sported 2800x1575 pixels. A 23-inch, 1920x1200 panel is cool, but a 30-inch unit that has nearly half again the pixels (4.41 Million vs. 2.3) would be just plain sweet. The price tag will be steep at first of course (as high as the same $3,500 that the Cinema HD 23 premiered at -- now $1799 from many retailers), but if you want one of the best displays out there, Apple intends to have you covered in less than six months' time -- perhaps much sooner

Man thats gonna be so dang cool!!!

I wonder if apple will have the 30inch model with the same design as the current dispalys (pinestripes and all) or will sport an alumuim case to match the G5?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    IF Apple is to introduce this beast, then they need to make the OS X GUI truly scalable on all counts.

ANyone who has used a 23" LCD for 5 minutes can probably not imagine what more pixel density would look like.

MSKR
  • Reply 2 of 26
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Masker

IF Apple is to introduce this beast, then they need to make the OS X GUI truly scalable on all counts.

ANyone who has used a 23" LCD for 5 minutes can probably not imagine what more pixel density would look like.

MSKR

and that's not just apple. ALL third parties would have to be able to scale. hell, have you tried to read photoshop palettes on a 23" screen??? good thing it's super-sharp, but still...
  • Reply 3 of 26
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wireless

Taken from www.macOSrumors.com:

You haven't been around here long?
  • Reply 4 of 26
    nervnerv Posts: 26member
    "MOSR" and "confirmed" should not go in the same post.

PHP Code:

<!-- php buffer start --><code><span style="color: #000000">
    <span style="color: #0000BB"></span><span style="color: #007700">echo&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #DD0000">'Testing:&nbsp;'&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #007700">.&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #0000BB">date</span><span style="color: #007700">(</span><span style="color: #DD0000">'l,&nbsp;F&nbsp;j,&nbsp;Y'</span><span style="color: #007700">);&nbsp;
    <br /></span><span style="color: #0000BB"></span>
    </span>

• Reply 5 of 26
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NerV

"MOSR" and "confirmed" should not go in the same post.

Actually, MOSR is exactly the kind of confirmation that deserves a "CONFIRMED" in the title.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

Actually, MOSR is exactly the kind of confirmation that deserves a "CONFIRMED" in the title.

No, MOSR is exactly the kind of confirmation that deserves a "?" in the title.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

No, MOSR is exactly the kind of confirmation that deserves a "?" in the title.

So MOSR is unreliable? whats the reason? how many times have they been wrong in the past?

I think that if apple does make a 30" they will annouce it at the apple expo, to go with panther.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    nervnerv Posts: 26member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wireless

So MOSR is unreliable? whats the reason? how many times have they been wrong in the past?

I can't recall a single time MOSR got it right. MOSR has been predicting larger screens and wireless keyboards and mice for forever now. Those advancements are inevitable, and so those predictions are just like predicting that the sun will rise in the east.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I remember right when I started following the rumor websites that MOSR got the scoop on the cube.

Since then, they haven't even been remotely close on anything
  • Reply 10 of 26
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Hi Wireless, welcome to AI.

MOSR is kinda notorious for...well, being completely full of crap. To put it semi-nicely.

I've been aware of them for 2 or 3 years now and, yes, I do check them 2 or 3 times a week (got 'em bookmarked, even), but it's more for chuckles, forehead slaps and eyerolls (in other words, entertainment value) than for any true, inside dirt or info.

In the time I've been aware of them, I honestly don't think they've been right about ANYTHING. I say that with no exaggeration intended!

Others here can probably tell you more about the person running the site, but it's pretty much known and accepted that he and his site are just grasping at straws and pulling wild stuff out of their hat at any given moment.

He tries to write his stuff as though he's goi the inside line and has "sources". His "sources" are whatever pops into his head, apparently, because there are things he all but promised years ago that have NEVER materialized.

As a matter of fact, I'd love to go back through his archives and check to see just how off he is...might be fun reading!

Long story short, find the largest grain of salt you can when reading ANYTHING at MOSR. You'll be glad you did.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    This one should do:

• Reply 12 of 26
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Grain of salt, looks more like 10 pounds to me. Oh well what the hell, it's the thought that counts.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by markiv

Grain of salt, looks more like 10 pounds to me. Oh well what the hell, it's the thought that counts.

It's a large grain of salt. Get it?
  • Reply 14 of 26
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    The one thing they did get right that no one credits them for is the form factor for the LCD iMacs. Granted, all they had was pencil sketchings, but it came out before the Canadian Time website released the scoop, and they hit the nail on the head, including the articulated LCD arm.

Other than that, I have no idea regarding their hit rates.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    One of MacOSRumors' pet predictions is 4- and 8-processor PowerMacs. They're not called MOSR anymore, though.

BTW, anyone look at the referenced As The Apple Turns (ATAT)? Is it just me, or are these folks suddenly writing comprehensibly?
  • Reply 16 of 26
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    I, like pscates, have MOSR bookmarked and check it out about twice a week with no real expectations and no real belief that they have credible (or even any) sources giving them 'the scoop.' It's more about entertainment than information.

But here's the thing that really annoys me about MOSR: Apple will announce a new product or upgrade (i.e. iSight) or a 'reader' will write in with a bit of news (i.e. Virtual PC incompatible with the G5), and MOSR always replies, "We have heard similar reports from ________ sources for some time now." Every time I read this I roll my eyes. If you (MOSR) knew about it, then why the hell didn't you write anything about it?

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

One of MacOSRumors' pet predictions is 4- and 8-processor PowerMacs. They're not called MOSR anymore, though.

BTW, anyone look at the referenced As The Apple Turns (ATAT)? Is it just me, or are these folks suddenly writing comprehensibly?

To paraphrase 'Raising Arizona': They have a baby now! Everything's chaaanged!

I don't think they were incomprehensible; now they just have less time for verbiage. Anyway, I like yesterday's Motorola-slamming double feature.

Quote:

Especially since, if the protracted scarcity of new G4 processors will nuke Apple's quarterly revenue badly enough to warrant an earnings warning, you just know Uncle Steve's going to pay a little visit to Motorola headquarters with a big, scary axe.

What a wonderful image: turtle-neck, jeans and an AD&D battle axe.

Screed ...wondering what Chris Galvin's THAC0 is these days...
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Personally I don't see a need for a 30" monitor, unless of course you are watching DVD's on it and the monitor dubs as your television. That would be one nice display for a Movie!

However, I'd love them to release one because it would probably accompany a price drop on the 23" monitor which I've had my eye on.

But lets be realistic, I'd prefer my G5 Powerbook before any monitor!
  • Reply 19 of 26
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr_Holistic

Personally I don't see a need for a 30" monitor, unless of course you are watching DVD's on it and the monitor dubs as your television. That would be one nice display for a Movie!

However, I'd love them to release one because it would probably accompany a price drop on the 23" monitor which I've had my eye on.

But lets be realistic, I'd prefer my G5 Powerbook before any monitor!

You don't use palette-crazy applications, do you?
  • Reply 20 of 26
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    If I could work with one scene in PS/AI and render one (1600 x 1200) so that I could look at it as it was running in POVray I'd be happy, bring on the 30". I paid $3500 for my first 22" ACD (would rather not have to do it again, but if that is the price so be it)