Linux and OSX???

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone running both on the same Mac? What version of Linux and how is it working for you? What are good sources for open source Linux apps? What is your "can't see how I lived without this before" Linux app? What would say is the biggest advantage and the biggest disadvantage of doing both OS's?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I've not dual-booted but I was going to try the live CDs from gentoo (http://www.gentoo.org/). You can boot an entire Linux system from the CD without affecting the OS on the machine. Neat!

I would imagine that for most purposes dual-booting on PPC would be pointless. You can get most of the apps through fink or similar and since your running on ppc, you won't get many Linux binaries that work anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

I've not dual-booted but I was going to try the live CDs from gentoo (http://www.gentoo.org/). You can boot an entire Linux system from the CD without affecting the OS on the machine. Neat!

I would imagine that for most purposes dual-booting on PPC would be pointless. You can get most of the apps through fink or similar and since your running on ppc, you won't get many Linux binaries that work anyway.

I'll check it out, thanks. I really don't need a dual boot system, just being curious is all. I think I may give it a try for the hell of it, if I feel confident that I won't wreck my system.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

I'll check it out, thanks. I really don't need a dual boot system, just being curious is all. I think I may give it a try for the hell of it, if I feel confident that I won't wreck my system.

try yellow dog linux..

or mandrake

i've used both, and there fine and don't wreck your system...
  • Reply 4 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

Better yet, they come with Mac-on-Linux, meaning you can boot Linux and run Mac OS X *and* Mac OS 9 *within* Linux at the same time.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I use gentoo and OSX.3 on the same TiBook. Works like a charm.

Installing for the first time will have it's challenges, but once it is up and running, it will all be worth it.

I have a dual boot because back in the os9 days, linux was so much further advanced than OS9 I spent most of my time in linux. In the early OSX days (preview releases -> 10.1), OSX was hella slow and incomplete, and would have sucked on my then PBG3.

Now, I just like to keep tabs on the little OS that could (destroy microsoft some day soon), and run most gnu software hassle free via portage, gentoo's beautiful software installation process.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

and run most gnu software hassle free via portage, gentoo's beautiful software installation process.

Just FYI: gentoo are commited to bringing portage to OS X.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Well, I read this thread and decided it was time for me to nerd it up. I downloaded the live Gentoo CD and booted and stuff. I did the Xeasyconf thing but I get an error every time saying no usable screen(s) were found.

I did sort of boot once but it looked the way an old t.v. does after someone has been messing with the v-hold.

Bah.

Anyone care to offer some help?

I'm on an iMac DV+, 320MB RAM, ATI RAGE 128 Pro.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Well, I read this thread and decided it was time for me to nerd it up. I downloaded the live Gentoo CD and booted and stuff. I did the Xeasyconf thing but I get an error every time saying no usable screen(s) were found.

I did sort of boot once but it looked the way an old t.v. does after someone has been messing with the v-hold.

Bah.

Anyone care to offer some help?

I'm on an iMac DV+, 320MB RAM, ATI RAGE 128 Pro.

InActionMan I can't help you with your problem but I just wanna say that I have (Mandrake) Linux running on an older Pentium 2 machine and it's acting as my server. It runs great for only having 96 MB of RAM. VRAM is a different story but it runs great. It's sorta off topic but I just thought I'd share. ^_~
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Inaction man, search the gentoo ppc forums. If your topic has not come up, then post a new thread.

I do know that there is excellent support for the rage128 in XFree86, and that video should be smooth.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Hi,

could any of you point me to where I download a live gentoo CD image - the ftp servers appear to have thousands of files that I don't understand.

Thanks,

David
  • Reply 11 of 13
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    1) Yes

2) Yellowdog 3.0

3) sourceforge.net

4) Nothing that isn't on any other platform... but if you must have one, it's VideoLAN Client

5) When one OS is FUBAR (or won't do something you need, like NAT or SMB print sharing), you can switch to the other and carry on working

6) The only drawback is using hard drive space... but who cares?

Barto
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMacfan

Hi,

could any of you point me to where I download a live gentoo CD image - the ftp servers appear to have thousands of files that I don't understand.

Thanks,

David

http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/releas....4_rc7/livecd/

grab either the KDE or Gnome one. KDE is more mature, but more windows-like. Gnome is more mac like, but newer and has fewer apps.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Personally I prefer KDE 3 over GNOME.

KDE 3 is a huge step up over KDE 2, and I just find it so much more usable.