iTunes is Bogus says downhillbattle.org

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
http://www.downhillbattle.org/itunes/

More proof that Idiots shouldn't become webmasters.

If we boil this down to it's base. What we have is this.

As an Artist you can either handle your Promotion and Distribution yourself or let the Label do it. If the lable does this and fronts the cost of your production then they are going to keep as many rights to your music as they can.

If you want to do it on your own then the possiblity has been there for sometime. With the advent of the Internet as a viable commercial medium nothing is stopping Artists from pressing their own CDs. Creating a Website and selling.

Artists who do try find out it's NOT an easy job. Many musicians simply want to play music and let the label handle the drudgery. I cannot begrude the labels to assume the risk.

So here's the note to artists. If you want more of that .99 pie...then handle your own promotion and everything else that constitutes the "Business" end of the Music Industry.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

As an Artist you can either handle your Promotion and Distribution yourself or let the Label do it. If the lable does this and fronts the cost of your production then they are going to keep as many rights to your music as they can.

If you want to do it on your own then the possiblity has been there for sometime. With the advent of the Internet as a viable commercial medium nothing is stopping Artists from pressing their own CDs. Creating a Website and selling.

Artists who do try find out it's NOT an easy job. Many musicians simply want to play music and let the label handle the drudgery. I cannot begrude the labels to assume the risk.

So here's the note to artists. If you want more of that .99 pie...then handle your own promotion and everything else that constitutes the "Business" end of the Music Industry.

All this mess with file sharing and so on has not given me the imrepssion that the music industry is evil, only that musician's are whiney. I haven't heard any charges of labels coercing bands to sign with them, so why do they all complain so much about contracts that they voluntarily signed? Of course the industry is going to try and give the artists as little as possible and charge the public as much as possible. That's what businesses do. If artists stopped signing bad contracts, they might get better ones. I don't feel the least bit guilty if me buying someone's music from the recording industry doesn't give them much money, I don't see why anyone would.

And what's with this site's complaint that it's not cheap enough? They're saying that you should want to support the artist, but that you should buy a used CD instead of iTunes? huh? Plus you don't have to wait for iTunes CD's to be delivered, and the downloads are in my experience MUCH faster than file sharing, despite what the author of this site says.

Either way, I'm convinced that the author of this site doesn't know what he's talking about, and judging from their comments about p2p being fast, hasn't tried the iTMS. Oh well, opinions are like... oh wait, no profanity on these boards, right?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Slightly off topic: www.gemm.com is your friend
  • Reply 3 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Slightly off topic: www.gemm.com is your friend

Cool link. I've been wanting to find a decent online CD Store. Thanks.

Delphiki-

I agree. Contracts are Contracts. Not artists was forced to sign the contract. There is ALWAYS the option to fulfill the originall Contract and go independant. I guess the whole www.dontbuymusic.com and www.boycottbuymusic.com has spurned another "me too" site. Once of which purports to stand for musicians but has such childish writing and reasoning. It's hard to take serious.

The way to larger profits has always been to cut out the middleperson.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

particularly the 37 page-widths of needless horizontal scroll in Safari

• Reply 5 of 10
    I suspect that website is created by some shitty "musician" who can't get a record deal for love nor money and is taking it out on Apple
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Delphiki

Of course the industry is going to try and give the artists as little as possible and charge the public as much as possible. That's what businesses do. If artists stopped signing bad contracts, they might get better ones.

This sounds pretty straight forward in theory, but the problem is that between all the record companies, they offer the same unreasonable inflexible "boiler-plate" contracts. Why don't market forces and old fashioned competition come into play? hmmmm... Good question.

I don't mean to get all "x-files" but there is a clear conspiracy between the record execs to enslave artists and not give them options to negotiate.

Put that into your Mac and burn it!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ericgericg Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ernest eMac

I suspect that website is created by some shitty "musician" who can't get a record deal for love nor money and is taking it out on Apple

My thoughts exactly.....
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ernest eMac

I just got the feeling that it's someone who likes downloading free music, and doesn't particulary care for a paying alternative. I know not much of the money at the iTunes store goes to the artist, but at least some does--so I prefer it to P2P alternatives.

I mean he argues that it's cheaper to buy used CD's--but used CD's give absolutely no money or promotion to the musician. Then there is this quote "Downloads are fast, there's a bigger selection, and peer to peer sharing doesn't prop up the music industry. Plus it's free."

Now most musicians, even those who embrace downloading as a promotional tool don't want their music to be free. There is nothing here that makes me think the webmaster is any kind of artist. He's just using the fact that the music industry is corrupt--and it is--to justify his continued use of P2P, thus giving no money to the artists.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Not to mention I'm sure he really sends money to the artists

Man what a slap in the face that would be

"Dear Artists,

I downloaded 50 of your songs...didn't buy them though Here is $.99!

Sincerely,

No return address"
  • Reply 10 of 10
    bbentbbent Posts: 1member
    I totally agree with your commentary. Everyone of these artists that complain or the ones that are just opinionated about the music industry don't have a clue as to what goes into making a music career work. Thanks so much for being so blunt and upfront.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post