"Mysterious Safari 1.1 v94 Sports New Interface"

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Sounds good - the current version of Safari is terribly drab and could really use some eye candy - but where's the mysterious story about this mysterious build? It's mentioned on the AI lead page, but there's no reference to it on the news bytes page....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Blue Meanie

Sounds good - the current version of Safari is terribly drab and could really use some eye candy - but where's the mysterious story about this mysterious build? It's mentioned on the AI lead page, but there's no reference to it on the news bytes page....

It's on the news bytes page at the top. You might be looking at a cached copy, so hit Refresh.

The screenshot shows why Apple went with metal the first time: It's not at all easy to tell where the browser interface ends and Apple's home page begins.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

It's on the news bytes page at the top. You might be looking at a cached copy, so hit Refresh.

'Tain't showing up for me either.

• Reply 3 of 39
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Hmm..interesting. If that is what it will become, they need to move the controls around a little to fit with Aqua. Other than that, it's pretty cool! (not like I have a problem with brushed metal or anything).
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Hmmm....weird. I hit refresh several times - no difference. I changed browsers (IE to Firebird - am currently on my Windoze-pumping office PC - it's a slow day as anyone who tots up my total post count today will guess) and I'll be goshdarned, there it was.

See what you mean about this version being just a little to similar to Apple's home page, Amorph. I don't have a problem with brushed metal as such - I just think the company which gave us Quartz and Aqua could put a little more thought into those oh-so-drab button bar icons...
  • Reply 5 of 39
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    I like the metal version better. I actually like the metal apps a lot. I think they should make Sherlock metal again.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'm not seeing it...can someone who can see it post a image?
  • Reply 7 of 39
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Looks like a hack to me.

The UI elements look smooshed and slightly askew. Everything blends together. And I can't imagine Apple giving up their custom Safari tabs, with the very useful mini-close buttons for "that switcher thing"-style tabs.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    I still can't see it...
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Are you clicking the right link, Placebo?

AppleInsider News Bytes

Quote:

Earlier this evening sources reported on a mysterious version of Safari 1.1 (v94) that has surfaced from an unknown origin.

The version comes packaged with its own Panther-based installer and is only executable on Mac OS X 10.3. The Aluminum interface is gone, and replaced by Panther's toned down Aqua theme. Additionally, webpage tabs are now reminiscent of the softer 'button-tabs' that began to appear in earlier builds of Mac OS X 10.3 Panther.

At this time it is unknown if this is an authentic Apple build or simply a cleaver hack. Either way, its interesting.

An image is on the page with the link above.

My 2 cents? It's a fake.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Hah..you know whats weird. The page doesn't come up at all in IE on the PC. I looked at it with Mozilla first and then went back later to check it out again and it doesn't show up.

No matter how many times I hit refresh, IE won't display it. The only thing it shows is the Mouse/Keyboard article. No new article above it.

Strange huh?
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Clear IE's cache or temporary files or whatever the hell Microsoft decided to call it. Shoot, give Windows a solid reboot too. That might fix it.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    or if you're using windows maybe you need to reformat it - j/k
  • Reply 13 of 39
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Clear IE's cache or temporary files or whatever the hell Microsoft decided to call it. Shoot, give Windows a solid reboot too. That might fix it.

Doesn't help. You (I) probably have to log out and in again on top of this to get the new article.

PS: I think deleting the cache deletes your cookies too unless you feel like scouring through all that stuff one by one.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Nope, thats not it. I just viewed the source and the article is there! This is an HTML issue. Somehow IE for Windows isn't rendering the HTML for that paragraph. Wacky stuff.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    I found the problem. Its this chunk of code:

Code:

<script type="text/javascript"><!--

google_ad_client = "pub-2892341250670811";

google_ad_width = 468;

google_ad_height = 60;

google_ad_format = "468x60_as";

google_color_border = "2D5893";

google_color_bg = "99AACC";

google_color_link = "000000";

google_color_url = "000099";

google_color_text = "003366";

//--></script>

Take that out and the article will show.....if anyone actually cares that much about IE/Windows users being able to read it
  • Reply 16 of 39
    I'll just wait 'til I'm home. Gives me incentive to finish what I'm doing.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    The last mention of safari I see on the newsBytes page is dated June 22.

Brad (or someone), can you just find the URL for the image and post it? I'm having no luck...and I'm using Safari.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
  • Reply 19 of 39
    No way their going to go from a bordeless browser to a bordered on , and I don't see how they could possibly make rounded corners work... they already have enough trouble rendering pages correctly ... fake.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Ah, home, sweet, home. My Safari sees it fine, thanks anyway, Amorph. Doesn't look quite ready for primetime if it is real, as the scrollbar doesn't meet the tab's bounding shape too well.