Airport (graphite) Base Station Dead?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Woke up this morning (after a thunderstorm) do a potentially dead base station. It was hooked up to a surge protector but no activity lights on it.

After unplugging and tuning it back on I can get all 3 red lights to light up continuously. I have not seen ANY green lights flash (but my cable modem it was hooked up to is working fine)

I have tried the 30 second reset routine.......no luck.

Anyone have this problem before? Am I the proud (soon to be) owner of an Airport Extreme Station to replace this one?????

Thanks

Greg

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    If the ethernet cable which was hooked up to the Airport was not also surged, A electrical surge can actually jump onto that cable and travel right into the Airport base station.

Another guess of mine is if a thunderstorm is really close with lots of electrical activity. it raises the electrial ions in the air, which may have damaged the antenna.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregincolumbus

Woke up this morning (after a thunderstorm) do a potentially dead base station. It was hooked up to a surge protector but no activity lights on it.

After unplugging and tuning it back on I can get all 3 red lights to light up continuously. I have not seen ANY green lights flash (but my cable modem it was hooked up to is working fine)

I have tried the 30 second reset routine.......no luck.

Anyone have this problem before? Am I the proud (soon to be) owner of an Airport Extreme Station to replace this one?????

Thanks

Greg

• Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

If the ethernet cable which was hooked up to the Airport was not also surged, A electrical surge can actually jump onto that cable and travel right into the Airport base station.

Another guess of mine is if a thunderstorm is really close with lots of electrical activity. it raises the electrial ions in the air, which may have damaged the antenna.

so you think my base station is toast????
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Pretty much so. I'll look around and see if their's any documentation on if anything on the main board can be reset (comparing how on the powermac's resetting the Pram will help certian problems). I'll try to find something an post it.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Are you sure the cable modem is working?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Are you sure the cable modem is working?

Cable modem is working fine...what REALLY sucks is I think that my HP 680N wireless print server may have been fried too.....again.....using a surge protector. I picked up a new airport station and airport is running fine now but I cannot get the 680n to reset to defaults so I can install it on the new network

This is not fun (nor inexpensive!)
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Doesn't the new ABS have a print server capability (USB port)?

My cheapo US robotics WiFi router/100BT ethernet switch/firewall/print server has a printer port and I can give instructions on getting your mac to print with it.

BTW, sorry to hear about your troubles, that really sucks.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

I'd give you points for originality but not a passing grade.

The most likely event is that a lightning strike travelled through wiring and damaged the base station. I think that cheap surge protectors do no protect well against lightning strikes.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Not sure if it is relevant, but I came across this for another thread, and at $45, the price is right:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...300094-6605400
  • Reply 10 of 11
    You should upgrade your surge to a Triplite (Think that's how you spell it) They have the highest Joules rating, over 3400 I think. It's the highest I've seen. I think it's around $45 doll hairs!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

You should upgrade your surge to a Triplite (Think that's how you spell it) They have the highest Joules rating, over 3400 I think. It's the highest I've seen. I think it's around $45 doll hairs!

Is there really that much of a difference of protection between 3690 joule rating and 2350 joule rating? Does 1340 make that much of a difference?