Perfect update to coincide with new Powermac

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    naepstnnaepstn Posts: 78member
    Um, I didn't think that FW2 devices would work with FW1 ports (on the computer). I realize that the spec says that FW2 ports will be backward compatible with FW1 devices, but is it true in reverse? If not, then the only people capable of buying one of these new iPods would be the people who had JUST bought a new G4/G5. Now THAT'S a small market!
  • Reply 22 of 25
    vvmpvvmp Posts: 63member
    FIREWIRE is one of the KEY advantages of the ipod vs the competition who favor USB. Apple has had to promote their own technology because the competition wants to be USB compatible with the PC wrld. I think it's great....all the more pwr to Apple. I want to see Firewire2 on Apple branded still cameras and a video pod with MPEG4. SMOKIN!
  • Reply 23 of 25
    jibejibe Posts: 1member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacJedai:

<strong>

[..]I wish Apple would sell a "PhotoPad" that can be used to offload the image files from the camera, display them either on an LCD or a TV, connect up with iPhoto automatically etc. Come to think of it, an enhanced iPod would be great in this respect. Unfortunately, Apple may have to design in USB to do it, because not all cameras have F/W yet.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why that complicated? The moment the iPod was introduced my first thought was: now a tiny FireWire CompactFlash card reader like the<a href="http://www.microtechint.com/qs-zio.html"; target="_blank">Zio</a>. Plug this babe into the iPod's FW port, and transfer the files onto the iPod. This'll be really cool and it can't be that difficult, can it? Just some driver, and there are already FW readers - just strip them down a little, get rid of the cable and that's it.

Maybe someone at Apple (or somewhere else) takes care of my thoughts

cheers,

Bernd
  • Reply 24 of 25
    So the vibe im getting is that it would be pointless to have Firewire 2 in the ipod in its current state because the Hard drive already cant hadle the input FireWire (1) is giving it???
  • Reply 25 of 25
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jibe:

<strong>

Why that complicated? The moment the iPod was introduced my first thought was: now a tiny FireWire CompactFlash card reader like the<a href="http://www.microtechint.com/qs-zio.html"; target="_blank">Zio</a>. Plug this babe into the iPod's FW port, and transfer the files onto the iPod. This'll be really cool and it can't be that difficult, can it? Just some driver, and there are already FW readers - just strip them down a little, get rid of the cable and that's it.

Maybe someone at Apple (or somewhere else) takes care of my thoughts

cheers,

Bernd</strong><hr></blockquote>

I was actually hoping to direct connect the "photopod" to the digital cammera, with the "photopod" being able to recognize the camera and down load the pix. Guess I was intentionally being to vague there ... sorry. Nothing complicated about that idea, just making it compatible with all the earlier USB cameras out there, makes it so. Otherwise, Apple would limit the audience too much. I was looking at extremely mobile means of offloading CF cards without having to bring my laptop, or buy alot more cards. Several companies make "photopod" devices having capacities ranging from 5GB to 30GB (MindStor and Jobo's Nixvue are a couple of them). When looking at their products, I thought Apple could do it better. Although the latest Nixvue one is pretty sweet. If you go to that unbiased review URL I posted earlier, reviews are posted fow a few storage devices. Maybe Apple figues it can spend the $$ more wisely ... like on G5 developement and production (said somewhat sarcastically). I can only hope (out of RDF now).

Thanks for the "insanity check".