Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?

Comments

• Reply 161 of 556
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by H4wk

If, and I mean that with quit a bit of emphasis. If the 15" is updated mid/late Sept, they won't ship for at least a couple weeks afterward. Wouldn't Steve have lost all momentum of selling to the shool bound crowd????

They've lost the opportunity to sell new hardware to the school bound crowd. But the new PowerBook will be ready when it's ready, and not before; and in the meantime Apple can offer their existing lineup - which is selling just fine, thank you - in really nice bundles, at attractive discounts.

As long as most people just go out and buy what they need when they need it, Apple's good to go.
  • Reply 162 of 556
    I work for a university that just made a huge deal with powerbooks for students. It is my understanding that apple said to my university that a new PB will not be out for a while. I'm not sure how realiable my source is but they just made a multi-million dollar education deal with the 1ghz 15" PB and all students will be using them. Take it for what it is.

dolphyjazz
  • Reply 163 of 556
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Would I be completely lame if - in my desire to "go mobile" quickly and inexpensively - simply get a nice 900MHz, combo drive 12" iBook (my friend has the 14" 900MHz iBook and it's really a fine, solid little machine!) and just worry about a PowerBook sometime in mid-2004?

Maybe I can just skip the whole "G4 PowerBook" thing altogether and go straight from a nice little iBook to a G5 PowerBook in a year?

I swear, I'm getting completely worn out over all this. Idiot rumors, Tuesdays coming and going, etc.

I can spend $1299 and be done with it already. It was, after all, my ORIGINAL intention (get an iBook).

I mean, there's no damn way I'm going to drop $2000-2600 on a 7455 PowerBook (if that most recent French rumor is right). I'd rather get a proven 900MHz G3 that I KNOW performs well (plus the great AirPort performance of the iBook).

Maybe the G4 PowerBook is a bust.

• Reply 164 of 556
    No Way...

G5 Powerbooks at Paris!

My only question is would you really want to by one that soon?

It would be on the 130nm chip... We all know the 90nm would produce less heat and by that time run faster. Not to mention that softerware titles would probally be up to speed with 64-bit optimized software. You'd have a rockin machine!

Besides, if they don't have Panther installed on those computers announced at Apple Expo, why bother? It would only be another month before you'd want to upgrade to the new OS!
  • Reply 165 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr_Holistic

Besides, if they don't have Panther installed on those computers announced at Apple Expo, why bother? It would only be another month before you'd want to upgrade to the new OS!

Yeah, but chances are that Apple would offer those who buy the new Paris hardware Panther as a free upgrade. They usually do for people who buy right around that release window.

I, for one, am not convinced on the new hardware front. We've been used and abused by the rumor sites over the last two weeks worse than I can ever remember before. And not just a couple of fly-by-night organizations or people looking to make a buck but by the "reputable" sites.

I'm so sick of CONFIRMED! that the sight of the word makes me physically ill. I'm putting along on my Ti400 with a shift key missing and a spacebar that sticks--but I'll be damned if I'm going to pony up cash for a machine that's going to be upgraded by the time it ships to my door.
  • Reply 166 of 556
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    what about ibooks update??? when were they last updated and what the possibility of superdrive in the ibook
  • Reply 167 of 556
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zygote

Yeah, but chances are that Apple would offer those who buy the new Paris hardware Panther as a free upgrade. They usually do for people who buy right around that release window.

[SNIP]

I bought a Rev. A PBG4-500 on 17FEB2001, just over 1 month before the release of OSX.0 (24MAR2001). There were no free upgrades offered. I was lucky in the fact that I could buy it as a student for $69.
  • Reply 168 of 556
    nemesisnemesis Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Would I be completely lame if - in my desire to "go mobile" quickly and inexpensively - simply get a nice 900MHz, combo drive 12" iBook (my friend has the 14" 900MHz iBook and it's really a fine, solid little machine!) and just worry about a PowerBook sometime in mid-2004?

Maybe I can just skip the whole "G4 PowerBook" thing altogether and go straight from a nice little iBook to a G5 PowerBook in a year?

I swear, I'm getting completely worn out over all this. Idiot rumors, Tuesdays coming and going, etc.

I can spend $1299 and be done with it already. It was, after all, my ORIGINAL intention (get an iBook).

I mean, there's no damn way I'm going to drop $2000-2600 on a 7455 PowerBook (if that most recent French rumor is right). I'd rather get a proven 900MHz G3 that I KNOW performs well (plus the great AirPort performance of the iBook).

Maybe the G4 PowerBook is a bust.

I am with yout totally. These rumours suck. I think since there are so few 15in in the chanel Ill get a used one of ebay w/ apple care, and maybe some extras. Yay no more waiting. I really dont think that there will be any powerbook any time soon. Untill 2004 when the whole line will go g5.
  • Reply 169 of 556
    Hello!

The rumors about the PB15 most be over. We have being speculating for more thant 3 months and all the rumors are false.

Matt31
  • Reply 170 of 556
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

If you are thinking of going that route, do this instead:

Buy a 12" PowerBook with a Combo Drive, an iPod, and a printer with the Education discount. Tell yourself that you would have bought the iPod and printer anyway (since of course, you just HAVE to have an iPod, and well, we all need printers), and in justifying the purchase to yourself, apply the entire $300 rebate amount to the PowerBook cost only.

Add that $300 rebate to the $200 discount already in place on the PowerBook, and you are now buying said notebook for mere $1099.

Actually, apply the $30 iPod discount to that too. Really make yourself think you got a freaking steal. That goddamned PowerBook only cost you $1069. Holy shit, how can you say no to a $1069 PowerBook.

Case doesn't attract scratches, you've got a G4, and it's even smaller and more portable than the iBook.

It's so ridiculously cheap that you won't care when the new ones roll out, and you can wait until next year to grab a new one - with a G5.

You will thank me later.

[ img ]PayPal donate button[ /img ]
  • Reply 171 of 556
    Ha...I had this big cool thing written out, then I read murbot's post. Bastard! Maybe he's right...

I had no idea they were that cheap.

Where is this stuff?
  • Reply 172 of 556
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Buy a bundle, get a bundle back.

$300 rebate.

12" Combo is $1399 at the Edu store, discounted from the regular retail price of $1599.

Edu price on all iPods is $30 less than regular retail.

That's $530 US. ($750 in Canada)

• Reply 173 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

... there's no way Steve Jobs would get up on a stage in Paris and announce 1.25 GHz G4 PBs. He'd be booed off the stage. If all we're going to get is a 15" AlBook that's like its 17" older brother, why not just issue a PR?...

I think this is a very good point. Everyone at Apple will be acutely aware of the current PB-update hype. (I can hear the excitement in her voice as even my telesales rep at the Apple Store UK speculates on new specs.) Apple, in the avatar of SJ no less, won't want to disappoint potential buyers in such a big way on such a big platform.

Why I think updates (whatever they are) will be announced in Paris (and not before, nor after):

.SJ is Key-Noting at Paris.

.Paris again - Surely there wouldn't be such an eagerly awaited and scrutinized update less than three weeks before a big publicity event with uber press attention and a big who-ha?

.As above, but for before read after. Damn - if we reach NOVEMBER 2003 with no update for the 12"/17" (10 months), let alone the 15" (1 YEAR!!!) - well... that's just @$*%&^£ stupid.

.The PB line is Apple's only portable that can compete IMHO with the high end Sony's, Toshiba's and Dell's of this world. Regardless of OS, they are quagmired in a perfomance bracket several months old.

."Channels are dry" (yeuch) - Why bruise sales by allowing underavailability for no reason?

.Education Deals have hit the UK - With stocks (by most accounts) already very low, why try to shift more PB units (or iBooks with an iPod and HP) for no reason? There are loads of these deals (USA, AUS etc Am I right?) and of course they end soon after University/College starts in each of those regions, but that's also not long after Paris ends.

.Something must be said for the rumour mill - There must be some grain of truth (I use that word loosely) from some "insider" that is reliable: it's just it's impossible to tell that truth from the BS. (I accept this may be more wishful thinking on my part.)

If i think of any more arguments either way, i'll let you know.
  • Reply 174 of 556
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

.Something must be said for the rumour mill - There must be some grain of truth (I use that word loosely) from some "insider" that is reliable: it's just it's impossible to tell that truth from the BS. (I accept this may be more wishful thinking on my part.)

Grain, I believe, is the proper term.

• Reply 175 of 556
    I did just see this though in the Terms and Conditions of the Apple Education Store's UK PB/iBook+iPod+HP deal

[http://www.apple.com/uk/education/pr...fun_more_done/]

-Qualifying products:

-Any Apple PowerBook or iBook portable computer (EXCEPT: M8758 iBook 800MHz/CD-ROM and Z06U iBook CD-ROM Configure-to-Order);

Note ANY PB... BALLS, BALLS, BALLS... and this lasts until 25 November 2003. Surely they wouldn't allow a new, updated PB, that people are gagging to buy, go for a discount on release. BALLS, BALLS, BALLS.

If I'm being level headed here this says to me no PB at Paris (and i just wrote that long post...)

BALLS. I don't wanna believe it...

Can anyone see a way around this so I can keep my dream alive of a spanking new PB for University (Beginning October)?
  • Reply 176 of 556
    Well, I couldn't wait. I had to get one... I just ordered a 15" Pbook 1ghz! YES! I am a switcher! I'll get a new one when it comes out too maybe, and let my wife have this one if the new one is a huge upgrade. If not, I'll wait for the G5 Pbook with Panther on it. Mine will be in next week! Man... this is so cool.

ME
  • Reply 177 of 556
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pc-to-mac

Well, I couldn't wait. I had to get one... I just ordered a 15" Pbook 1ghz! YES! I am a switcher! I'll get a new one when it comes out too maybe, and let my wife have this one if the new one is a huge upgrade. If not, I'll wait for the G5 Pbook with Panther on it. Mine will be in next week! Man... this is so cool.

ME

Congratulations. It is always a fun experience to unpack a new Mac.
  • Reply 178 of 556
    allenallen Posts: 84member
    Has anyone received a powerbook 12 or 15 from the Apple store recently?
  • Reply 179 of 556
    h4wkh4wk Posts: 11member
    Chalk up one more for caving in. I just couldn't wait any longer.

1Ghz 15" on the way ........
  • Reply 180 of 556
    And one by one, they all crumble...

Hey...why am I laughing?!?! I had my finger on the BUTTON today. I was honestly wavering between a 12" iBook and a 12" PowerBook.

The day ain't over yet either...