how do I speed up iMovie?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've made some Video-clips with iMovie now. I've used ugrabit from versiontracker.com to record Video from my iSight. It works really fine as long as there is good light.

It's a really impressive software, especially when I compare it to Windows Moviemaker (I actually never made a complete clip on this one, it just sucks).

I'm using a 12" Powerbook with the standard 256MB Ram.

Will the overall speed of iMovie be faster with more Ram?

Will rendering be affected too?

Is Final Cut Express faster then iMovie?

Is Final Cut Express worth the money for casual Movie-Editing?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Sorry, wrong forum.

Please move to software.

thanks
  • Reply 2 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Better yet... Digital Hub.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    RAM would certainly help. Movie clips, especially DV clips could easily take up all of that 256 MB of RAM. I believe DV footage is something huge like 100 MB for every minute. I've heard that FC Express is zippier, but I haven't used it myself. A bit overkill for my casual and occasional foray into filmmaking.

Are you using iMovie 3.0.3 and Quicktime 6.3? I found those updates helped too.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

RAM would certainly help. Movie clips, especially DV clips could easily take up all of that 256 MB of RAM. I believe DV footage is something huge like 100 MB for every minute. I've heard that FC Express is zippier, but I haven't used it myself. A bit overkill for my casual and occasional foray into filmmaking.

Are you using iMovie 3.0.3 and Quicktime 6.3? I found those updates helped too.

If the reports are anything to go by Panther MIGHT make a lot of dirrerence so before laying out for FCE wait for Panther and read the reports. BTW there are reports that some iApps are getting some point upgrades soon, but I don't think that includes iMovie.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Ehh, iMovie's sluggishly sluggish on Puma. And by the sound of it, Jaguar too.

But all the same, it's really meant for home video editing. Final Cut is for making films; Express is for hobbyists and Pro is for? well, Pros. I think it should depend on what you want to make, but if FCE is any faster than iMovie, I say take it. iMovie 3 is not acceptable.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

I've made some Video-clips with iMovie now. I've used ugrabit from versiontracker.com to record Video from my iSight. It works really fine as long as there is good light.

It's a really impressive software, especially when I compare it to Windows Moviemaker (I actually never made a complete clip on this one, it just sucks).

I'm using a 12" Powerbook with the standard 256MB Ram.

Will the overall speed of iMovie be faster with more Ram?

Will rendering be affected too?

Is Final Cut Express faster then iMovie?

Is Final Cut Express worth the money for casual Movie-Editing?

Thanks

more RAM is of paramount importance! and lots of free Gigs on your hd, because your system has a lot of work to do...

sure, this will speed up your system, iMovie and the rendering. buy as much as you can spend.

fce is totally different, i'm right now in the process of switching. imovie is very good in fast "hacking" a tape together; the tape itself is collected in ready-made parts, cut off here, cut off there, glue it together, maybe some transitions - you're ready.

fce is a real cutting tool; even importing isn't easy as iMovie; learning curve is much higher, it has a different concept; and it has litterarly thousands of possibilities, so, think first, act then, otherwise you are lost.

to get a feeling for cutting and producing a movie, iMovie is a very good start (e.g. now i do use a tripod much more - i can't stand these shakey pix anymore, especially while editing!); if you are interested in compositing, multi levels, audio/video split effects, nice grafix (importing photoshop files including all chanels is a dream feature in FCE!) and you want to spend a few weeks in learning this prg - just do it, it's worth every cent. look for some good books.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Rockets.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    AS far as startup times are concerned, It seems to startup much faster if I remove the language packs that don't need.

to do this:

Get info on the application

Under "Languages"

Delete or un-check any that you don't need