Mozilla 1.5b is out...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
...and I'm sorry to say, it renders sites more quickly than does Safari. Also it renders them correctly. Competition: it's a wonderful thing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

...and I'm sorry to say, it renders sites more quickly than does Safari. Also it renders them correctly. Competition: it's a wonderful thing.

Thanks for the link.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Uh,

Mozilla.org ... it's a tough one to remember. Really.

BTW, I should mention in fairness, ESPN's team pages are still FUBAR on Mozilla as well as Safari. With their close ties to MSN, ESPN has apparently gone *out of their way* to make sure the code doesn't display properly on non-MS browsers. The jerks.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    ...and I'm sorry to say that the interface is still clunky and atrocious and text manipulation is still wonky and still doesn't support any services.

Although it is getting better, I suspect I will never be satisfied with it since it'll never "feel" like a real native Mac OS X app.

note: I'm glad I was typing this in Safari! As soon as Mozilla loaded *this* page, it crashed. Glad to see the talkback agent is working, at least.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    What you need is the Pinstripe Theme . Should be ready for 1.5b shortly. Then your interface worries will be gone. Meantime, one must own up to the fact that Mozilla still has better standards compliance than Safari at this time.

Also, for whatever reason, I find recent builds of Camino and Mozilla download my files 15-25K/s faster than Safari. It's wierd. You'd think that would be the same for any browser as long as the connection is the same / time of day is the same.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    No, that doesn't do it.

Interface covers more than just the way something looks. Mozilla's problem is not just how it looks but also how it behaves.

Consider this question and I think you'll understand my point:

You can apply an Aqua theme to Windows XP but does that make it Mac OS X?
  • Reply 6 of 31
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Hey I like Mozilla! With or without Pinstripe! And don't forget, Camino looks and feels like a real OS X app.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

Hey I like Mozilla! With or without Pinstripe! And don't forget, Camino looks and feels like a real OS X app.

Only until you start using elements rendered by it's rendering engine.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Huh??
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Widgets aren't implemented as well as I feel they should be in Camino. They still look different, choppy?
  • Reply 10 of 31
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

someone has been reading arstechnica
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

someone has been reading arstechnica

Huh? I don't get it. Arstechnica tends to be a bit anti-Mac and, sometimes, I dare say, anti-Mozilla.

I can't help liking them a bit though, because of their in-depth articles and reviews, and because they're the main place I can find with screenshots of OS X DP2 (before Aqua!), through DP4, through 10.1.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Brad's worst nightmare:

A Mac OS X "mozilla" theme
  • Reply 13 of 31
    *sigh* You guys just don't get it. How many more ways can I say it? It's not the *look* of the interface that bothers me, it's the *behavior* of it.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

*sigh* You guys just don't get it. How many more ways can I say it? It's not the *look* of the interface that bothers me, it's the *behavior* of it.

Behavor? Yes, I know different UI's have different behaviors, but I never notice Mozilla's being notably different from, say, Mail or AppleWorks
  • Reply 15 of 31
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Behavor? Yes, I know different UI's have different behaviors, but I never notice Mozilla's being notably different from, say, Mail or AppleWorks

ryaxnb, DO NOT GO THERE.

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? VAL KILMER??
  • Reply 16 of 31
  • Reply 17 of 31
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Why does the link open Speed Download, which, AFAIK, I don't have installed? This is so annoying.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Why does Moz not use Aqua?
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Because Moz uses XUL, a cross platform UI toolkit. The idea of mozilla is to have one codebase running on many platforms.

There's nothing stopping developers using mozilla's rendering engine, gecko, in other apps (like say Camino) that use native widgets.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    The Mozilla project (as with any software project) has several objectives.

One of the objectives of Mozilla is to develop a platform-independant interface.

They have done this, and that's why the only "Aqua" interfaces for Mozilla are fake Aqua. Moz uses its own customized interface engine, not Cocoa or Carbon to draw widgets (unlike Safari).

This applies to web pages too (except for text), which is why buttons in Mozilla look like Windows.

Barto