Software for OSX

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've always considering getting an Apple system with OSX, but I'm not sure about making that jump. What I'd like to know is comparable software from Windows to OSX. Can anybody make suggestions?

Office -> Office for Mac

Microsoft Money -> Quicken

UltraEdit -> ???

JBuilder -> JBuilder for Mac

Putty -> ???

MySQL Front -> ???

Smart FTP -> ???

mIRC -> ???

Norton AntiVirus -> ???

Microsoft Remote Desktop -> ??? (I use this for work a lot)

Zone Alarm -> ???

Oracle Client Tools -> ???

Winzip -> ???

Winamp -> ???

WinRAR -> ???

Visual Studio .NET 2003 -> I know I can't get this

Also, I'm not used to purchasing much software. I assume the Mac crowd does, maybe?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member

I've always considering getting an Apple system with OSX, but I'm not sure about making that jump. What I'd like to know is comparable software from Windows to OSX. Can anybody make suggestions?

Office -> Office for Mac

UltraEdit -> don't know

Putty ->it's built-in, the terminal

MySQL Front -> phpmyadmin or cocoamysql (still beta)

Smart FTP -> transmit

mIRC ->don't know

Norton AntiVirus -> don't need it, but there's Virex or Norton

Microsoft Remote Desktop ->Ms Remote Desktop Client

Zone Alarm -> the built-in firewall or Brickhouse

Oracle Client Tools ->don't know

Winzip -> stuffit, already installed

Winamp -> iTunes!!!

WinRAR -> for decompression, there's macpar, for compression, there is a command line tool.

Visual Studio .NET 2003 -> I know I can't get this

You'll find that there are many more viable alternatives than the one's I've listed. They're just the ones I use. My additions in bold.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Wow, that's much better than I thought I'd get. I can't believe they make a Remote Desktop client. That's huge for me. I totally forgot about the fact I can use OSX like I do Linux (I love the command line and administer many Linux/UNIX servers). I know I probably shouldn't ask, but how is the warez scene for OSX?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CompiledMonkey

Office -> Office for Mac

UltraEdit -> Hydra?

Putty -> Mac is UNIX based, so SSH and such is native

MySQL Front -> don't know

Smart FTP -> I think most people would suggest Transmit?

mIRC -> no clue... Ircle, Snak maybe?

Norton AntiVirus -> Virex

Microsoft Remote Desktop - > Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac

Zone Alarm -> OS X built in firewall... use Brickhouse to configure if needed

Oracle Client Tools - > don't know

Winzip -> Stuffit

Winamp -> iTunes

WinRAR -> there's a command line version of WinRAR available

Visual Studio .NET 2003 -> [I know I can't get this]... yeah you have to use it through Virtual PC or some such

Quote:

Also, I'm not used to purchasing much software. I assume the Mac crowd does, maybe?

I'd guess more people who use Macs tend to actually spend money on software, though I have no numbers to back it up.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

snip.

Did you not read my post??
  • Reply 5 of 12
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Wow, that's much better than I thought I'd get. I can't believe they make a Remote Desktop client.

And...it WORKS!

I use an iBook exclusively at work (my own) but for 1 or two things, (mostly Exchange because Exchange through Entourage sucks and Exchange via the Web kinda sucks) I jsut jump on some remote PC off in some other room, but wirelessly from my Mac via RDC. Bang, fullscreen, "real" PC, (for what that's worth). No VPC-style lag either.

It's shockingly good.

Sometimes I use Coldfusion Studio through it, since no Mac editor understands the utility in coloring not merely the code text but the text's background as well. I need my CF and ASP to be black text on yellow background, like tooltips. Too bad BBEdit can't do that. Purely cosmetic.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Did you not read my post??

Hehe... yes, I read it, after I posted

Sorry, internet connection here has been messed up all week... thus it took me like 15 min to get a connection back up so I could post, and you already posted
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Hehe... yes, I read it, after I posted

Sorry, internet connection here has been messed up all week... thus it took me like 15 min to get a connection back up so I could post, and you already posted

np. Just thought I'd give you a hard time... Great minds think alike, apparently.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    A few additions to the previous posters:

PuTTy:

Mac OS X comes with a terminal program aptly named "Terminal" that can use such very powerful shells as bash, tcsh (the default), zsh, and others common on Linux and Unix operating systems. Mac OS X also comes with oodles of command line tools including telnet and ssh, the two key features of PuTTY.

MySQL Front:

phpMyAdmin. Link to Mac version here.

Smart FTP:

Transmit is the overwhelming favorite client of users on this forum as judged by recent discussion. It's my personal favorite as well. Mac OS X also has a built-it FTP server.

Norton AntiVirus:

Be happy you won't need it. There are no viruses for Mac OS X. Norton AntiVirus does exist for Mac OS X, but it doesn't really do anything of any value. It scans files for ancient Classic Mac OS viruses (that don't even affect Mac OS X) and scans for Windows viruses (also will never affect Mac OS X). There's also McAffee Virex.

Zone Alarm:

Mac OS X comes with a very robust firewall. The interface to it in the System Preferences, however, is very elementary and basic. Shareware tools such as BrickHouse (newer versions here) can offer very extensive customization of the firewall. If you want a firewall that will alert you immediately upon possible intrusions or apps phoning home, you can use Little Snitch.

Quote:

Also, I'm not used to purchasing much software.

So, what, you're a pirate? We don't take too kindly to pirates in these parts! If you mean you like to try shareware and freeware titles, though, you'll be happy to know there are LOTS of free/shareware titles for Mac OS X. The best place to look for software is MacUpdate.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

I know I probably shouldn't ask, but how is the warez scene for OSX?

You shall be smacked with a fish and publicly flogged. I'll go easy on you this time, though, since you are new.

See the Posting Guidelines:

Quote:

11. Posting requests or information about obtaining pirated or illegally-distributed software is prohibited. Any and all such posts may be removed without warning. If the offending member continues with such posts, he or she is subject to immediate suspension from the forums for any amount of time the administrators or moderators deem necessary. Furthermore, asking for technical support for pirated software is also not allowed and will be treated in the same mannar as posts that directly ask for pirated software.

• Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Wow, that's much better than I thought I'd get. I can't believe they make a Remote Desktop client. That's huge for me. I totally forgot about the fact I can use OSX like I do Linux (I love the command line and administer many Linux/UNIX servers). I know I probably shouldn't ask, but how is the warez scene for OSX?

Use a P2P program for your evil deeds, you little? you little stealer!

Hm, by the way, as P2P programs go Poisoned is a popular one. There are also Acquisition, Liberty and *shudder* Limewire, if you need to decide for yourself.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I use to develop entirely in a ColdFusion Studio environment for all my ColdFusion Apps. BUT NOW, on my OS X box i use JEdit. Color Coding, reads .cfm,php,html,.class files, really anything. Plus, its the only Free editor that has a dockable list bar. just like the file viewer on CF Studio. Plus it has FTP abilities through a plug-in. And the Plug-In sections are numerous and automatic. Check it out and let me know what you think ... www.jedit.org

Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

And...it WORKS!

I use an iBook exclusively at work (my own) but for 1 or two things, (mostly Exchange because Exchange through Entourage sucks and Exchange via the Web kinda sucks) I jsut jump on some remote PC off in some other room, but wirelessly from my Mac via RDC. Bang, fullscreen, "real" PC, (for what that's worth). No VPC-style lag either.

It's shockingly good.

Sometimes I use Coldfusion Studio through it, since no Mac editor understands the utility in coloring not merely the code text but the text's background as well. I need my CF and ASP to be black text on yellow background, like tooltips. Too bad BBEdit can't do that. Purely cosmetic.

• Reply 12 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Oracle Client Tools - > don't know

I believe that Oracle has ported their application suite to OS X, with the sole (current!) exception of the database itself.

I just checked their website, which wasn't helpful, but I remember the press release, and I found what looks like a helpful post on a Python mailing list, of all places. Since Oracle's committed to Java, and OS X has a solid Java implementation, I expect that most of their stuff will run on OS X without too much trouble.

See also SQL Grinder.