Who's the best guitarist ever?

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 117
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

oh man you're not serious are you? also it's bo, not bod.

you've never heard the "bo diddly beat"?

if every rocker who ever used it gave him a royalty his wealth would be vast.

buddy holly made a pretty good living from it.

We all know Bo, its this Bod Diddly guy that made #37 on the list that nobody has ever heard of...
  • Reply 102 of 117
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Ah, thought for a moment ithe list was erroneously including 'Bod Diddley' the well known Austro-Hungarian zither player and creator of such masterpieces as 'Bod Diddley's a zither-singer'....

you got a problem with the zither too?

you'd have hated my zither-accordian-bagpipe combo of the late eighties.

man we was somethin'!
  • Reply 103 of 117
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

you got a problem with the zither too?

you'd have hated my zither-accordian-bagpipe combo of the late eighties.

man we was somethin'!

I want a tape!
  • Reply 104 of 117
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    Pat Metheny, and no one has mentioned (unless I missed it skimming the thread) Eric Johnson. Pat's solos are absolutely amazing; they fit so perfectly with the chord structure and style. I'm also a fan of Al DiMiola, and Lee Ritenour is good too, even if his music can be a little annoying sometimes.
  • Reply 105 of 117
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I want a tape!

our sessions were recorded only by a court ceritified stenographer.
  • Reply 106 of 117
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

No Leo Kottke? He's ahead of even Hendrix in many respects.

even Kotke would laugh at that
  • Reply 107 of 117
    Pat Matheny is MUZAk that once tasted LSD . . . he should be excluded for his extreme lack of . . . well, lack of anything . .

and I have seen him and used to listen to him . .

only time he approaches having a definite statement is when he's stealing ideas from Ornette Coleman

By the way, Leo Kotke does not play in the same style as Steve Howe at all. Kottke is characterized by long modal playing that drifts around the same mode (key) and improvizes thusly, (an easy way to make lush sounds - though he takes it to another level for sure) while Howe plays psuedo-classically (acoustic) or "progressive" rock that has signature changes and psuedo-classical harmony structures . . . very different

Besides Howe has a very aggressive attack and tends to use a pick (and a thick one) along with his fingers (unless he's being pretentious and doing his 'mood=for a day' thing, where-as Kottke finger picks like a devil with lice . . .

That list is pretty lame . . . over half the people are there because they had hits and played guitar as well

while there are some glaring ommisions: every guitarist in King Crimson for example

And please tell me . . .oh why oh why is everybody under the false impression that there is something special about the way Clapton plays guitar!?!?!?!
  • Reply 108 of 117
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

well yeah, leo would, because that's the kind of guy leo is. but leo is extremely gifted, and has chops out the butt.

besides your comments about clapton (i remember them from earlier in the thread too) show that your opinion is pretty skewed, meaning if you can't see clapton's brilliance i'm not surprised you can't see leo's.

too bad leo has never set fire to, or humped his guitar, to garner more acclaim or fanfare.
  • Reply 109 of 117
    Quote:

Only because he's modest. There are plenty of things Kottke does that Hendrix never did because they play with completely differet styles and mechanics.
  • Reply 110 of 117
    Don't get me wrong, Leo Kottke is brilliant, he's amazing and far and above a more innovative and original and gifted talent than most people that are considered great guitarists. I know and appreciate his great talent.

But people who don't understand why even Kottke would say that about Hendrix don't understand what Hendrix was

Clapton, these days, is cheeseball who was once a decent blues guitarist (before his Deric and the Dominoes days and before Cream) and, he was a decent power-trio psychadelic song-player-guitarist (note that his psychedelic improvization, as evidenced on live Cream recordings, reveals how, up close and personal, and beyond his set of blues riffs, he's actually mediocre compared to the truly greats) Cream gives him 'aura' because it was unique, short-lived and turned out some very brilliant and timely songs.

(the guitar solo for "Sunshine of Your Love" is the melody for "Blue Moon" note for note!!! -- is that brilliant?!?)

His recent live concerts are embarassments: cheesy riff after cheesy riff strung together with "passionate" grimaces and meaningfull high-note bends and sustains - truly lame.

'Blue Mooooon

I saw you standing alone

not a gleam in my eye

not a love of my own
    "

--or something like that . . . .
  • Reply 111 of 117
    Quote:

Don't get me wrong, Leo Kottke is brilliant, he's amazing and far and above a more innovative and original and gifted talent than most people that are considered great guitarists. I know and appreciate his great talent.

But people who don't understand why even Kottke would say that about Hendrix don't understand what Hendrix was

Clapton sucks.

As for the Kottke/Hendrix thing, I realize Hendrix did a lot of things Kottke could never do, and was in a different class than most anything else. I just meant that Kottke can do things Hendrix wouldn't.
  • Reply 112 of 117
    Quote:

Clapton sucks.

now bunge, he doesn't suck....i agree he's gotten kind of lame, but he can't help he didn't die before he got old.

keith richards once said of alexis korner "he should be carried around in a sedan chair for the rest of his life just for putting the rolling stones together in one room for the first time."

eric clapton should be carried around in a sedan chair just for the bridge of "badge" alone, if not for a lot of other things.

don't make me list 'em.
  • Reply 113 of 117
    Quote:

now bunge, he doesn't suck....i agree he's gotten kind of lame, but he can't help he didn't die before he got old.

It certainly wasn't for lack of trying. OK, he doesn't suck. I own Blind Faith, some Cream, Derek & the Dominoes, and a few others. But according to Ginger Baker, back in the day Clapton broke up Cream because the band was pushing his boundries too far and he got scared.

To me, he's like a good actor that type casts himself, especially now.
  • Reply 114 of 117
    I think Alex Lifeson of Rush should be mentioned, he is an amazing player.
  • Reply 115 of 117
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Has anyone heard the late Danny Gatton? He was a super guitarist. In the jazz area...Tal Farlow is second to none..and I'm surprised that Django Reinhardt hasn't been mentioned....then there's Adrian Belew for his ability to extract almost any sound imaginable from a guitar....not forgetting Randy Rhoades in the metal/rock genres....Segovia was pretty good too (!)....don't forget Derek Bailey.

I saw a band the other week at a little club in LA, and the guitar player was stunning...no clue who he is....but he could wipe the floor with most of the *big names* out there re. originality and technique. He's probably paying to play...doing one gig each weekend...and working 2 jobs in the week....but thats the music industry these days.

• Reply 116 of 117
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

It certainly wasn't for lack of trying. OK, he doesn't suck. I own Blind Faith, some Cream, Derek & the Dominoes, and a few others. But according to Ginger Baker, back in the day Clapton broke up Cream because the band was pushing his boundries too far and he got scared.

To me, he's like a good actor that type casts himself, especially now.