Let's compare Dual G5 ship dates

Comments

• Reply 21 of 100
    Yeah, me too, but it doesn't matter much. This just means I won't have to pay for it for another month!

-- Mark
  • Reply 22 of 100
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    My Dual just got pushed to 9/26 as well. Anyone call them and ask why?
  • Reply 23 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Nice rig Hardcore!

Same setup as mine.

Had to go the Radeon 9800 Pro. 8)

Oh yeah: Putting the extreme in 'Quartz Extreme'. Between that getting my compile times down I'm not sure which I look forward to more

and of course, I'll _finally_ be able to play Freedom Force. stupid Rage 128.

It's good to bring a machine up to date with this decade
  • Reply 24 of 100
    CHECK AGAIN!! My dual is now 8/29 again!

EDIT: Back to 9/26. It's not a cache thing as the order status pages are timestamped.
  • Reply 25 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by qazII

CHECK AGAIN!! My dual is now 8/29 again!

Multiple servers not quite in sync. It'll change back, probably.

(How odd, mine has changed back too. Wouldn't this be an interesting mistake?)

-- Mark
  • Reply 26 of 100
    Mine is still holding strong at 10/29...
  • Reply 27 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardcore

The only thing that worries me is disk speed. I haven't owned an IDE drive since 1994 and I know it's not going to be _slow_ but still. I have 5 18GB SCSI drives laying around and I may just put them in an external case and bring the SCSI card over from my G3. We'll see.

Serial ATA might not be so bad, according to a few articles at tomshardware.com, it's an improvement over ATA. Here's the conclusion of one of the first articles in which they compare SATA controllers:

Quote:

Serial ATA is superior, but not faster than current parallel ATA solutions.

Read more for details...
  • Reply 28 of 100
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardcore

[B]Ordered 07/19

Shipping on or before 09/30/2003

BTO Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

BlueTooth Module

I have essentially the same config. I ordered on 7/15 (my Birthday!). As I've stated in several other threads, my order is still listed as 8/29 and I've been checking all day. We'll see what it says tomorrow.

Keep this in mind: I ordered through ADC and I have an .edu email address. (I tried convincing them to give me EDU status, but didn't get anywhere.) Not sure if either will help. I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow.
  • Reply 29 of 100
    I have two on order, one for my brother and one for his friend.

2x2Ghz, cd/dvd rom drive, 9800 now says 9/26/03

1.8 Ghz, stock config now says 9/12/03

Both were 8/26/03 a few hours ago.

I ordered the machines on 6/27/03.

I'm sad, but they are fast, beautiful machines.. my brother is like "oh well, I'll wait". :-)

I think they are worth waiting a few more weeks for.
  • Reply 30 of 100
    dual 2ghz with 1gig ram and 250gb HD, no modem, rest stock. Ordered at 12:26 PM PST (that should be PDT I would think, but I'll ignore it, heh) on 6/23.

Shipping date has remained at est on or before 8/29/2003 since early on. As others, I'm not really expecting it to be shipped tomorrow (:

and now it says 9/26 like other people have, at least they made my decision easy. Cancelled...
  • Reply 31 of 100
    I'm back at 8/29 again.

I guess I'm going to have to go to sleep sometime....

EDIT: Weird. I have 2 order status windows open. One says 8/29 and one says 9/26. Reloading updates the timestamp, but does not change either date.
  • Reply 32 of 100
    I am 29 and holding

plan "B"=push back dates in the middle of the night so they can hightail it to Mexico by tommorrow before the phones start ringing.

oops---just toggled to 9/26
  • Reply 33 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by qazII

Weird. I have 2 order status windows open. One says 8/29 and one says 9/26. Reloading updates the timestamp, but does not change either date.

I just managed to do this too. I open Camino, it gave me the new 9/26 date. I opened Safari, it gave me the old 8/29 date. Both I hit reload on, both updated the time stamp at the top, but each kept the opposing ship dates.

THEN, I cleared Safari's cache, quit and reopened to find the new 9/26 ship date.

Yes, this officially Sucks.
  • Reply 34 of 100
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    My machine is still listed as 8/29, as reported in multiple browsers. We'll see what tomorrow holds.
  • Reply 35 of 100
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    New Apple press release:

Apple Ships two Power Mac G5's before months end.

CUPERTINO, California?August 29, 2003?Apple® today announced that it has begun shipping a total of two dual 2.0 GHz Power Mac® G5's, the world's fastest personal computer.

"Ten days ago, Apple® said that we were on track to ship dual 2.0 GHz Power Mac G5 machines and today, Apple® has indeed delivered on its promise to ship these two machines before months end," said Phillip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide marketing.

"Further deliveries of dual 2.0 GHz Power Mac G5 computers will be determined at a date and time of our choosing and we hope to have current orders shipping by Christmas," added Mr. Schiller.

Powered by the revolutionary PowerPC G5 processor designed by IBM and Apple, the Power Mac G5 is the first personal computer to utilize 64-bit processing technology for unprecedented memory expansion and advanced 64-bit computation, while running existing 32-bit applications natively.

Delivering the industry?s highest system bandwidth, the Power Mac G5 line offers dual 2.0 GHz PowerPC G5 processors, each with an independent 1 GHz front-side bus, for an astounding 16 GBps of bandwidth. The line also features the industry?s highest bandwidth memory (400 MHz 128-bit DDR SDRAM with throughput up to 6.4 GBps); the industry?s fastest PCI interface available on a desktop (133 MHz PCI-X); and cutting-edge AGP 8X Pro graphics capabilities, all within a stunning new professional aluminum enclosure featuring innovative computer-controlled cooling for quiet operation.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.
  • Reply 36 of 100
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

New Apple press release:

Apple Ships two Power Mac G5's before months end.

please tell me you made that up.

btw, macminute is reporting that those people who ordered dual g5's are now being told they will have to wait another month before they start shipping (and unless you paid for overnight, expect another week or two before it gets to your door, and BTO, from past history, may take a little bit longer).

i'm sorry, guys, but this is all my fault. since i ordered my dual-g4 earlier this week, all of apple is apparently too busy to complete the g5 shipment. again, apologies.
  • Reply 37 of 100
    Whoa!---just moved up from 9/26 to 9/22
  • Reply 38 of 100
    tidristidris Posts: 214member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hawkman

Whoa!---just moved up from 9/26 to 9/22

Mine changed from 8/29 to 9/26 to 9/29 to 9/22. Come on people, we need a few more G5 order cancellations here! Why order a dual 2 GHz now when maybe you can have a dual 2.5 GHz in just a few months for maybe a lower price with maybe a free copy of Panther???
  • Reply 39 of 100
    odd thing is, back in early July I predicted we would see some wild gyrations on the dates and I was almost laughed off of the boards.

I have been at 8/31, 8/29, 9/26, 9/22 and it still ain't over.

getting a G5 is major operation, not for the faint of heart---it makes closing on a new house look like kids stuff.
  • Reply 40 of 100
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    PMG5 2.0GHZDP/512/160/SD/R9600PRO-USA

M9032LL/A

On or before

09/02/2003

$2,399.00

$2,399.00

This 9/02/2003 date hasn't changed since I ordered on 6/23.