IBM single chip 10GHz supercomputer

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
10GHz / 1 trillion operations per second.

Funded by DARPA.

Prototype elements by end of 2005.

Commercial release possible by 2010.

Being IBM / UT / DARPA, estimated performance and predicted dates are probably quite conservative.

Press release

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shawk

10GHz / 1 trillion operations per second.

Funded by DARPA.

Prototype elements by end of 2005.

Commercial release possible by 2010.

Being IBM / UT / DARPA, estimated performance and predicted dates are probably quite conservative.

Press release

So when are we getting the 10 GHz PowerBook!?!?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

So when are we getting the 10 GHz PowerBook!?!?

I think you'd need asbestos pants and possibly gloves to even operate that thing...

On the plus side, you can roast marshmallows over the keyboard while you code.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    That's sick...

...I want one.

• Reply 4 of 18
    It does make you wonder what the military wants to do with supercomputer performance on a single chip embedded processor, This could be something that could beat the worlds best chess players but come in something as small as a gameboy. Smarter smart bombs? Robotic weapons? With the F35 possibly being the last manned fighter plane it makes you wonder. Shades of T3 and Matrix come to mind
  • Reply 5 of 18
    I've been waiting on a 10GHz PowerBook for months. I mean if Apple doesn't deliver this soon, then I'm not spending my money on outdated over heated chips. Apple better get their act together or I'm going to Dell.javascript:smilie('')
  • Reply 6 of 18
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    That's 100 operations completed per cycle. Even if it's a theoretical number, that's huge.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Only 10GHz by 2010?!

That has to come close to maxing out silicon no? Bring on the next gen of computers!
  • Reply 8 of 18
    shawkshawk Posts: 116member
    DARPA may be funding this for potential casualty reducing/increasing devices, such as:

Autonomous powered munitions and devices. Intelligent imbedded weapons agents. Automatic personal self-defense and offense. Distributed information acquisition and analysis. Fast encryption/decryption.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    *l++*l++ Posts: 129member
    This sounds like a VLIW chip (similar to what Intel is using for the Itanic, oops Itanium.)

VLIW = Very Long Instruction Word
  • Reply 10 of 18
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    In the latestest WIRED mag theyhave an articler about two companies manufactuering Diamonds at very very low cost ($100 per carat) they are also developing a process to make diamond wafers for comp chip use. Should be available by 2006.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    We better see this chip in the PowerMac NEXT YEAR or I will be getting a DELL
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

We better see this chip in the PowerMac NEXT YEAR or I will be getting a DELL

CONFIRMED: I just ordered a dual 10Ghz PowerMac, it's supposed to ship tomorrow, but that's a different story.....
  • Reply 14 of 18
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macubus

CONFIRMED: I just ordered a dual 10Ghz PowerMac, it's supposed to ship tomorrow, but that's a different story.....

I recieved mine yesterday, but he refused to boot, i have to send it back to Apple. I phone to them , they said that they don't expect to send me back the computer until the next decade ...
  • Reply 15 of 18
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    My dad brought up an interesting point. G4's were only sold in the US for a while because the government considered a computer that could calculate 1 gigaflop a supercomputer and prohibited it's export. The same thing may happen with this processor. It could be "too fast" for the general public use and we could hit a glass ceiling for computer power. If this processor were released tomorrow as the G6, I think "higher forces" would prevent it from being sold or exported.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

My dad brought up an interesting point. G4's were only sold in the US for a while because the government considered a computer that could calculate 1 gigaflop a supercomputer and prohibited it's export.

Nope. There was never a time when the G4 was only sold in the US.

There are restrictions on importing certain types of computer to certain parts of the world, but no restrictions to Europe, Japan, and many, many others.

China has G4's, even though I heard some similar "too fast for export" rubbish at the time the G4 was released- with China being mentioned specifically.

I think much of this urban myth derives from the 'G4 with tanks' ad campaign.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Yes, the G4 was on the export restrictions list for certain countries because of its potential to help those countries to develop the types of simulation and design tools needed to improve their weapons. But I don't think that's the case anymore. I know of at least one foreign aircraft program that is developing a fly-by-wire computer using a militarized version of the 7410 processor. I'm sure it's even more commonly used in other avionics boxes for sensor signal processing.

Bring on the 10 GHz processor. There are always new real-time capabilities that can utilize the extra processing power.