Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?

Comments

• Reply 181 of 556
    nemesisnemesis Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by H4wk

Chalk up one more for caving in. I just couldn't wait any longer.

1Ghz 15" on the way ........

Me too! Buying 15in in 3...2.....1..SOLD

.Oh well itll be fine. And maybe ill get Rev 2 of the G5 powerbook next year. Ya I'll just keep telling myself that.
  • Reply 182 of 556
    I also recently purchased a Ti Book (1GHz/512mb). As I see it, this is perhaps the "last" version of the 15" PowerBook in its Titanium incarnation. It has undergone countless revisions and improvements since its release a number of years ago. As a result it has been honed down, tweaked, adjusted to where it has gotten to a point of extreme reliability and efficiency. It is "battle-proven" with a number of generations of refinements. This last Ti model is probably as good as it will ever get.

The problem with buying a newly introduced Aluminum (perhaps) 15" PowerBook (if it ever does come out) is that it will be first generation. Sure it will be faster and will have extreme-everything with all the bells and whistles. But remember, it will still be first generation and the nature of that beast is that it will surely have glitches and what-nots that will have to be weeded out in the successive generations until it will probably reach the state of perfection the Ti is in now... and then Apple will discontinue even this "new" one.

The key is to buy it when it has been honed to perfection! At least that's how I see it.
  • Reply 183 of 556
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    I'm buying in 2 weeks...

What?

Whatever is available....

MSKR
  • Reply 184 of 556
    tvc15tvc15 Posts: 24member
    Quote:

I'm buying in 2 weeks...

I'm possibly buying a 12" PB on Sept. 8th (the supposed ship date for my college computer store). I wish that I had bought one a couple of months ago when they had plenty in stock. I would be a much happier person today.

I'm going to start a list of assignments that I've been given that I'm unable to start because I don't have a PowerBook. I should send it to Apple. Last night, I asked an Apple Store rep what other highend laptop Apple recommends getting instead of a PowerBook considering the shortage. He didn't really get my point. I just wish that Apple would give a sign that the PowerBook line is getting revised, albeit a little delayed. I know that many of my classmates have gotten Sony laptops instead of the recommended Macs just so they can do the work. There's even someone who "switched" but went to the other side from Mac.

Brian
  • Reply 185 of 556
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

And one by one, they all crumble...

Hey...why am I laughing?!?! I had my finger on the BUTTON today. I was honestly wavering between a 12" iBook and a 12" PowerBook.

The day ain't over yet either...

I pulled the trigger last week on a 12" PowerBook, 15GB iPod, and printer. Couldn't resist that massive discount, and I am sick of waiting my life away.

• Reply 186 of 556
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

what about ibooks update??? when were they last updated and what the possibility of superdrive in the ibook

iBooks were updated in late spring, so I expect another update in late fall. The SuperDrive will appear when the iBook inherits the G4, and not before: iDVD requires AltiVec.

pscates: Get the iBook. It's a great little machine.
  • Reply 187 of 556
    I was at CompUSA and the guy told me that the new powerbook might not ship until after thanksgiving. He did tell me that his apple rep said that the specs would come out in the next couple of weeks. So i guess it may be a long wait.
  • Reply 188 of 556
    Ok, so I wanted to reply to this thread but instead I posted a new thread, stupid me. Any ways the bottom line is I just ordered a 12" PB, so I guess this means Stevo will announce the new PB line up at the Paris Expo in Sept. I really hope something exciting comes out of the expo with all the hype and rumors flying around. This will just mean I will have to wait another year to get the new generation of PBs.
  • Reply 189 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by allen

Has anyone received a powerbook 12 or 15 from the Apple store recently?

I received a 15" PB yesterday. It was ordered less than a week before through the Apple store. My shipment came from Taiwan. So I'm guessing they are still being run through production, this did not come from a warehouse in CA.

I was just sick of waiting for the updates. Plus I'm going to Rome, the reason I needed a laptop, just 2 days into the Paris Expo. Either way, I loose. Personally, I would be there will be some kind of update to the PB at the Expo, whyelse would Steve be speaking there. That's my 2 cents.

I am also awaiting a 1.8 Ghz G5 that I ordered the day they were announced. My shipment date has been moved to 9/15. Yes, I'm not to happy about that, but hey, I have a new PB to play with, I can't complain that much.
  • Reply 190 of 556
    I caved & bought a 17" PB (it's been a month now! woohoo!), after much anguish & agony following WWDC & (what used to be) MWNY... and I really am happier for it. As long as the G5 PB isn't introduced anytime soon, I expect I'll be a happy camper for a long time to come. And even if that happens, for all intents & purposes this machine does what I need it to do- what more can I really ask for? Heck, I'm happy just to have this thing sitting on my desk for me to stare & smile at.
  • Reply 191 of 556
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CGillio

I was at CompUSA and the guy told me that the new powerbook might not ship until after thanksgiving. He did tell me that his apple rep said that the specs would come out in the next couple of weeks. So i guess it may be a long wait.

My first reaction was "guy at CompUSA, feh." But then specs in a couple of weeks (read: Paris). Not out until after Thanksgiving that's ten weeks after Paris. Would Apple pre-announce a product that far?? Allegedy, the Powerbooks were ready to ship save for a indeterminate problem that delayed them until next month.

Does not compute.

Screed
  • Reply 192 of 556
    Just went to the Apple online store here in Australia, and the build time for one of those 1 Gig suckers is 3-4 weeks. I really do suspect that the PB's will be available on announcement.

Even the internal channel site states that next shipment is week 2/3 of September.

Start your Credit cards ladies and gentlemen......

• Reply 193 of 556
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    pscates et al.

I have a TiBook 867 that I bought in March. I have had previous Ti's that wavered in build quality, and I can honestly say this lastest rev is the best of all of them. After all the rumors in Jan & Feb about an aluminized 15-inch failed to materialize, I couldn't wait any longer and basically got this one to tide me over. More than six months later, I'm so glad I didn't wait. Yet I still want a Al15, which what I originally told myself I'd get after I saw the new aluminum models and read the rumors of the time. I thought WWDC would be the end of waiting for the Al15, and so thought MWCP in July was it, now, here it is almost Sept, and still no Al15. Damn it!

I still dislike the TiBook. The 17-inch is great. My friend has one. I have touched it and used it. Much better than the Ti will ever be. Smooth hinge, better keyboard. Immediately noticeable positive improvements over the Ti. I can't wait until those two features alone come to the 15-inch in an aluminum styling. Although I would prefer a 15-inch aluminum PowerBook, I am considering the 17-inch. I go back and forth on it's size. But to buy one now would be foolish because I think it too is close to an update as well.

Now I work at a school and we have tons of iBooks. I have used the newer iBook running OS X Jag. Aside from the performance being just okay, I feel constrained by its small screen. I'm spoiled by the Ti's 15-inch screen. I like the finish of the new iBooks, while some people don't. I think if Apple were to make a widescreen 15-inch iBook it would be a *hot* seller. Regardless, the current selection of iBooks is so meager compared to the PowerBook, I don't think it should be an option in your book.

As far as the PowerBook G4 12-inch...again it comes back to the screen and the lack of DVI out. It is nice, though. It doesn't give me the impression of an iBook with a G4 as some people say. I definitely feels more solid than the iBook. The keyboard is just as nice as the 17-inch, although not backlit of course, and, again, the alu finish is nice, smooth, and rigid.

The point to this whole story is, I have used all these iterations of Apple's current PowerBooks and iBooks, and given how close it seems we are to new revvs, you should seriously wait for the 15-inch if that is what you initially set out to get. If that's what you really want in your gut...hold off until it comes... if you can wait. That's just my 2¢ of friendly advice. Do what you need to do though.
  • Reply 194 of 556
    h4wkh4wk Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

I pulled the trigger last week on a 12" PowerBook, 15GB iPod, and printer. Couldn't resist that massive discount, and I am sick of waiting my life away.

I agree totally. I bought an iPod (10 gig) last week and have been completely overwhelmed by the quality of it. Then I couldn't wait any longer and pushed the button on the 15" 1 ghz / 512meg ............ Shame on me........

It still sucks that I have to wait on the damn thing to ship ....... One thing that still needed to be updated on the 15" before a total revision is for the cdr/cdrw ..... common people, an 8x cdr???? thats pathetic.
  • Reply 195 of 556
    Quote:

Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?

Paris.
  • Reply 196 of 556
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    I was just at my local Apple store tonite, and while I'm not any happier, I have decided to sit on my purchase til after Paris. If no new hardware is introduced the 16th, I'll still be happy to get "stuck" with a TiBook, because it will still be the best 15" Apple laptop available. Yes, I know, I know....

Anyway, I really went around the different 'books, and I gotta tell you, the 17" Al just didn't look like it was wearing as well as the 15" Ti. I know TiBooks get a bad rap for durability on the finish, but the 17" I checked out looked a bit... ratty. That worried me a bit. By comparison, my stepfather is visiting with his 667 TiBook, and it looks brand-new.

The Apple guy I was talking with was very cool, and very knowledgeable. He seemed to feel new 'books were on the way in Sept, but had no hard evidence. He did tell me they were glutted with 15" TiBooks, and had just gotten ten the day before. Supplies may be short most places, but apparently not at any Apple stores! He even had some G5s for sale.

My own personal feeling is that G5 books are on the way MWE Paris. I have absolutely no hard evidence (why would I be any different?), but the circumstantial evidence coupled with the long long (long, long, long, oh so long) time since the 15" was updated, along with Apple's ability to really freak our shit out is making me hopeful.

If whatever (if anything) is introduced on the 16th isn't immediately available, however, I'll be getting a trusty old TiBook.
  • Reply 197 of 556
    mr. tmr. t Posts: 4member
    Dear sirs,

(i haven´t posted since i bought my 12" PB, but i have read).

It seems to me that you are all trying to figure out if there will be a large revision at the Paris Expo, by concentrating on what the rumour-mills and sneak sites have to say. But the largest indicator of an upcoming revision (in my opinion), comes from Apples total silence.

Apple are always quiet about their revisions, i have a few friends working for Apple, and they do tell me that they have a lot of emphasis on keeping secrets regarding updates and so on.

So, add this to the embarresment suffered by Apple over the leaked G5 specs at the last Expo, and we have an Apple that are at "Zero Tolerance" over any kind of leakage on a G5 PB update (if there is one). And this correlates with what we see, (as in, not a single verifiable rumour or leaked tech spec).

This doesn´t prove anything, but we also know Steve Jobs has a handy knack for giving the Apple lovers what the want. And i am quite sure he has his ear to the ground in rumour sites like this. If he had no G5 up his sleeve, and he is being so secretive over what he has to reveal at Paris, he would know that everyone would be pissed off.

So, if there was no G5, there would be leaked specs, just like there has been with the next revision of the iMac. (we know everything about it before it´s even been announced).

Another point is that Apple like being first, wireless, LCD screens, USB, Firewire... the list goes on, innovation.

There has never been a time before when Apple have been so far behind in terms of CPU (up until the G5 announcment), and although they can kinda say they had the first 64 bit Workstation (sun microsystems... what??), They could definetly lay claim to the first 64 bit Laptop if they have a G5 PB. Unless they delay by a few weeks and then AMD will snatch it up with HP or Sony or someone. (And AMD need it to stay level in terms of tech with intel, they would have this as a high priority).

For my money, i would bet if Apple had a priority since they chose IBM and the G5, it would have been to get the G5 into PB´s. Another "first" would be theirs, and they would be thrown right back to the top in terms of speed and technology.

This is all supposition, but its as factual as reading a few mac rumour sites.

And its just looking at the situation from a different perspective.
  • Reply 198 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

If whatever (if anything) is introduced on the 16th isn't immediately available, however, I'll be getting a trusty old TiBook.

That will never happen!

If a G5 Powerbook is announced in Paris that will ship 1 month after the event. You'd be stupid to laydown your cash on the soon to be out dated G4 Powerbook.

I know most mac owners see their purchase as an appreciable investment (they'll make money with it). But your Powerbook will lose almost half it's value in 1 month. Besides the life of the laptop will be shorter as more and more programs will optimize to the G5, you'll just want a "new" one...

I'm buy a G5 Powerbook or nothing! Paris baby, Paris!
  • Reply 199 of 556
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Dr., you are going to be SO let down and disappointed. I'd suggest you rein in those "G5 PowerBook in Paris" thoughts just a tad...

• Reply 200 of 556
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Dr., you are going to be SO let down and disappointed. I'd suggest you rein in those "G5 PowerBook in Paris" thoughts just a tad...

I, too, believe that the next PowerBook is going to be a G4, whether it's the 7455B or the 7457. I'm buying whatever aluminzed 15-inch replacement is announced, G4 or G5.