900mhz iBook- Should I Buy One?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

If I'm not mistaken, all of these test apps (including Q3) are altivec-optimized. This is an old, old story - unless the app is optimized for altivec, G3 = G4.

Yeah, but OS X is optimized, iTunes is optimized, all the graphics apps are optimized...get it?
  • Reply 22 of 29
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iJAFO

I'm thinking about getting a 900mhz iBook. I will be using it primarily for watching DVDs on airplanes, burning CDs of photos from a digital camera when I'm on vacation, Playing MP3's, Web Browsing, MacMAME and a little Photoshop/Illustrator work when I absolutley must (I have a Dual 1ghz MDD for the heavy lifting of real work.)It will therefore be kind of an 'entertainment' machine. I was thinking iBook vs. Powerbook for more of a 'durability' issue rather than an overall performance beast. Any thoughts from anyone who owns one? (and is there any indication they'll be updated soon? I was hoping to get by October! Thanks!

iBook's are fine for those tasks. I have a 900Mhz iBook, and it works well. However, if you do get a PB, wait till at least mid-Sep; rumors are abound that new models of PB's will come out soon.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

You really shouldn't get an iBook right now. The current iBook is really a step backwards from previous iBooks: it has a lousy keyboard, it doesn't look as nice, and it STILL doesn't support Airport Extreme.

The Powerbook, on the other hand, has Airport X, an exceptionally tactile keyboard, and looks like a million bucks. Not to mention that it's a lot faster than the iBook in all aspects.

And at only $200 or so more than the iBook (and with prices recently dropped), it's a really good deal.

Just my 2 cents.

"All aspects"? Someitimes the iBook is faster, and you can get one sooner (better wait for new PB's), and it comes with AppleWorks (now don't start being anti-AW!).
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by iJAFO

The budget really isn't the concern... I was mainly thinking that the iBook seemed a bit more 'rugged' for a lot of travel. Do the Aluminum 'books get scratched up easily? A good portion of what it'll be used for is to show DVDs & Interactive CD-ROMS to my kids when we travel. Rather than just buying one of those DVD/LCD players, I thought I'd spend a few extra bucks and get something that can work a little, play music, games and burn CD's on the go. I'll never need a superdrive in it. I figured the speed would be fine for the aformentioned uses. This thing will be around a wife and kids, so it won't be treated with much reverence if you catch my drift...

iBooks are good at playing DVD's I believe. Btw. You might want the 14" model so they don't have to squint.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

Keep in mind though that the 12" Powerbook produces far more heat than the iBook. It gets hot. Really hot.

And it has shorter battery life (the PB), even over the 14" iBook. AND the iBooks from somewhere (forget where) apparently have a built-in SuperDrive.

Just look at these prices:

$1,362 (added mem from ramseeker) or $1,562 with 14"

384 MB RAM

SuperDrive (free from somewhere)

Bluetooth USB

3-4 hr. batt life

$1,799

256MB RAM

SuperDrive

Bluetooth

2.5-3.5 or so. batt life.

Yes I'm iBook biased (I own one, duh).
  • Reply 26 of 29
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

"All aspects"? Someitimes the iBook is faster, and you can get one sooner (better wait for new PB's), and it comes with AppleWorks (now don't start being anti-AW!).

Sorry, but if Apple can't make a good product, I'll use the vastly superior alternative, even if it happens to be made by Microsoft.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Sorry, but if Apple can't make a good product, I'll use the vastly superior alternative, even if it happens to be made by Microsoft.

I suppose you mean AW. Well if those goes crazy we'll have to create another thread... anyway, true, Office is in general, better. But in some areas it's less polished. Also, AW has painting and drawing areas, which are, IMHO, an important part if an Office suite (whether for novices or semi-pros.) And, AW has much better integration with itself. And again, AW has a database (if a basic one); Office for Mac doesn't. AW has the features most people need at home, and, IMO, is at the very least a good thing to have alongside Office (because of painting, drawing, database, and integration.) And while I'm getting Office, that's only because my mother isn't used to AW's feel.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I have a Dual GHz SlowSilver? as my workstation

My "entertainment machine" is an 800Mhz iBook with CD-ROM drive

Reason I picked the CD-ROM version over the combo:

1) I don't use laptop to burn CDs!

2) Playing DVDs on a laptop sucks out battery like a sucking pig

3) I only use the laptop to do demonstrations and don't need anything fansy

4) If I really want to "watch" DVDs on the road I will just prepare the files (Copy the files from the DVD and do the decryptions....takes about 20 minutes for one movie DVD) and then transfer to the iBook. Loading movies from the HD saves a lot of battery. Also I don't want to carry extra disc on the road....and I don't want to lose them. I even hacked the DVD player to bypass the DVD drive scan. It works great

5) Dual monitor support can be done on iBook by hacking it. And it works.

6) It's cheaper, $420 CDN cheaper than the combo iBook and $800 CDN cheaper than the 12" PB.

Jesus....a lot of hack jobs happened on my iBook already
  • Reply 29 of 29
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    the 12" AlBook is very hot after an hour of use