irrelevant thought about serious news event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Quote:

Aug. 30, 2003 _|_ GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) -- Israeli helicopters fired four missiles at a van traveling in the Gaza Strip on Saturday, killing two Hamas militants, hospital officials and witnesses said.

The van had been moving slowly in heavy traffic -- turning from a side road onto a main highway between two refugee camps, Nusseirat and Bureij -- when it was hit and burst into flames, witnesses said.

Two male bystanders, ages 40 and 45, were wounded by shrapnel, hospital officials said. Angry crowds gathered quickly around the car, chanting "God is great."

Blown up by their mortal enemies, the car is burning and ruined with two people killed . . . so they gather around and rythmically chant "God is Great" - - - ?

why does that seem funny?

If it weren't so terrible i'd still be laughing at the stupidity!!

What!!!!?

are they revelling in the proof of God's greatness?!?: his greatness revealed by the death of two people and a blown up car?!?!

the idiocy of religions (all of them damn it!! (except Tantra, Taoism and Tantric-Buddhism)) is driving me nuts!!!! I'm sick to death of religious arseholes!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

What!!!!?

are they revelling in the proof of God's greatness?!?: his greatness revealed by the death of two people and a blown up car?!?!

Maybe you should try to understand it a little and know what is going on before you judge it.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    We've had thousands of years of "understanding" religious idiocy . . . thousands of years, millions of murders, religion-currupted empires and toppled nations, millions of enslaved 'heathen' etc etc . . . for what?!?!

an illusion

• Reply 3 of 30
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

his greatness revealed by the death of two people and a blown up car?!?!

No. His greatness will be revealed in the response.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    I agree there are ignorant, stupid and hateful people out there "in a context of religious interpretation" People that cheer violence, killing and pain are very sick people in my humble opinion.

Too many people are led astray from true love and understanding. It is my hope that more hearts can come to know love.

Fellowship
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

I agree there are ignorant, stupid and hateful people out there "in a context of religious interpretation" People that cheer violence, killing and pain are very sick people in my humble opinion.

Too many people are led astray from true love and understanding. It is my hope that more hearts can come to know love.

Fellowship

right on!
  • Reply 6 of 30
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Its just a phrase. If I said "Fortunetly I was not in the car that was blown up" in danish, fortunetly (gudskelov)would, word for word, mean "god happens law" or "let gods law happen" and that doesn´t have much to do with the meaning of fortunetly. But from someone not familiar with the danish language a religious meaning would probably be put into it. SOmething that I can guarantee you isn´t the intent of anyone uing the word gudskelov

When they yell "Allah is great" I am sure they really don´t think of Allah in that moment but its a way to express that they have heated feelings.

Don´t take everything litterally.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Blown up by their mortal enemies, the car is burning and ruined with two people killed . . . so they gather around and rythmically chant "God is Great" - - - ?

why does that seem funny?

What!!!!?

the idiocy of religions (all of them damn it!! (except Tantra, Taoism and Tantric-Buddhism)) is driving me nuts!!!! I'm sick to death of religious arseholes!!

I think you made a wrong interpretation. They do not consider this blown like a proof of god greatness. They chant is a chant of revenge meaning " we will win". Islam is their flag for this people, so whatever wrong who came, they refer to god greatness as a sign of hope.

What you should expect from these people : that they enter in deep depression and take pills ? They are combative that's all. It's good to be combative, but the only problems is that violence is bad. But this an another story.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Its just a phrase. If I said "Fortunetly I was not in the car that was blown up" in danish, fortunetly (gudskelov)would, word for word, mean "god happens law" or "let gods law happen" and that doesn´t have much to do with the meaning of fortunetly. But from someone not familiar with the danish language a religious meaning would probably be put into it. SOmething that I can guarantee you isn´t the intent of anyone uing the word gudskelov

When they yell "Allah is great" I am sure they really don´t think of Allah in that moment but its a way to express that they have heated feelings.

Don´t take everything litterally.

Well said Anders, that's what i tried to say, but in a more obscure manner.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Well said Anders, that's what i tried to say, but in a more obscure manner.

My reply was given possibly in a mistaken context if the "God is Great" statment was indeed intended to reflect another thought process.

I admit I am not a language expert.

Fellowship
  • Reply 10 of 30
    allahu akbar is a catch-all praise to god. The real stupid person is the one that is sitting all high, mighty, comfortable and safe with his upscale life who judges people in a moronic way over what they do to cope with multiple violent deaths.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

allahu akbar is a catch-all praise to god. The real stupid person is the one that is sitting all high, mighty, comfortable and safe with his upscale life who judges people in a moronic way over what they do to cope with multiple violent deaths.

Wow giant, not sure if that was directed towards myself or pfflam but could it not be a mistaken read of what was quoted within the news piece?

Just a possibility

Fellowship
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

My reply was given possibly in a mistaken context if the "God is Great" statment was indeed intended to reflect another thought process.

I admit I am not language expert.

Fellowship

Sometimes, don't be a native english speaker give me an advantage : i have to read twice or sometimes more, something before replying to it
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

I think you made a wrong interpretation. They do not consider this blown like a proof of god greatness. They chant is a chant of revenge meaning " we will win". Islam is their flag for this people, so whatever wrong who came, they refer to god greatness as a sign of hope.

Of that I was very aware . . . I am merely pointing out the unacknowledged fact that they are praising God when God clearly smacked them in the face.

Like the post above yours: what if "god is great" istaken as the same as saying "there but for the Grace of God go I " (similar to "god happens law") --which I don't think they are saying, But . . .

if so then they are probably unconsciously are actually quite glad that 'there but for the grace of God go they' -mixed in with their other emotions, and, truly are in some deeper sense celebrating . . . as Freud would say ambivalence is the reality of most emotional states . . but we repress half of what we feel because the reality of it would horrify us . . .

anyway . . . sleepy gleepy . . . beddy byebye
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:

Now i think that we could cool off, this story is just a matter of interpretation, it's not necessary to make an another flamewar here.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:

your the 'up above' arsebite here buddy . . . get off your friggin porcelain planter

Yeah sure . . people deal with death by turning to religion . . . but too often, and seemingly often lately, we get to hear how "great" god is before, during, or after a bunch of people get killed . . .

--he sure is great -let's get revenge!!!

--God is the only God, oh yeah . .. and let's kill some heathens too!

or more like it:

--we're in the shiithouse, our people are dying, Im hungry, my home was bulldozed, my local bomb maker just got killed -oh boy, (catch-all praise to god) god sure is great.

Maybe if they wouldn' support the religious militants God might start to stop the killing (on all sides)
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:

Now i think that we could cool off, this story is just a matter of interpretation, it's not necessary to make an another flamewar here.

Of course, it is extremely indicative of the ridiculous ignorance that leads to intolerance and eventually violence. What if I said: "what's with those jews? They chop of parts of their kids' penises? If it weren't so terrible i'd still be laughing at the stupidity (as pfflam put it)" It would offensive, right? So how is it not in this more serious case?

I am really having a hard time understanding why people feel so compelled to form negative opinions about things they know nothing about.

PS, pfflam, you realize that tantric buddhism is by definition ritualistic buddhism and therefore the extreme opposite of rational, don't you? That's what the whole 'tantra' part is about. You want rational, look at vipassana in the tradition of sayagyi u ba khin
  • Reply 17 of 30
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    God is great, but he's not Val Kilmer.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

God is great, but he's not Val Kilmer.

Thats my luck. If he were then I would be truly offended.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

Of that I was very aware . . . I am merely pointing out the unacknowledged fact that they are praising God when God clearly smacked them in the face.

Nor do any people who have the faith. They praise god when their child have a several disease or whatsever.

They do not say : " i hate you god, my child is dying by your fault, he is an innocent being ...".

Some people after such a bad story, stop to believe in god, but others continues because it give them the strenght to continue to live.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:

Nor do any people who have the faith. They praise god when their child have a several disease or whatsever.

They do not say : " i hate you god, my child is dying by your fault, he is an innocent being ...".

Some people after such a bad story, stop to believe in god, but others continues because it give them the strenght to continue to live.

Actually in Jewish folklore there is stories about people blaiming god and even trying him in the courts.

One of these stories is about a person blaming od for someting and god taking the responsibility and the person forgiving god! The funny part of the story is when next time the person talks with his rabbi the rabbi blaims him for not taking advantage of the situation now that he had god by the balls...