New Theory: Powerbook will not come until 10.2.7 is finished!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I found the following on the Think Secret site:

As for 10.2.7 build 6R50, the update provides improvements to Finder, Graphics, Classic compatibility, Audio, Bluetooth, Safari, LDAP, Power Management, and FireWire/USB device compatibility, as well as updated security services. There is only one known issue; DVD Player may not be functional on some machines. Apple's suggested test plan was to concentrate testing on Bluetooth, FireWire, USB, PCMCIA cards (especially USB 2.0 cards), and ATI/Nvidia graphics drivers.

The same site says the 'books are ready since mid-August. Could it be that there are still some software problems to iron out? DVD Player on some new nVidia GPU (please Apple gimme ATI) or some USB 2.0 problems (I hope the new Powerbooks will have UDB2.0 ports besides Firewire).

You'll find the info I was referring to at the following URLs:

- http://www.thinksecret.com/news/panther7B49.html

- http://www.thinksecret.com/news/augustpowerbooks.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    10.2.7 is currently pre-installed on PowerMac G5 ... how could it if it isn't finished??? ... the next keynote with steve jobs is in paris mid september... look for new powerbooks around that date...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krassy

10.2.7 is currently pre-installed on PowerMac G5 ... how could it if it isn't finished??? ... the next keynote with steve jobs is in paris mid september... look for new powerbooks around that date...

There is some build of 10.2.7 installed on the G5. But Apple is still working on the general release of 10.2.7. Potentially "something new" in the 'books needs some work (graphics chip?).

We've seen these situations before with new hardware, the new hardware is delivered with special builds that merge into the generally available OS in the next release.

10.2.7 is not here yet!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    As ThinkSecret said, there are two builds of 10.2.7.

Smeagol for the Power Mac G5

Blackrider for the PowerBook G4 (yes I was wrong about that)

ThinkSecret ALSO said that the PowerBooks have been ready for release back in mid-August. Motorola is the likely culprit, as Apple can't really upgrade the 'Books without faster chips.

I don't know if there will ever be a general release of 10.2.7.

Barto
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

I don't know if there will ever be a general release of 10.2.7.

There will.